PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with my aircooling!

Noldor
11-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Before I post my specs and thought I'd like to point out a few things. I'm quite new to cooling and overclocking. Been reading these boards for three or four months, but that's it. So, I'd GREATLY appreciate if you explained detailed why I should do certain things, and what will happen. :stick:

The reason why I go aircooling is the following.

1. My parents won't let me do watercooling or refrigeration cooling because they believe it will destroy my system.

2. Liquid and refrigeration cooling is way too expensive for me since I'm 17 and I pay for all computer stuff myself. Parents bought my system though.

So, what do I want to do?

I want to get maximum overclock from my system. Ram, CPU and Graphics.
If i should add some fans and stuff the maximum cost is 200 dollars total. That's it, my budget can't affor more.
Noice and appearance is not of importance, though I'd like to keep everything inside of my case! So in other words, I want maximum cooling, for under 200 dollars with AIR.

My specs!

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
ASUS A7V8X 333 FBS support
Kingston 512MB PC 2700 one stick
80GB IBM 7200RPM HD 8MB Cashe
Geeforce4 MX400 128MB

Case: http://www.technoyard.com/hardware/miscellaneous/neon/page_1.html

One fan, for intake in the front. 80mm generic. One fan on the rear exhaust 80mm generic. And one fan in my power supply 360W.

All cables rounded and hidden away for maximum airflow.

My CPU cooler is an Arctic Copper Cooler with 80mm fan. Capable of cooling up to 2700MHz.

On my Graphics card i have a pretty small heatsink.

What are my temps?`

Well, my room temperature is ranging from 18C-22C depending on time of the day.

IDLE:
Case: 22-23
CPU: 35-37

NORMAL:
Case: 24-25
CPU: 39-43

FULL LOAD:
Case: 25-27
CPU: 43-51

So, guys! What do i do to get more COOOLING?!!

Thank you!

sandman
11-03-2003, 02:34 PM
Well, that case is going to hurt ariflow. Are you willing to cut soem holes in it for fans?

If so, I'd suggest a 120mm fan over the cpu area on the side panel. And a 120mm fan in the top.

Honestly, if you play games or anything, rather than spend money on heatsinks, I'd get a better video card.

If not, then I'd suggest an slk-900A, you can pick them up from www.svc.com for fairly cheap. A 92mm tornado, with a sunbeam rheobus, as it will get to you.

Then, take the heatsink off your cpu, cut holes in it to mount it to the video card with plastic bolts, and you should be cooled well.

the slk-900A, because I don't think your board has the 4 mounting holes that some other high performance heatsinks require, but the slk-900A still gives good performance.

the heatsink on your video card, because it will work much better than other "made for gpu" heatsinks, as it has much more surface area.

Ulfar
11-05-2003, 05:57 AM
I have the slk-900 with the tornado. Both work exelent. Its not the lowest dB combination. But its good to have the power there when you need it. I idle at 34 ish and full load at like 38ish all @ 2500 ish rpms, both of my fans.

KnightElite
11-05-2003, 07:04 AM
http://www.overclockers.com/tips461/

Might be worth trying this out. Some of the best air cooling one can get. obviously, the best heastsink that you can get, and a duct, would be the best combination here, so probably this with SLK-900A.

Tawcan
11-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Looking at the case you can see that there's no holes in the front for air intake (there probably is, but very small). This reduces the intake cfm of the fan at the front. Again looking at the case it looks like modding it might not be a good option.

There are a few options you can try:

1.) Get a new case with better air circulation

2.) Cut a side blow fan and duct the air to the cpu.

3.) Put the case in a fridge. :p:

Option 3 is the cheapest but most likely won't work.