PDA

View Full Version : Worth W.C.-ing NB & SB?

iceredwing
03-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I noticed that motherboards have been running much cooler these days in comparison to before.

Does watercooling the NB & SB really help with overclocking these days?

Also does overclocking even increase the heat on the SB?

Just curious because I finally have the money (and set up) that permits me
to watercool the NB and SB (using a Gigabyte X48-DS4). But i don't want to spend money for it if I don't really see any gains

Grinch
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I noticed that motherboards have been running much cooler these days in comparison to before.

Does watercooling the NB & SB really help with overclocking these days?

Also does overclocking even increase the heat on the SB?

Just curious because I finally have the money (and set up) that permits me
to watercool the NB and SB (using a Gigabyte X48-DS4). But i don't want to spend money for it if I don't really see any gains

if you go that route just wc the nb and mosfet area....the sb doesnt produce enough heat to merit watercooling...:up:

WhiteFireDragon
03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
no, WC'ing the NB and SB will not give higher OCs. you hardly get an OC for the CPU when WC'ed, and a WC'ed mobo will give even a smaller OC difference. if you're temperature limited on the mobo sinks, then WC'ing it might increase your max fsb by a few but this is hardly the case. you'll run into hardware limitation before NB temp limitation

iceredwing
03-01-2009, 02:02 PM
I was thinking about W.C.ing the mosfet. I recalled reading that the common reason why motherboards die (when people overclock) it is because those burn themselves out.

That true? Anyone have recommendation for a mosfet block for a gigabyte x48-ds4?

SiGfever
03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
I prefer to watercool the NB and the Mosfets.

ILikeCosmosS
03-01-2009, 02:59 PM
a swiftech mcw30 or the koolance nb blocks do fine

and for sb just get one of those low profile coolers that enzotech makes

the mosfets , well i dont know?

whe3ls
03-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I was thinking about W.C.ing the mosfet. I recalled reading that the common reason why motherboards die (when people overclock) it is because those burn themselves out.

That true? Anyone have recommendation for a mosfet block for a gigabyte x48-ds4?

hey with if water cool the mosfets can i barrow your nb/mosfet heatsink so i can rma i ds4?

i think the only company that make on is ek.

whe3ls
03-01-2009, 03:02 PM
a swiftech mcw30 or the koolance nb blocks do fine

and for sb just get one of those low profile coolers that enzotech makes

the mosfets , well i dont know?

mcw30 does work will with the ds4 the barbs end up parallel with the i/o shield

Jor3lBR
03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
If you are really going for the limits and you have high temps during summer WC'ing NB and Mosfets will make a BIG diference if you want to PRIME95 blend your system to stability. A cool NB and Mosfet can be the diference between a Prime95 10hrs pass and a frozen screen!

Jhors2
03-01-2009, 03:13 PM
A lot of people have been doing watercooling of the new boards that have a digital PWM because those get HOT HOT HOT!!

whe3ls
03-01-2009, 03:18 PM
they get really hot with quads. my last two dfi board digital PWN ran cool, but i have a dual core. but my abit board with digital PWN ran so hot even under stock clocks. it hit about 150c and crashed even with a fan over it.

iceredwing
03-01-2009, 03:50 PM
yeah i don't mind loaning you the cooler if i do W.C. my board. I am leaning that direction because during summer when the temps are over 100F in los angeles the system does have to be slowed down so it can be stable under heavy load

whe3ls
03-01-2009, 04:23 PM
i have heard is gets warm in LA. i have the mosfet heatsink and a hr 05 if you would want to barrow them while i barrow the stock heatsink.

rehpyc
03-01-2009, 07:49 PM
LA and SoCAL area easily get into 90-100+ degree weather during the summer. It makes me cry :[

I WC the NB on my EVGA 680i not only for overclocking purposes, but to get rid of the atrociously loud NB cooler the board comes with as well.