PDA

View Full Version : Are all 1/2" OD barbs the same?

tommyxv
03-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Since I am not able to run all 1/2"ID 3/4"OD compression fittings on all my WBs because of spacing issues, I guess I am just going to run all 1/2" barbs all around (or go with 3/8"ID 5/8"OD tubing :( ) are there any big differences amoung 1/2" barbs?

aspire.comptech
03-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Danger Den/Bitspower Fatboys are godlike.

Hondacity
03-07-2009, 01:39 PM
i used barbs and compression fittings...

but now i use only barbs true silver and black shining

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/hondacity25/fettish.jpg

tommyxv
03-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Danger Den/Bitspower Fatboys are godlike.

How hard is it to get 1/2"ID 3/4"OD over those?

MpG
03-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Right now, the DD/Bitspower fatboys are about as good as it gets for 1/2" barbs. Not that most of the older ones aren't good too, but the BP barbs have the largest inside diameter, multiple edged barbs to grab the hose better, shallow threads so they don't interfere with the block's internals (GPU fullcover blocks especially), and a nicely recessed o-ring. The devil is in the details, really. And if you care, they look quite nice, although my own are always covered by tubing and hose clamps, so it's a moot point.

Maxw
03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Can you get the Fatboys in 3/8"?

rioja
03-07-2009, 02:27 PM
i have 1/4 and 3/8 barbs
from first i can not release a tube but can from 3/8

tommyxv
03-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I thought putting on clamp on a single barb with a smooth surface after it would make a better seal than multi edge barbs, no?

John Planet
03-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I thought putting on clamp on a single barb with a smooth surface after it would make a better seal than multi edge barbs, no?

Where'd you hear that? :D Of the few times I've had leaks all involved those old, snot-slick barbs.

tommyxv
03-07-2009, 03:22 PM
No where, thought it makes sense to have more surface area compressed with a clamp. :shrug: I'll take your word for it as this is my first WC build.

Sparky
03-07-2009, 04:10 PM
No where, thought it makes sense to have more surface area compressed with a clamp. :shrug: I'll take your word for it as this is my first WC build.

The edges "bite" into the tubing more, helping keep it in place and sealing it off better. In theory two perfectly smooth surfaces of the right size would seal just fine but the fact is neither is perfectly smooth so that's why it risks leaks.

A smooth shaft on the barb isn't a bad thing though necessarily, as long as it has a good lip on the end of it. Take Dtek barbs for example, they are smooth but have a fat lip on the end which that plus a clamp makes for a tight seal.

John Planet
03-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Ah, you were being logical. ;) The problems start when you apply pressurized liquid, which turns that ringless surface into a slide. Modern barbs with rings around the shaft of the barb not only bite into the tube to keep if from slipping, but they create little pockets of air that act as a barrier.

Jhors2
03-07-2009, 04:23 PM
You can get 3/8" ID Fatboys by the way, you can get them from jab-tech. I purchased my 1/2" ID Fatboys from there as well.

hotdun
03-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Nice pics Hondacity...gotta love the true silver's. Sidewinder has a great little spreadsheet with comparisons on alot of criteria: LINK (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sificoda.html)