PDA

View Full Version : 4870 x2 water block questions

Floppydizz
03-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi, new to the forums, and new to water cooling video cards. I have been watching video's on utube where people are installing video card water blocks and I notice all of them so far are using thermal pads to make contact with everything on the card except for the GPU's where they just use thermal paste is this correct? I thought you could use a non conductive thermal paste on all parts including the GPU. I am going to go with the Nickel Plated EK-FC4870X2 Full Cover Waterblock. Secondly when selecting the barb's for this water block do i go with 3/8's like everything else in my system including the tubing or should i go larger? Thanks.

CedricFP
03-03-2009, 12:16 AM
The thermal pads have a specific thickness - one perhaps too thick for conventional TIM application.

Also, for those who don't use non-conductive TIM's, the pads are safer on the memory chips.

But as far as it all goes, I think the pads are simply there for convenience sake.

iceredwing
03-03-2009, 12:23 AM
well on the XSPC waterblock, i was able to use TIM fine. You just need to test how much you need to apply to get good contact

Conumdrum
03-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Yes, dry mounting (no TIM or tape) the block and checking tolerances is a good idea. A decent set of feeler guages would be nice for the uber careful ones.

But really, as long as the block has proper standoffs built into the card and the card itself is a quality manufacturer, it's not a real issue. Mounting with TIM and TIM tape (if said by the maker and pulling it off to double check is never a bad idea.

iceredwing
03-03-2009, 12:42 AM
if the TIM is non-conductive why is it dangerous to apply it on the RAM chip?

CedricFP
03-03-2009, 01:58 AM
if the TIM is non-conductive why is it dangerous to apply it on the RAM chip?

Also, for those who don't use non-conductive TIM's, the pads are safer on the memory chips.

:up:.

Razrback16
03-03-2009, 03:38 AM
Hi, new to the forums, and new to water cooling video cards. I have been watching video's on utube where people are installing video card water blocks and I notice all of them so far are using thermal pads to make contact with everything on the card except for the GPU's where they just use thermal paste is this correct? I thought you could use a non conductive thermal paste on all parts including the GPU. I am going to go with the Nickel Plated EK-FC4870X2 Full Cover Waterblock. Secondly when selecting the barb's for this water block do i go with 3/8's like everything else in my system including the tubing or should i go larger? Thanks.

Others in this thread have already covered some of the pad/paste questions regarding the mem chips -- I've installed a few full cover blocks in my time, and I've found using a block with provided pads (or a block that is designed to re-use stock pads) are the easiest to install, literally just line everything up and you're good to go.

For tube size, I would use barbs that allow you to use the same tubing in the rest of your setup, unless you're building an entirely separate loop with a different pump, etc., then it might be worth going to 1/2''.

Floppydizz
03-03-2009, 08:25 AM
thanks guys for the replies. So i will try setting the EK full cover block directly on my card GPU, memory and voltage with just Arctic Silver Ceramique and check contacts.

BlueAqua
03-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Just follow the instructions that come with the block. Apply thermal pads to where it indicates and Ceramique to everything else, that's what I did and it's working like a champ.

Chruschef
03-03-2009, 09:16 AM
i was under the impression they use thermal tape to ensure proper contact, because the ram modules would never be perfectly flat, and can't withstand the mounting pressures an ihs can.

i've always used thermal tape on everything BUT the GPU processor, i attached the thermal tape to my waterblock and then installed it onto the GPU... been working great on both of my GPU's. see my signature for the parts i'm using.

mindspat
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
The Thermal pad have the advantage of preventing contact with certain componets which might create the posibiilty of shorting out your card; A thorough search of the topic should yeild some results to support this. A potential downside is a claim that certain cards will not make proper contact if thermal pads are used on the ram chips and using TIM improves the effectiveness if this is present.

Check the clearance and contact of the componets prior to fixing a waterblock/hsfu to ensure proper performance.

Floppydizz
03-03-2009, 06:24 PM
IMHO would use 2 part WB on 4870x2, mem heatsink/gpu's for that its not solid block the an irregulares of heights of gpu's and memorys can be adjusted proper

like dry fit all before putting into service checking clearance with brite light and thin paper as shim/feeler

@ Chruschef if using wrong thickness it will break traces if cranked down to much, this why 1 piece FC WB aren't 100% fit up

:shocked:
I can't agree with you on this suggestion to use a 2 part block on the card I specified. The 4870 x2 gets very hot! All of its components get very hot. Not having water.... let alone air running over the other components on the card asides from the GPU's will cause issues. :shrug:

My readings of other posts on this forum and others like rage3d say exactly what I'm saying and I must agree as I know just how freaking hot this card gets.

I understand what others are saying about the stand offs being different and that having to check coverage is a must. The card is a reference design, components and parts must different from company to company that make the 4870x2 as well as differences in each and every water block made. This has to be assumed, this will ensure that you check your setup for getting the best possible results out of your cooling solution.

gabe
03-03-2009, 07:35 PM
The reason why thermal pads are used for surface mount components is as follows.

1/ Thermal joint is critical at the GPU level, since GPU produces the highest heat load; it must therefore receive absolute priority, and the best possible TIM.

2/ Manufacturing tolerances of both the graphics cards and the cooling solutions are such that multiple components can never perfectly mate, it is mechanically impossible (try to imagine a chair with 10 legs for example)

In order to prevent inadequate contact between the GPU and the cooling solution which would be catastrophic, tolerance gaps are deliberately added to all non-GPU mating surfaces. This explains why thermal compound (grease) which offers the highest thermal conductivity is used for the GPU, and compressible pads are used as gap fillers for the surface mount components.

By the way, thermal load for the surface mount components is much lower than that of the GPU, so the relatively poor TIM joint remains amply sufficient to allow for adequate heat dissipation.

Hens
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
what are the pad heights for the ek 4870x2 pads?

I was looking at buying one 2nd hand so I will need to purchase new pads or apply some thermal grease.

Broken
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
can look at this way 2 wb's plus unisink vs FC WB

as orginale heat sink is a 2 part system look @ pic in #11 post is done for best posible closeness and pressure to gpu/ram

FC your at the mercy of component supplier an gobs of tim with weak pressures for not to break PCB

You are right, my single card solutions sucks....
:rolleyes: