PDA

View Full Version : Advice on what to get for watercooling i7 920

dreamaxx
03-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Hey guys,

So I have some noobie questions on watercooling... Basically I'd just be looking to watercool my CPU (i7 920) initially.

But I have only a very basic knowledge of watercooling so I need some advice on what parts to choose and where to buy.

I'm just looking for good performance and as quiet a system as possible (money isn't such a big deal but I don't wanna spend hugely for no reason).

I'm more or less decided on a 120.3 radiator, but what brand? I hear the Feser 120.3 is very good. Is that what people recommend?

Wrt to reservoirs, where is the best place to place it in the circuit? I was thinking:

Pump --> CPU block ---> Radiator --> Reservoir ---> Pump.

I want to get that cool cylindrical one dingdong used in his build - can anyone link me to it? I can't find it, apparently it is an EK250 with anti-cyclone.

What size tubing will I need? I am assuming the barbs sizing is then related to this. And it is all related to the size that can fit into the block... If I get a Swiftech GTZ, what barbs would I need? Is compression fittings best? Can someone link me to what is ideal? I saw some Feser compression fittings that looked pretty sweet.

For pump I have been recommended the Laing DDc3.2 with XSPC top... That sound good to everyone? Its the same as the Swiftech MCP355 right? So it doesn't really matter which I get coz the XSPC top will fit on it? What exactly does the XSPC top do anyways, I'm confused.

7/16" tubing sound good?

High flow barbs - how many would I need?
Metal clamps - Required?

Not sure what else I need. Or what sizes of tubing and barbs to get. Or anything much about watercooling really :)

I have a TJ07 and would like to mount the radiators internally (maybe up the top if a 120.2 setup is adequate or more likely down the bottom).

Please give me your advice pro watercoolers! Thanks :)

Zehnsucht
03-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Many of your questions are answered in the stickie, and the rest can be found by browsning a little bit.

Block i7 testing:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=219081

Topic regarding compression vs barbs:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=219701
More compression
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3540441#post3540441

Another thread about tubing size:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=219706

Don't rush it. Idle for a month or two, read and read and read... That's how I did it anyway.

shazza
03-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Your choices so far look good. Here are some thoughts ... and others will give their two cents as well:

I'd go with 7/16ID x 5/8"OD tubing and 1/2" barbs. Use metal clamps for now ... you can switch to zip ties or something else later if you'd like. How many barbs: 2 for pump top, 2 for reservoir, 2 for radiator, 2 for CPU water block. That makes 8 if my math is right.

Pump / Top : The MCP355 is the same as the DDC3.2 ... the XSPC top is a good choice

Reservoir: The EK 250 is in stock at Sidewinder, usually available from Petra's Tech and Performance PCs as well

Radiator: You have room for a 3x radiator in the bottom of your TJ07 - the Feser, XSPC or Swiftech are good choices (best bang for buck is Swiftech, but the others may have slightly better performance with low/medium CFM fans)

CPU Waterblock: The Apogee GTZ is a good performer, although perhaps not the top of the line (e.g. a few degrees less than the Koolance 350 - but it will perform fine). It is, however, very easy to mount, especially for your first time. I'd stick with barbs - use the 1/2" ones that come with it - and save compression fittings for a later update. The Koolance 350 is an excellent block, according to reviews here, but is more restrictive which means it may give you less flexibility should you decide to add your GPU to your loop later. The EK Supreme LT is also less expensive, but a good performer - again according to reviews (I've only used the GTZ on the i7 920 so far).

Fans - Scythe F-Flex are good choices, although a bit expensive (usually find them on the 'egg for less than other places). Yate Loon Medium fans are also good, and are less expensive.

Definitely do the CPU only first. Get some experience, then you can look at cooling your GPU, possibly by adding a 2x radiator.

Good Luck, and enjoy your project.

Hondacity
03-04-2009, 07:06 AM
two kinds of rads:

1. noisy fans and great dissipation - hwlabs 360gtx / 480gtx
2. quiet fans and lesser dissipation - tfc/tc/xspc

pumps:

only 355s pls...better flow and pressure...

655s have ok flow...only on paper...once you have radiators and waterblocks in the loop the 355 rules

eponymous
03-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Many of your questions are answered in the stickie, and the rest can be found by browsning a little bit.

Block i7 testing:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=219081

Topic regarding compression vs barbs:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=219701
More compression
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3540441#post3540441

Another thread about tubing size:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=219706

Don't rush it. Idle for a month or two, read and read and read... That's how I did it anyway.

:D A few of the threads there are ones I started, but I'm doing much the same as you in terms of CPU so my stuff may help too.

The guys on here really do know what they're talking about and should be able to help you.

As for the pump, I'm still not sure which to get myself. I'd settled on a 655 due to the 1.5L/H figure, but I may change that to a 355 with a top.

davidoff619
03-04-2009, 07:39 AM
I would recommend my setup which is the swifttech setup for custom pc. Which won hands down. Make these changes the res for the cylinder one can't think what it's called of the top of my head. And the fans to the twister 54cfm fans @ 12 db there realy good with no noise what so ever. Handles my two gtx 285s and i7 920 both with heavy overclocks

ballzD33P
03-04-2009, 12:02 PM
655s have ok flow...only on paper...once you have radiators and waterblocks in the loop the 355 rules

i know you have done several block tests, but i couldnt find anything by you searching the forums relating to this... do you have any side by side comparisons?

Hondacity
03-04-2009, 12:16 PM
i know you have done several block tests, but i couldnt find anything by you searching the forums relating to this... do you have any side by side comparisons?

skinnee and martin already tested this...

i have the pq curves of both 655 and 355 in one graph...i'll send you the graph when its 5pm Eastern...you'll see how bad the 655's are...

iro
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
two kinds of rads:

pumps:

what kind of quiet fans for the tfcs?

dreamaxx
03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I have another question regarding power supplies...

If I have the following will it ALL run safely off a Corsair 620W?

i7 920 (overclocked)
6gb 1600mhz ram
Asus P6T deluxe v2
GTX285
Creative X-fi extremegamer fatal1ty

Up to 8x 120mm LED fans and 2x 92mm LED fans.
2x 30cm UV CCFLs and 2x 20cm UV CCFLs

Swiftech MCP355 pump

ILikeCosmosS
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
i think that you gonna need like a 720 or 800 on the safe side i guess

pneubmatic
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I have another question regarding power supplies...

If I have the following will it ALL run safely off a Corsair 620W?

i7 920 (overclocked)
6gb 1600mhz ram
Asus P6T deluxe v2
GTX285
Creative X-fi extremegamer fatal1ty

Up to 8x 120mm LED fans and 2x 92mm LED fans.
2x 30cm UV CCFLs and 2x 20cm UV CCFLs

Swiftech MCP355 pump

A very cool Power Supply Calculator (http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp) I found here from the good folks at Xtreme Systems. It's not only good for determing power supply requirements, it can also be used as a rough gauge for how much heat you're dumping into your water cooling loop.

Do yourself a huge favor: make up a fresh pot of strong coffee, kick back in your most comfy chair, and set aside the entire day to reading Xtreme Forums. I can just about guarantee it will be the most educational day you've had in a long time.

Edit: In fact, I've learned so much from this place (and saved so much money in the process) that I think I'm gonna pry open my wallet and share some of what I saved with Xtreme Systems.

NaeKuh
03-04-2009, 06:37 PM
i think that you gonna need like a 720 or 800 on the safe side i guess

nah that corsair was tested to run 2 8800GTX in sli + quadcore.

His psu is okey.

dreamaxx
03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
nah that corsair was tested to run 2 8800GTX in sli + quadcore.

Her psu is okey.

corrected ;)

Alright, looks like I'll be keeping my 620w. :)

Lol I did that power supply calculator and it said i needed 1500W lol.

If I am going to upgrade it has to be soon :) Do people recommend the Corsair 1000W?

gabe
03-04-2009, 07:03 PM
CPU Waterblock: The Apogee GTZ is a good performer, although perhaps not the top of the line (e.g. a few degrees less than the Koolance 350 - but it will perform fine).

we published informal test results here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215039

There appears to be a fairly wide disconnect between our tests and those released by Hondacity.

For the record, "informal" tests performed at Swiftech do remain of the utmost accuracy, although limited in scope (only one flow rate tested)

dreamaxx
03-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi Gabe, that link isn't working :(

gabe
03-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi Gabe, that link isn't working :(

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215039

YukonTrooper
03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Hmmm... Perhaps we need further testing!

dreamaxx
03-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Can some other people please comment on the PSU situation? Do I need a 1000w or will the 620w suffice?

I wouldn't mind having the option to upgrade to a second watercooling loop and maybe also get a second graphics card in the future.

And I don't wanna have to sleeve another PSU, so I'd rather future proof now if the 620w isn't going to cut it.

DeanB
03-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I would recommend a bigger PSU if you have any plans on adding video cards, but you should be able to run what you have planned with your current PSU. :)

In regards to CPU blocks, I recommend reading as many reviews as you can find. Every block is produced with a certain application in mind. Once you get a sense of which blocks are used in which situations you will be able to pick the best block for your system. Also keep in mind the environments which they are being tested in, some environments may be more practical than others. Also, as with any research, consider the source and any interests that may be involved.

YukonTrooper
03-05-2009, 01:14 AM
You'll be fine with the 620HX. Its specifications are way underrated. A pump only saps a few volts anyways.

xguntherc
03-05-2009, 01:52 AM
if you want to EVER add another GPU to the loop, you'll need another PSU. I had the Corsair HX520 running my first 260, and I now have the PCP&C 750w Quad for my SLI. and it runs it great. but to be completely honest. I wish I would have got something like the Corsair 1000w just to cover myself, cuz I know in the next year I'll be updating again probably.

get the Corsair 1000W now if you can afford to do it, save you in the long run, that or get a PCP&C PSU. they are Great psu's

also, I had the PA120.2 and I sold it and got the Feser Xchanger 360.. the Triple fan Feser Radiator is a beast. Currently I'm running 3 Medium speed Yate Loon fans on my Feser 360, but if I had the cash. I would have got some of the 1600rpm S-Flex fans.

Good Luck

dreamaxx
03-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have heard good things about the Feser, Thermochill and XSPC rads, not sure which one would suit me best. I don't plan on using super loud fans, probably just mediums...

dreamaxx
03-05-2009, 05:48 AM
So I have another question now...

I read somewhere (and now I can't find where), someone talking about having their rad fans plugged into the motherboard, so that the motherboard controls the fans RPM dependent on the CPU temps (so that at idle, the fans are going nice and quiet, but when need be they ramp up to speed).

How does this work? Is it easy enough to set up? Any advice would be much appreciated. :up:

Thanks!:p:

Hondacity
03-05-2009, 06:13 AM
So I have another question now...

I read somewhere (and now I can't find where), someone talking about having their rad fans plugged into the motherboard, so that the motherboard controls the fans RPM dependent on the CPU temps (so that at idle, the fans are going nice and quiet, but when need be they ramp up to speed).

How does this work? Is it easy enough to set up? Any advice would be much appreciated. :up:

Thanks!:p:

it depends on your motherboard...for example asus rampage II extreme has a maximum of 84watts max...

some motherboards probably has lesser max ratings...

some have pwm support..to control fan speeds using pwm

dreamaxx
03-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Where can I find out what the Asus P6T deluxe v2 has?

dreamaxx
03-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Hey, I'm just wondering if it is possible to spraypaint the casing of radiators (i.e. paint it pink or something), and if so what do I have to do to prepare it, and what mustn't I get paint on? Thanks :)

NysoO
03-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Yeah of course you can. Steps on that have been posted before. Either way, it's pretty easy. You can start with either sand the orignal paint down, or use some kind of paint remover. If you decide to sand it down you should use like 240 - 320 grain wet sandpaper. When that's done you can finish of by sanding with 800grain. Then put some primer on it. 3 thin layers or so, wait 10 minutes between each layer (Read specifications on your particular primer). then you just spray your desired paint on that, 5 thin coats or so.

DdotRoq
03-06-2009, 05:36 AM
DO NOT use metal clamps. Use tightwraps or my personal favorite, Switftech's clamps.

FYI, Metal clamps caused major leakage on my system, primarily because they bend and create pockets where the liquid can flow.

pneubmatic
03-06-2009, 08:13 AM
corrected ;)

Alright, looks like I'll be keeping my 620w. :)

Lol I did that power supply calculator and it said i needed 1500W lol.

If I am going to upgrade it has to be soon :) Do people recommend the Corsair 1000W?

I just put your stuff into that calculator, and got 578 watts. You didn't list how many HD's you have, or Optical Driives, so I guessed and put in four hard drives and two optical drives, then the rest of the stuff you listed in a previous post. I made sure to include your CCT's, fans, WC pump... all of it.

dreamaxx
03-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Yeh well that is getting quite close to the max rating for a 620w even though the corsair PSU is meant to be very conservatively rated...

:S

Is the Corsair 1000w the best modular PSU at that sort of wattage?

I can't see any that are cheaper, so I'm assuming that one is the best value?

pneubmatic
03-06-2009, 08:52 AM
There's a lot of good power supplies out there. I can't speak on personal experience about the Corsair, but I have read good reviews about them. PC Power and Cooling (recently purchased by OCZ) also makes very good power supplies. I use Antec power supplies (currently a 850W Signature Series) and have never had a problem with them. I consistently choose Antec PS's, because they are very quiet at any given load. I'm not able to hear it at all. I also like the fact that my PS is semi-modular. Only the "you must use this on every computer" power cables are permanently attached to the PS. All of the other ones you simply plug into the PS as you need them. This really helps with cable clutter. Antec isn't the only PS to do this, but when you combine all the other features of their PS's, they are perfect for my needs.

I think you'd be best off if you decided what features are important to you, like noise, future power needs, size, longevity, etc., then do some research and find a power supply that fulfills your needs. Googling "PC power supply" and "computer power supply" will give you enough reading material to make an educated decision.

While I definitely take the opinions here on Xtreme Forums seriously, and they have a major impact on my buying decisions, this isn't (and shouldn't be) your sole source of information regarding such an important purchase. Before I bought my latest Antec PS, I spent about eight hours reading about PS's.

Hondacity
03-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Where can I find out what the Asus P6T deluxe v2 has?

download the manual from asustek.com

page 60

same max output : 84w

Conumdrum
03-06-2009, 08:56 AM
DO NOT use metal clamps. Use tightwraps or my personal favorite, Switftech's clamps.

FYI, Metal clamps caused major leakage on my system, primarily because they bend and create pockets where the liquid can flow.

What are swiftech clamps? They have their own brand?
You mean clamps like this or something else?
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/brmihocl7int1.html

I dunno. Tons of us here and other places use metal hose clamps to seal the hose onto the barb. It's more secure than herbies, or wireties. Only Compression fittings are as secure.

Sorry you had leaks, it happens. I use clamps. My setup has never leaked as I redid my loop a few times in the last year and a half.

brewer265
03-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I just put your stuff into that calculator, and got 578 watts. You didn't list how many HD's you have, or Optical Driives, so I guessed and put in four hard drives and two optical drives, then the rest of the stuff you listed in a previous post. I made sure to include your CCT's, fans, WC pump... all of it.

That calculator is so out to lunch. I ran an overclocked i920 with a 4870x2 , w/c ,6gb ram ,3 hdds ,5 120mm fans , x-fi with the 620hx np. Right now i only am using an oc 280gtx , at full load im only using 400 watts. To much misinformation about psus in this thread.

dreamaxx
03-06-2009, 09:58 AM
That calculator is so out to lunch. I ran an overclocked i920 with a 4870x2 , w/c ,6gb ram ,3 hdds ,5 120mm fans , x-fi with the 620hx np. Right now i only am using an oc 280gtx , at full load im only using 400 watts. To much misinformation about psus in this thread.

Hmm you've still got a 1000w PSU though :)

I've been doing some reading but I still don't know enough :)

dreamaxx
03-06-2009, 10:02 AM
download the manual from asustek.com

page 60

same max output : 84w

So basically I solder all three fans together, and then I could plug it directly into the motherboard? Sorry for asking such noob questions, but would I need specific fans for it to then control the fan speed? I seem to recall for the motherboard to control fan speed you need 4 pin plugs for the fans...

I have the Zalman MFC1 plus fan controller, and it has a little connector for CPU fan to connect to the motherboard... But I think it is 7watts per chan. So I don't think I'd be able to plug all three fans into the Zalman fan controller...

dreamaxx
03-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah of course you can. Steps on that have been posted before. Either way, it's pretty easy. You can start with either sand the orignal paint down, or use some kind of paint remover. If you decide to sand it down you should use like 240 - 320 grain wet sandpaper. When that's done you can finish of by sanding with 800grain. Then put some primer on it. 3 thin layers or so, wait 10 minutes between each layer (Read specifications on your particular primer). then you just spray your desired paint on that, 5 thin coats or so.

Hello, thanks for your reply regarding this.

What do I have to tape off so as not to paint though? I'm assuming it is best not to get paint on the pipes etc.?

dreamaxx
03-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Woohoo went and did some reading and I'm confident I can paint my rad now.

I HAVE A BIG QUESTION THOUGH.

On a 240 rad, what is the distance between the fan holes in the centre? I have been told 12mm with most brands, but 15mm for the thermochill? Is that right?

NaeKuh
03-08-2009, 08:10 AM
two kinds of rads:

pumps:

wheres the MCR320?!?!?

Metasheep
03-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Woohoo went and did some reading and I'm confident I can paint my rad now.

I HAVE A BIG QUESTION THOUGH.

On a 240 rad, what is the distance between the fan holes in the centre? I have been told 12mm with most brands, but 15mm for the thermochill? Is that right?

Most rads now are 15mm between the fan holes. Thermochill rads are 24mm between the fan holes. The first run of Feser rads were 17mm, but hopefully they've all been already sold.

ILikeCosmosS
03-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeh well that is getting quite close to the max rating for a 620w even though the corsair PSU is meant to be very conservatively rated...

:S

Is the Corsair 1000w the best modular PSU at that sort of wattage?

I can't see any that are cheaper, so I'm assuming that one is the best value?

WRONG! The best modular case is enermax revolution 85+ 1050 watt

for the best value and great performance it is the best for that but the enermax is a step up from that

Hondacity
03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
wheres the MCR320?!?!?

:ROTF:

i'm not a fan of it...sure its cheap..and it performs ok...and i have one...for silence it doesn't work that well..i have some quiet fans..and it just too restrictive(airflow wise)...for my high speed fans i'd rather get the gtx360...which i already sent to skinnee for testing...

Adamantine
03-08-2009, 01:18 PM
WRONG! The best modular case is enermax revolution 85+ 1050 watt

for the best value and great performance it is the best for that but the enermax is a step up from that
I'd have to dispute that the revolution is the best PSU.

Performance wise, the Antec Signature does better than the revolution.
~30mv of ripple on all rails for the revolution
25mv of ripple on the 3.3v/5v rails and 13mv on the 12v rail for the Signature.
The signature also has better than 1% voltage regulation on all rails while the revolution has up to 5% voltage regulation (as tested, not on paper).

Even though the Enermax has 200w more headroom, that's only going to be the case while the signature maxes out at 850. On the flipside it also does mean the Antec is currently about $60 cheaper. The only thing the antec is lacking is enough connectors to run triple sli without adaptors. Why they haven't released a higher wattage signature, I have no idea.

Sources.
Antec Signature
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=101

Enermax Revolution
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=138