PDA

View Full Version : P4t533

JCviggen
08-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Okidoki, I got one in today.

I've been following the huge thread at HardOCP about this board, and I wasnt expecting it to be an easy ride.
I dont need rock stable high clocks, if they get me through 3Dmark at good clocks and its stable at more "normal" clocks for everyday operation then thats fine. But this board really does have issues. Issues with a capital I

The only spot of good news is that it will boot into Windows at 160x4 on the memory. 3Dmark runs a bit before i'm welcomed by a blue screen. But the memory isnt my main concern at the moment. This board acts very weird. i've only tested it for one hour or so, but here's already some first thoughts.

The "auto" setting for Vcore tells me its at 1.50V, and it measures 1.58 in windows. If I put it on user define and select 1.50V, it will give me around 1.68 measured in windows. However, I took some screenshots of the voltage under load.

Screenshot 1 shows the voltage at the user define setting, 1.50V, idle in windows at 150x16. All is normal, voltages look OK. Everything is within limits of what I call "stable" voltage. Every board has small voltage swings, the ones I see on the ASUS are normal, the 12V rail is the same as it was on my TH7-II as well.

http://users.pandora.be/JCviggen/Vcore1.JPG

you can follow the graph at the bottom a bit.

Then, I stressed the CPU by turning on prime95. The Voltage dropped to 1.62, a normal drop by stressing the CPU.

http://users.pandora.be/JCviggen/Vcore2.JPG

As you can see, the CPU load goes to 100% (blue line) and the temp rises slowly.

third pic, the voltage takes a sudden dive (and I mean sudden) to 1.52-1.55V and it stays there. It takes a while for the voltage to suddenly jump up again to above 1.60. the scale is kind of tiny but you can watch how the voltage goes down, and then up again a bit later. But it stayed low for a while after the CPU load had gone to practically 0. I would have expected it to come back as soon as prime stopped.
At exactly the point the voltage dropped, prime errored out. But here's the thing, my 1.60A runs about 2500-2550 MHz at 1.50V, so a drop to 1.52V shouldnt crash it at only 2400 MHz.

http://users.pandora.be/JCviggen/Vcore3.JPG

Here's another thing to think about : follow the CPU temperature line. At the exact point that it touches 50°C, it crashes. I have repeated the test several times at all kinds of speeds (seriously low ones also) and for some reason, when the CPU temp touches 50C, it errors out on prime95. Its so exactly spot-on the 50C mark at different settings that it cant be a coincidence.

I then decided to put the thing in my prometeia. Looked pretty good, BIOS reported CPU temp of -10°C. Booted into windows and ... CPU Cool is no longer reporting the CPU temp sensor. its gone. MBM reckoned my CPU was 116°C, but since the back of my mobo was gathering some ice, I am prepared to challenge that reading. If I stressed the CPU a bit though, I was welcomed by a freeze or blue screen. Even at speed that should work perfectly. In fact things are a lot more "workable" with just the air cooling now, but i'll try again tomorrow with the phase change.

I have now knocked it to 133x16 and auto Vcore, and i'll see what happens.

From the "feel" of things, this board is a worse CPU overclocker than my TH7-II was, and most ppl know that a TH7-II pretty much sucks. An ASUS P4T-E or any abit DDR board will give you about 100 MHz more at less voltage. But this has yet to be confirmed.

Right now I cant recommend this board. I wanted to check out the problems for myself, and they are pretty big. I dont know if its both the board and memory that need work, but I am sure about the board Ã:banana:nd its BIOS. Not a good job by ASUS

JC

PS : no clue why the images show up as links, but we'll have to live with it

Jupiler
08-05-2002, 12:30 PM
another horror story. Seems that ASUS has a lot of work to do with this board. I wonder how many revisions they have to release before it will be 100%
Sorry to hear about that JC.
Damn', it's making me doubt if I'm gonna get it or not.

Charles Wirth
08-05-2002, 04:10 PM
A coworker here became the victim of the P4T533 too, I believe it to be a bad voltage regulator as you are already figuring out.

With a known above standard PSU, the rails were all over the place.

The above boards is in process of RMA, I will let you know how round 2 goes.

The 1.8A at stock pulls upwards of 1.6v (even broke 1.6v) and will BSOD in WinXP with full page of text and reboot itself. I believe a memory dump is happening as I witnessed this a few times.

JCviggen
08-06-2002, 05:50 AM
I've just sent an email to the store that I want to return this board. Its a pathetic, unfinished piece of PCB that doesnt deserve my attention... it will pass 3Dmark at 157x4, but its not stable at any speed from 133 on up at 4x memory. At 3x memory, it will do 170 but 175 and above will not work. This is rediculous even compared to the old TH7-II which overclocks like a dog....

bye ASUS, last time you'll trick me into buying a promising board

calantak
08-06-2002, 09:30 AM
luckily I laid off the board... my gurlfriend told me to stop hardware buying for at least a month... she was right...
:)

JCviggen
08-06-2002, 10:53 AM
Women are always right m8 even when they're talking total bollox. Thinking like this saves you some fights with the ball and chain (altho my chain is pretty long, from here to russia)

back on topic, I have to say its about 95% stable at stock speeds. Needless to say its a worthless board for serious benching then

majormav
08-06-2002, 01:00 PM
sorry to hear that also JC however after getting fingers burned by asus twice ...the boards that they make will never get into another pc of mine regardless of how good they are supposed to be

Charles Wirth
08-12-2002, 08:37 PM
I took the RMA with a straight up trade for a TH7-IIR, and so far I have had no trouble other than my IBM Deathstar living up to its reputation.

Oh yea the other problem, if I disable my com or LPT ports my system will not boot. I noticed this first with XP install not starting from CD.

Asus does not provide a Promise raid floppy, this is also a pian.

Im still running the 1002 bios, is there a better bios?

Lastly, trying to pull off a 170x4 run =)

Charles Wirth
08-13-2002, 07:54 AM
Something is very wrong, my "default" vcore rides around 1.56v and jumps around irraticly not a steady 1.39v like the IT7.

Charles Wirth
08-18-2002, 06:01 PM
Ok, Im not sure about you guys but im abou to give up on this P4T533.

I have tried 1002,1003,1004A Bios and I cannot get stability much over 160FSB without BSOD after a few mins of booting.

Im backed off to 150FSB x4 atm

Vcore seems to be whacked, I can run default vcore up to 156FSB and complete 3DM and if i break 1.6v (approaching 170FSB) certian BSOD will happen.

I have reseated the CPU, put in new 550w PSU, swapped CPU, swapped ram.

Pretty much the same thing JC experianced.

Next week I will get a 8x APG board and the P4T533 will be kicked to the curb.

Maybe another RMA will help... Maybe not.

176x4 was the max I was able to boot into windows, but this board will BSOD around 160+ no matter if 3x or 4x was set.