PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a good LC setup?

Gurkis
03-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Okey, so I'm helping a friend out with his watercooling aswell as the building of a brand new computer :).

Thus far I've decided on (hardware wise): Rampage II exteme, i7 920, 4870x2, corsair 1000W, Corsair 6gb 1600mhz DDR3, 1x western digital velociraptor (for OS and games) and 2x 640gb WD black in raid 0 setup (these should be fast enough for whatever he wants to do and he can always expand with another tb of memory if he wants).

Now, the hardware I'm kind of pleased with and know what I'm doing, BUT, haha, here's the but. The watercooling makes me really confused. This is what I've come up with thus far:
case: MM UFO-CYU standard front and tripple standard back (this was his chioce as he's seen my case and likes the looks of it).
2x Swiftech MCR320, 3/8'' barbs
1x EK-FC4870X2 full cover block, 3/8'' barbs
Laing DDC 18w Pump / Swiftech MCP355 with XSPC DDC Top With RESERVOIR (is this good? this I'm kind of confused about)
1x Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme Performance CPU Waterblock with Swiftech Apogee GTZ Core i7 Hold down plate
20x 12-20mm Hoseclips (for holding the tubing)
2 feet Feser Tube 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD - UV Blue
2 feet Feser Tube 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD - UV Red
2 feet Feser Tube 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD - UV White (is this enough tubing lenght? Do I need more?)

Okey, so that's what I've come up with thus far. I'm planning of doing it rad1>CPU>rad2>GPU>pump/res>rad1 (is this a good loop order? anything that needs to be changed?).

Any help and input is greatly appreciated! :)

Cheers!

eponymous
03-08-2009, 05:47 AM
I'd go with two loops: one for your CPU and one for your GPUs.

Have a look at the threads I've started and you may get some mroe ideas. I am planning on watercooling a Core i7 920 as well. :)

aspms*
03-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Looks good except for CPU I would go with supreme LT (as it's cheaper and from skinnee's testing it performed slightly better than GTZ on i7) and why don't you go with 1/2" or better with 7/16" tubing? :shrug: or maybe I misunderstand because you mentioned 3/8" ID tubing and 3/8" barbs

Gurkis
03-08-2009, 06:03 AM
Okey thanks both of you for the info.
Would doing two different loops lower the temperatures drastically? I'm only going to overlock it to 4ghz, so I don't really need super cooling :P

Aspms: I'm a little confused, if I'd go with 1/2'' tubing, don't I use 1/2'' barbs? Also what is the biggest difference between the different sizes of tubing? say 1/2'' vs 7/16''? :)

Thanks again and sorry if these are stupid questions :)

aspms*
03-08-2009, 06:12 AM
I wouldn't expect big gain in temp drops if you split loops (I would say about 1-2C on CPU under load)!

1/2" and 7/16" wouldn't have noticeable difference in terms of performance! So if you use 1/2" barbs you can go with 1/2" or 7/16" tubing ;)

Gurkis
03-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Okey, thanks alot aspms! :). Think I'll go with 1/2'' barbs and 7/16'' tubing.

KaptCrunch: Okey, thanks alot. Good to know, anything ells? Any tips using that block?
As for what liquid I'll use I'm going with PrimoChill PURE Performance Coolant dyed black with Feser-View UV Dye Black. Is this good? or should I get something ells?

Cheers!

Gurkis
03-08-2009, 06:27 AM
Thing is, I'm not really liking the idea of using black tubing in an all black case :D. Would look kinda wierd. But still, doing it with just distilled water and PTnuke sounds like a plan as I can use colored tubing right?

Thanks for the quick responses and help!

Cheers!

eponymous
03-08-2009, 07:00 AM
Thing is, I'm not really liking the idea of using black tubing in an all black case :D. Would look kinda wierd. But still, doing it with just distilled water and PTnuke sounds like a plan as I can use colored tubing right?

Thanks for the quick responses and help!

Cheers!

Take a look at the Tygon R-3603 tubing. I'm planning on using it if I can get a hold of siome 7/16".

It's clear and is very good quality.

http://www.tygon.com/Data/Element/Node/ProductLine/product_line_edit.asp?ele_ch_id=L00000000000000014 95