PDA

View Full Version : How to create a fan cable that connects to multiple fans on 1 channel!

ILikeCosmosS
02-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Requirements:

12inch fan extension (3pin to 3pin)
4inch fan extensions(depending on how many fans you want on that fan channel)
solder & soldering gun
sleeving and heatshrink
black fan connectors
before starting unsleeve the fan extensions

1.) start off by taking 1 of the 3pin plugs from the 12inch fan extension
2.) Mark where you want you fan connectors to be coming out with a sharpie or pen, mark all three wires not just one!
3.) cut off the rubber area where you marked your sharpie on each of the wires (to solder the 4inch fan extension together)
4.) take 1 connector off the 4inch fan extensions
5.) solder each wire with the corresponding wire color
simple so far right?
6.) start by doing 1 first then sleeve the ends
Simple word of advice for sleeving: cut a small area in the sleeving where the 4inch fan extension comes out ( look at the diagram!)
7.) this is the pattern you have to this to sleeve the wires
do 1 connector then sleeve them and so on

hope i helped and creating a guide for making a good looking wire harness

i am not sure if you should do all of the yellow wires though ( i would but i might be wrong)?

look at the diagram before starting!

Tsaroth
02-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for that.

ALTHOUGH......

unless what you are plugging into can handle all the draw you're gonna break something.

You can't just load 5-6 fans onto one channel and expect it to work unless that fan controller can handle the watts per channel.

gillbot
02-24-2009, 06:09 PM
http://jab-tech.com/3-pin-Y-adapter-pr-1591.html

ILikeCosmosS
02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for that.

ALTHOUGH......

unless what you are plugging into can handle all the draw you're gonna break something.

You can't just load 5-6 fans onto one channel and expect it to work unless that fan controller can handle the watts per channel.

i know that i am talking about stuff like bigNG and rheobus extreme
more like 3-4 and the spilters look ugly

shazza
02-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Still haven't figured out why you want to go this way, but it will be interesting to see how you manage to sleeve it.

Tsaroth
02-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Still haven't figured out why you want to go this way, but it will be interesting to see how you manage to sleeve it.

I am stalking you :P

I will be doing something similar on my build as soon as I get the sleeving in.

I however will not be splicing into a parallel line. I will be piggy backing from one fan into the next into the next into the final tail. Doing it for 3 fans on each side of my one radiator and for 2 fans into one on both sides of another.

Cosmos, you keep us posted on your idea if it comes to fruition and I'll keep us posted on mine, maybe people can learn from both (my idea came from others though. I'm just gonna see how nice I can do it).

shazza
02-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Good deal, Tsaroth. Please do post pics. That's pretty much how I do it. I used to have some links to great guides, but the pics on those are down. And, I have to say, my latest attempts have worked but are not photo-worthy :)

Cosmos ... I admire your creativity. Let us know how it works.

Power_VANO
02-25-2009, 04:39 AM
I have done something like this 3 months ago for my case's side panel :)

In fact I have done 4-to-1 fan connector. It works like a breeze for 2 Noctua NF-P12's and 2 Xencore 80mm low speed fans :)

And about yellow wire:
You should not connect all yellow wires together. They wont be readable correctly. I am using only 1 yellow wire from those 4 connectors.

Tsaroth
02-25-2009, 06:24 AM
And about yellow wire:
You should not connect all yellow wires together. They wont be readable correctly. I am using only 1 yellow wire from those 4 connectors.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I forgot that as well (not on mine but in posting).

Yeah, the yellow wires is only good to have on the last fan that actually plugs into the controller.

Snip all the yellow wires up to that point only doing red and black. If the RPM on the last fan is reading correctly then it's safe to assume that all your fans are turning at the same exact speed.

Power_VANO
02-25-2009, 06:32 AM
here is what I am using:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1200/dsc01438w.jpg

needs a bit sleeving :)

Mech0z
02-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Anyone happen to know if Scythe Kaze can take 3 Yate Loon 1350rpm? (On one channel)

ILikeCosmosS
02-25-2009, 01:44 PM
ill start by getting my case sleeving wiring fans in march and start getting it ready for my compenents

(powdercoating,dremel, fan setups)

shazza and tsaroth i will get a real picture posted by the end of march (my birthday is then i get cha ching)

Hybridchemistry
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
here is what I am using:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1200/dsc01438w.jpg[/IMG]
needs a bit sleeving :)
First think about some rubber shrink tubing, its cheap, and you can use a lighter to shrink it, please get some.