PDA

View Full Version : Killzone 2

Chris_redfield
02-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Anybody else get this?

I just finished it a few hours ago and have been surprised by the amount of 9/10's its getting awarded from some gaming websites.

I was really dissapointed with the first one and felt that the technical limitations of the PS2 was one of the reasons why the original didn't meet its potential.

However now I'm not so sure that was the case as Guerilla seems to have rectified some of their previous mistakes but gone ahead and ruined the few things that were perfect about the original. For starters you can only carry one primary weapon. Which is hella annoying. I mean, OK you get to carry a pistol as well but the default ISA pistol is so useless you might as well be armed with a catapult.

The second annoyance was that they got rid of the secondary fire. This makes the guns really really boring and means the helghast assualt rifle loses its useful shotgun secondary firing mode.

While I'm :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:ing about the weapons I may as well continue, they are so damned inacurate its ridiculous. The helghast lmg for instance is the firearm equivelant of a sprinkler. Bullets go every which way towards your target. On a couple of occasions I found myself being charged by the AI and as they got closer and closer the wall behind them diminished and got smaller and smaller as all of my bullets flew past them and ate away at the concrete behind leaving me open to a punch in the face for being so stupid as to even attempt aiming.

The weapons are also really baddly balanced, so on the off chance you do manage to hit someone you wont do that much damage. Unless you get the lightning gun however, because not only do you not require any ammunition, the lightning bolt guides itself to its target and it destroys all enemies in a matter of seconds. Which is a shame really because as soon as you get it you pretty much become invincible and you'll stroll through one of the better and more interesting levels in the game in just a matter or minutes.

The AI is also abysmal in places, it wasn't uncommon for me to see my teamate rusn straight through a firefight without firing a shot at the enemy whilst they just ignored him and also didn't seem to notice that he was there. At times I was wondering if Guerilla were going to work in a sixth sense style twist and say that he was already dead but at the end of the game I discovered that it was just shoddy AI. Especially when I saw enemy soldiers running into burning paintings and setting themselves on fire. But a sony fan boy assured me that this was just because the AI was so advanced that the enemy soldiers had developed their own sense of humour and were doing Richard Pryor impressions.

Its not all doom and gloom though, the character models do look amazing (the textures unfortunately don't in places. On one level there were some metal bars sticking out of concrete slabs that looked like frozen turds when veiwed close up.) Brian Cox is amazing as the evil Visari (shame he wont be around for the sequel as he really put on a great performance.) And the plot isn't that bad for a videogame. The most interesting character from the original is done away with though and just forgotten about though (the ISA spy who was a Helghan.) And the two that remain are pretty boy templar and Rico, the loud american who shouts a lot and gets really quite angry.

On the subject of Americans though, I would like someone to explain to me why all the hellghast sound like londoners (I wanted to say :banana::banana::banana::banana:neys, but well that ain't goin' to fly on this forum.) while the good guys are all american :shrug:

I'd give it a 7/10. Its by no means terrible but with a few simple tweaks it could be a lot better, and the second to last level where you are assualting the palace is one of the best I've ever played. The graphics are also amongst some of the best on the PS3, but Character models aside, it still doesn't manage to match the level of detail in Crysis. Little additions to the gameplay like the cover system also fail as half the time it doesn't work the other half your head is still poking out making your most vulnerable part of your character a target.

And to answer the Halo question. Pfft, it doesn't even come close in my book. Halo raised the bar and set standards in FPS gameplay on consoles, some of which Killzone 2 copied but hasn't managed to set any of its own or improve upon any existing ones.

Blkout
02-28-2009, 06:41 AM
I played for a few hours yesterday and I'm trying to like it as much as the reviewers but I just don't see it being quite that special. I hate the controls and always have for most console FPS's. I'm just a keyboard and mouse kind of guy for these types of games, however a few games like Gears of War and Resistance have been good. Something about the controls in this game though, it seems as if they wanted to make use of every damn button on the controller which gets confusing sometimes and then it seems when I turn to aim, the gun just keeps moving or something as if it's inertia or something. I can slow down the X-axis which helps some, but then it makes it hard to move quickly to targets I need to hit.

I agree with you on the weapons as well, the enemy are spot-on with their shots, but for some reason I can't hit them for :banana::banana::banana::banana:. Seems even when I zoom in and aim at them I'm still missing them.

In fact, I agree with you on most of your points and I'll say Killzone 2 is no Gears of War or Gears of War 2 by far.

iTravis
03-03-2009, 05:05 AM
I haven't touched the single campaign yet since I got hook into the multiplayer. The control might have some sort of problem for you at first but once you get used to it then you find it really interesting. It tooks me 1 day to get used to it and I just keep getting better and better. I think KillZone 2 get decent reviews due to the multiplayer part rather than the SP, it's just so much fun than Halo or GOW IMO.

Chris_redfield
03-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I'll try the multi later on as I have been kind of tied down by Halo Wars and DOW2 at the moment.

The thing is whilst it is possible to 'get used to the controlls' you shouldn't really have to, and a game should be immediately accessible so if you spend a week or two away from it you don't have to find your footing for half an hour when you return. Plus weapons like the sniper rifle are made completely useless by the fact that it is impossible to track fast enough to keep your target in your sights. And without the swords I don't think that K2 will manage to remove Halo from my favourite console shooter.

What made Halo great was that as well as the instantly accessible multi was the fact that the single player was great as well.

GOW I can't comment on because apart from the co-op I haven't tried any of the other multiplayer modes. But in the single player campaign K2 tries so hard to merge the lines between cinema and games and create an astounding jaw dropping action game but falls short. GOW sp 1+2 both keep you enthralled with you guessing what is going to be coming next with better looking environments, better designed cover system, better characters and better plot.

perkam
03-04-2009, 05:13 PM
If COD 4 Multiplayer was a 10/10, what would you rate KZ2 multiplayer?

Perkam

Blkout
03-05-2009, 02:10 AM
I haven't touched the single campaign yet since I got hook into the multiplayer. The control might have some sort of problem for you at first but once you get used to it then you find it really interesting. It tooks me 1 day to get used to it and I just keep getting better and better. I think KillZone 2 get decent reviews due to the multiplayer part rather than the SP, it's just so much fun than Halo or GOW IMO.

Well, it appears that there are many people complaining about the controls in this game as developer Guerilla is considering a change.

http://play.tm/news/23602/guerrilla-consider-killzone-2-control-options/

I'm steadily trying to work my through the single player campaign but the controls are still holding me back more than anything else. I get frustrated sometimes and just have to put the game down and come back to it later. The game has many good qualities but the controls are just sloppy.

Xello
03-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Don't know if i'll pick this up or not, got enough games in my To Play list to keep me going for a few months as it is. Edge gave it a 7, praising the multiplayer also:

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/killzone-2-the-edge-verdict

Chris_redfield
03-07-2009, 04:05 AM
If COD4 were a 10/10

K2 would be 8/10. The maps are fantastic and force a more ranged combat, which is great because when things get close up the wacky controls can make things a little difficult. The inaccuracy of the weapons also gives you a bit more time to react, though it is really frustrating how easy it is to run out of ammunition. Having all the different game modes cycle through a map is also a welcome addition as a game never gets tiresome or boring.

I've only played it for just over an hour and I need to figure out how to become a medic and get some different weapons. I don't know if you unlock these or what but I'll definately keep coming back to this one for a little while longer.

Blkout
03-07-2009, 05:23 AM
One more thing that's annoying is the autosave feature, everytime it autosaves, the game stutters for a second and it autosaves VERY often.

iTravis
03-07-2009, 08:41 AM
If COD4 were a 10/10

K2 would be 8/10. The maps are fantastic and force a more ranged combat, which is great because when things get close up the wacky controls can make things a little difficult. The inaccuracy of the weapons also gives you a bit more time to react, though it is really frustrating how easy it is to run out of ammunition. Having all the different game modes cycle through a map is also a welcome addition as a game never gets tiresome or boring.

I've only played it for just over an hour and I need to figure out how to become a medic and get some different weapons. I don't know if you unlock these or what but I'll definately keep coming back to this one for a little while longer.

Lot of people have been playing COD4 gives a praise to KZ2 multiplayer as well, they might have difference in the control but it's a great experience overall. Like I said, it probably takes quiet sometime to get used to the control or I might be just one among those who have no problem with the control or whatsoever. And about the running of out ammo quick thing, just get to higher rank and you won't see it as a problem. I'm sure as you unlock more classes you'll be hook into this game as you can see how interesting and fun each class is. Maybe you should consider look into this:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&thread.id=107850
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&thread.id=94416
It's fun to play with friends just like Left 4 Dead since you can create a Squad of 4 and voice chat with them. I don't really have any friends to play this game with as I'm trying to convince them yet I still enjoy the multiplayer campaign so much that I just started the single campaign yesterday. :D
@Blkout: Yeh it's annoying everytime it autosave and cause suttering like that but that's the only complain I've found so far during the SP. I also like the enemy AI as well, I started at Veteran right away after getting some experience during the multiplayer and will try to beat Elite later (heard it's hard as hell). Speaking of the control, GG said they will look into it as lot of people have problems with it but they didn't say they will change it as for others including me don't have any problem. Patch 1.2 just came out yesterday and it seems they didn't fix anything in the control.
Btw, I saw on KZ2 board that you might wanna try this trick if you have problem with the control. In PS3 settings, turn Cross Color Reduction Filter to OFF and see if it helps.

Chris_redfield
03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
So far I've only managed to unlock the SMG and shotgun.

It is a lot better than most multiplayer titles and I was hugely surprised by it if I'm honest. I just wish there were a few more weapons and classes to choose from when first starting out as opposed to getting a choice between two guns.

The inaccuracy of the guns as well can be highly infuriating because trying to keep a target in your sights is made difficult by the poor controls. Still these niggles aside it is still really enjoyable. And I'm sure there is a lot of stuff to unlock you just have to perservere for a bit. In one match I went into there was a guy who had a bot hovering above his head whilst also allowing himself to turn invisible.

The quick save thing I don't really have an issue with as I can't think of a single game with auto save that doesn't generate a slight stutter when its saving.

iTravis
03-07-2009, 12:03 PM
You just need to keep playing all the way to get General ranking and unlock all weapons and classes. That's when you get the Sniper and unlock the Scout class so you can be invisible. I guess you're at Sergent ranking at this time that's why there are just a few weapon options available. Keep playing my friend. :D I got to General on Wednesday and it's been hella fun ever since.