PDA

View Full Version : asaus a7a motherboard bois flash help

MIGRAINE
08-05-2002, 08:32 AM
i had recently updated my bios to rev 1011 so i would be able to unlock my multiplier in the bios.but asus tech support just e-mailed me and said that only rev 1010 can unlock the multiplier on this board. so i dl the rev 1010. but when i go to install it says the vers i am trying to install is older then the vers thats on there already. and if i want to use the older one i have to flash my bios in dos. with the asus dos utility.

any way i have no idea on how to flash the bios. can anyone out there help me out with this.i would need step by step instructions. i am using win xp on an asus a7a 266 motherboard 1ghz amd athlon cpu 40 gb wd h.d. 512 mb ddr crucial ram .

thanks for helping out:(

IFMU
08-06-2002, 10:16 PM
How did you update your bios otherwise? The only way I know how to is in dos.

Well if its there what you need to do is make a bootable floppy drive. Then put the flash utility on it. Along with the new bios version.

When you start your computer boot from the floopy drive.
Then when at the dos prompt, you will need to start your flash utility. (Make sure you write the names down before.)
Then once it starts it should ask for the file to write from then you put in the name of the updated bios file you have from the floppy drive.
Here it should ask you if you want to make a backup of the one you have now, tell it yes so you can restore it if the bios doesnt take right. Save it to a name you'll remember or write it down or something.
Then let it update it. Once its done, MAKE SURE IT HAS FINISHED!!!
Once it has finished, restart the machine. By my understanding you do NOT want to turn the computer off, just reboot it. Reset switch or ctrl-alt-del.
Then when its rebooting go into your bios and set all the defualts. There will be 1 or 2 deals to do here. Ive seen them with 1 and 2. Just if it says something like set defualt settings or whatever do it.
Reboot again. And all the new bios updates should be installed.
Then you can go into your bios and do all the stuff you would/are wanting to do.

Just keep in mind, be 100% sure your using the correct bios update, some bios chips wont let you update with wrong bios updates, but some wil and it can fubar your bios chip.

Hope this helps. (If this is what you were needing. heh)
IFMU

Smizack
08-06-2002, 10:19 PM
I thought you could only do it in dos also. But you can flash a video card in windows.

IFMU's plan sounds good to me though.

IFMU
08-11-2002, 10:31 AM
Any kind of luck with this? Hows it goin?

MIGRAINE
08-15-2002, 05:22 AM
i have left the bios at 1011 ,and i have been able to do some overclocking in the bios with the fsb i am running stable at 1100 so far with no problems the fsb is at 103 . it used to be at 266 with the 1.o4bios. so i guess this will work for now.

thanks for all your help..