PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to Flush Radiator! What appears to be visible White stuff in Coolant

Brother Esau
03-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I am a water cooling n00b so what did I know about flushing a Radiator prior to use?:sofa: Anyway my question is this......the Fluid is Straight Feser 1 UV Green Coolant so rather then loose $25.00 can I strain the Coolant through a Coffee Filter and strainer and be able to Salvage $25.00 worth of the Coolant?

eponymous
03-08-2009, 12:58 PM
For the minimal cost, I'd say buy some new coolant.

But flush your radiator with warm water and vinegar mix first. :)

pby5cat
03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
The white stuff is most likey plastizicer leeching out from your tubing. This happens on almost all tubing after some amount of time in the loop, and it will only happen once for that set of tubing.

give it a few more weeks then take it all a part, pull some cotton cloth though the tubes, clean/wash out ur waterblocks and rads, and replace the fluid.

halo112358
03-08-2009, 01:30 PM
I like how you spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to build a watercooled rig and now you want to half-ass it on changing your $25 coolant. No offense intended, but the irony is epic.

You could probably get away with the coffee filter if you really had to, you're doing a similar thing to what people sometimes do with a pentek filter inlined following a new rad. If you do run the filtration you're probably going to lose some of the UV dye they added into the coolant

Sn@ke:~
03-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Once the coolant get old there is a chemical reaction that cannot be reverse which id the reason for flushing just like a car rad therefore you can't reuse it. What would be the point of flushing something if you want to keep??? Unless it is fairly new less than 6 month for say.

It would be like saying I'm going to the bathroom I'll flush the bowl but keep what is inside of it???:ROTF::rofl:

No offense

halo112358
03-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Oh, how old is the coolant? Is it brand new, or has it been running for a few months?

Eddie3dfx
03-08-2009, 01:42 PM
That really sucks.
You could always buy the dye.

Brother Esau
03-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Oh, how old is the coolant? Is it brand new, or has it been running for a few months?

LOL ......its Brand New Man:D Yea well Brain Fart Indeed but I am Human and new to this so yes....Me....n00b:p:

For what its worth I would prefer to be able to salvage it just for the fact that it is brand new and I don't like to waste if it can be avoided:up:

Brother Esau
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Once the coolant get old there is a chemical reaction that cannot be reverse which id the reason for flushing just like a car rad therefore you can't reuse it. What would be the point of flushing something if you want to keep??? Unless it is fairly new less than 6 month for say.

It would be like saying I'm going to the bathroom I'll flush the bowl but keep what is inside of it???:ROTF::rofl:

No offense

As long as you aint keeping souvenirs then I am all for conserving on water:rofl:

Brother Esau
03-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I like how you spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours to build a watercooled rig and now you want to half-ass it on changing your $25 coolant. No offense intended, but the irony is epic.

You could probably get away with the coffee filter if you really had to, you're doing a similar thing to what people sometimes do with a pentek filter inlined following a new rad. If you do run the filtration you're probably going to lose some of the UV dye they added into the coolant

You will only loose as much UV DYE as the Coffee Filter will absorb!

dealmaster
03-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Is it better to flush new radiators with vinegar and distilled or just distilled? I've got a new MCR320 on the way and I've heard conflicting advice. What's the consensus?

halo112358
03-08-2009, 01:55 PM
The old advice was to go pretty heavy on the vinegar and shake shake shake, the last few times I've flushed new rads I've just used two runs of 2/3rds full of boiling water (wear gloves) and shaken vigorously each time. That worked for me without any problems.

Brother- try the filter and see what happens, it can't be worse than having particulate in your loop. You might want to open up your CPU block and make sure it's not clogged too, current blocks have pretty fine pins internally.

Brother Esau
03-08-2009, 02:18 PM
The old advice was to go pretty heavy on the vinegar and shake shake shake, the last few times I've flushed new rads I've just used two runs of 2/3rds full of boiling water (wear gloves) and shaken vigorously each time. That worked for me without any problems.

Brother- try the filter and see what happens, it can't be worse than having particulate in your loop. You might want to open up your CPU block and make sure it's not clogged too, current blocks have pretty fine pins internally.

Thanks thats good advice I will take:)

As usual thank you gentlemen for being so wonderful and helpful ;)

John Planet
03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
LOL ......its Brand New Man:D Yea well Brain Fart Indeed but I am Human and new to this so yes....Me....n00b:p:

For what its worth I would prefer to be able to salvage it just for the fact that it is brand new and I don't like to waste if it can be avoided:up:

Yeah, I've been water cooling for almost 8-years and I still make mistakes, but I don't waste time making excuses, and I sure as hell don't sweat it. You're dead right, why waste when you may not have to. A coffee filter should work just fine.

Brother Esau
03-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Thank you John my thoughts Prozactly:D

Conumdrum
03-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Rad prep:: One of the most missed things. Boil sink water, let cool 5 min. Pour into rad filling it up, let sit 10 min. Drain 1/2 water or so, shake till your arms hurt, 3-4 min like a crazy man. Drain into a clear container. Do the rad dance again and again till the water from the rad is clear and no gunk once the water settles. Then do it two more times. NOW and only now is your rad 90% clean. No worries, the last 10% will come out in the next year or two when you redo your loop for maintenance. Oh and post a vid of ya dancin, be a fun thing to see. My wife asked me what the hell was I doing..........

Tsaroth
03-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Hey Esau. Is the Radiator new?

If it's new then it's probably the flux from the inside of the radiator.

You want to take the radiator and flush it with distilled water, avoid the vinegar. It used to be recommended but people are tending to avoid it now.

I flushed my MCR220 with hot tap water through tubing in and out so that it drained in my kitchen sink. (Tap water is not recommended at all but if you flush with distilled and rinse then there should be no problems)

I then flushed the rad with distilled and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and I have no problems what-so-ever with the flux or as someone mentioned plasticizer coming off the tubing.

Hope this is helpful at all.

Brother Esau
03-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Hey Esau. Is the Radiator new?

If it's new then it's probably the flux from the inside of the radiator.

You want to take the radiator and flush it with distilled water, avoid the vinegar. It used to be recommended but people are tending to avoid it now.

I flushed my MCR220 with hot tap water through tubing in and out so that it drained in my kitchen sink. (Tap water is not recommended at all but if you flush with distilled and rinse then there should be no problems)

I then flushed the rad with distilled and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and I have no problems what-so-ever with the flux or as someone mentioned plasticizer coming off the tubing.

Hope this is helpful at all.

Yes everything is "NEW" except for me I am getting Dated:ROTF:

SiGfever
03-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Or you could put this in your loop for a couple of days. It does a nice job on new systems also.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/peinwafi.html