PDA

View Full Version : Which Rad.?

Taylor01
02-28-2009, 10:11 PM
I am going to squeze a 360 rad in a Lian- li case. I want go with the feser I read somewhere that feser rads don't require a high cfm fan as where the gtx extremes do. My question is what is the best rad. with low flow fans? I need this to be very quiet. I also need to cool a i7 920 @4.0 if I can get it there and a gtx 285 maybe a 295 have not made up my mind yet. Also which direction should the fans blow sucking cool air into the case or hot air out? like this (sorry for the bad drawing!)

faster3200
02-28-2009, 10:30 PM
I would go with Feser or the new XSPC rad. They are both good for low pressure/quiet fans.
You want the air come from outside of the case so that you have the maximum heat dissipation. The air inside the case will be warmer and will hurt temps versus intake from outside of the case.

Taylor01
02-28-2009, 10:38 PM
I would go with Feser or the new XSPC rad. They are both good for low pressure/quiet fans.
You want the air come from outside of the case so that you have the maximum heat dissipation. The air inside the case will be warmer and will hurt temps versus intake from outside of the case.

Yes thats what I'm thinking I'm just worried the internel temp. of the case will rise and create problems. Those are only 80mm fans on the back.

Nickel020
03-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Go with a Feser or a an XSPC RX360. Swiftech is also good for slow fans but it's a little worse than those two (but cheaper too).

Don't worry about the hot air being blown inwards, the heat comming in there is exactly the same as if you were to cool the same system by air cooling, the only difference is that the VGA card isn't blowing some of its hot air outwards.

If you decide to go witha GTX 295 you may not get the best of water temperatures there, but it should'nt be more than 3C higher than with a GTX285 I guess.

WaterFlex
03-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Termochill is the legend ;)

Borys
03-01-2009, 03:25 AM
It's dosent matter what you will buy Termochill/Feser/XSPC. All this rad's are very good :]

faster3200
03-01-2009, 08:31 AM
It's dosent matter what you will buy Termochill/Feser/XSPC. All this rad's are very good :]

True, but Thermochill uses the weird fan spacing so if he goes with that he will pretty much be stuck with only that rad. The others use a standard spacing so he can change rads down the road.

Besides, the performance between the Thermochill and the XSPC are nearly identical and the XSPC rad is cheaper.

Taylor01
03-01-2009, 08:49 AM
True, but Thermochill uses the weird fan spacing so if he goes with that he will pretty much be stuck with only that rad. The others use a standard spacing so he can change rads down the road.

Besides, the performance between the Thermochill and the XSPC are nearly identical and the XSPC rad is cheaper.

So does the feser out perform the xspc or are they similar?

ballzD33P
03-01-2009, 08:55 AM

are you referring to the xspc rs360?

if so, i dont feel that they are nearly identical, especially with 1000rpm loons.

martin has them at well over a 3C difference at a 400W heat load.

however, I definitely agree with the horrible fan spacing issues.

may i suggest an mcr-320? theyre cheap and very efficient. Also, they have the new stackable ones, so if later down the road you want moar, its an easy upgrade

Taylor01
03-01-2009, 10:35 AM
How are the Black IceŽ GTX Gen Two Xtreme 360 with low flow yates? They are slightly shorter (397mm) than the feser (411). I know its only 14mm difference but the case I want has a overall length of 443mm so minus the pci slot plate and thickness of the front panel it's going to be real close.

gabe
03-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I am going to squeze a 360 rad in a Lian- li case. I want go with the feser I read somewhere that feser rads don't require a high cfm fan as where the gtx extremes do. My question is what is the best rad. with low flow fans? I need this to be very quiet. I also need to cool a i7 920 @4.0 if I can get it there and a gtx 285 maybe a 295 have not made up my mind yet. Also which direction should the fans blow sucking cool air into the case or hot air out? like this (sorry for the bad drawing!)

for factual triple radiator assessments go to: http://www.skinneelabs.com/

CmB
03-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Damn, that is a seriously favourable price per performance ratio. i think my vote has to go to Swiftech on the bang for the buck. As someone mentioned you can stack em later if you more cooling. Disclaimer I don't work for gabe, lol...just impressed.

--Chris

Taylor01
03-01-2009, 02:24 PM

I'm sorry I really don't know what all these charts and graphs mean. I just want the best perfromance period. Price really isn't a factor here since all rad. all affordable.

Sly Fox
03-01-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm sorry I really don't know what all these charts and graphs mean. I just want the best perfromance period. Price really isn't a factor here since all rad. all affordable.

I'd say if price is no concern go Feser. Standard fan spacing with PA level performance.

HWlabs makes some high performance rads too, but you'll need much stronger fans and this will in turn be loud.

I like the Swiftech rads because you can buy two of them for less than the cost of 1 feser/PA unit.

All those major rads (XSPC, PA, Feser, Swiftech) are great though, so you can't truly go wrong.

Brodholm
03-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I have thermochill's rads but if I bought the stuff now ill probably get the xspc. Because of the spacing and stuff.

Hope this helps: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218807&highlight=XSPC+rad

Taylor01
03-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Damn, that is a seriously favourable price per performance ratio. i think my vote has to go to Swiftech on the bang for the buck. As someone mentioned you can stack em later if you more cooling. Disclaimer I don't work for gabe, lol...just impressed.

--Chris

Yeah I can't seemed to find those swiftech stckable rad. anywhere but two MCR320 stacked would give me a thickness of 68mm as were a single feser is 62mm. Yeah I know 6mm but I a'm really tight on space here! I was accually now thinking about the performance from stacked Black Ice GT Stealth 360 would actually give me 59mm and length is 13mm shorter. Just curious if they would cool well enough?

Taylor01
03-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Would the stacked rads. hurt flow I'm goiing with a ddc and bitspower res. top?

StAndrew
03-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I use the GT Stealth. They use about the same fin structure/thickness as the GTX Extreme and, though they are thin, require high flow fans for performance (with low speed fans, the MCR series works much better and is much cheaper). They are also dust collectors (I can tell they need cleaning when my CPU temps raise about 2-4C which happens about once every 2-4 weeks). Truthfully, I only use them due to space restriction in my case. I wouldnt ever get these unless needed for space.

ILikeCosmosS
03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
the xspc rx 360 performs better on like 400pm by a few tenth degree then the thermochill rad
the better performance you get compared to the thermochill rad(meaning lower temperatures at lower fan speeds)
i am not sure but if you compare the feser and thermochill 360 against each other and they perform close to another then you can say the the xspc, thermochill, feser 360 rads are giving= amount of performance against each other

if it is matter of space clearance get a swiftech rad with higher speed fans

Taylor01
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
New question should I have the Yates push or pull?

Brother Esau
03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Yate Pull;) Also if you are hoping to do this like fairly soon good luck on finding any of those two radiators none will be available for about 4 weeks thats ETA from Petra when talking to FESER North America

Taylor01
03-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Actully this project is for mid april. I'm waiting on a severence check from my old job, so hope they will be in then.

Serpentarius
03-10-2009, 08:05 PM
mcr320 .. it's thin, cheap .. should fit the casing and the budget

if you can afford to have thicker rad with larger budget .. might as well get 2nd mcr320 and stack it .. somehow it's always in my mind .. if the smaller rival the larger less than 60% .. 2 smaller definely can overcome the larger .. let alone 80% .. well atleast that's what dual channel ram is .. :lol2:

i recall BIS requires a huge rpm fan to move the heat due to very fine fins .... BIS is better in terms of thickness and performance .. trouble is .. you'll might have to use delta fans to optimize the cooling (which most of us frown on its melody) and a bigger pocket

Taylor01
03-11-2009, 03:45 AM
mcr320 .. it's thin, cheap .. should fit the casing and the budget

if you can afford to have thicker rad with larger budget .. might as well get 2nd mcr320 and stack it .. somehow it's always in my mind .. if the smaller rival the larger less than 60% .. 2 smaller definely can overcome the larger .. let alone 80% .. well atleast that's what dual channel ram is .. :lol2:

i recall BIS requires a huge rpm fan to move the heat due to very fine fins .... BIS is better in terms of thickness and performance .. trouble is .. you'll might have to use delta fans to optimize the cooling (which most of us frown on its melody) and a bigger pocket

I would think the matter of tube routing with the rad. stack would take up more space. It would make them much longer by fliping them end for end so the barbs are excessable. Either taht or I would have to use a bunch of 90 elbows and slow flow.

nebuchanezzar
03-11-2009, 07:05 AM
This thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=218599) goes over the Swiftech stackable design. It looks pretty interesting to me anyways and does not require 90 degree fittings as the stackable ones have g 1/4(I think) threads on both sides to basically run the 2 rads in parallel.

Taylor01
03-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah I looked into it and two swiftech stackables cost $135 combined and the feser is $135.00 so it's not any cheaper. Plus staked will make 10mm thicker and I'm pushing the space as it is already.

pneubmatic
03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
This thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=218599) goes over the Swiftech stackable design. It looks pretty interesting to me anyways and does not require 90 degree fittings as the stackable ones have g 1/4(I think) threads on both sides to basically run the 2 rads in parallel.

That is completely correct. I kinda wonder if I'm losing cooling ability by running them as intended (stacked and parallel) over running them in series, but it's just so convenient having them stacked, I think I'll just leave them that way.