256MB original Samsung PC2100
InnoVision Kyro 2 64mb TV out
1x CD Rom Asus 50x
1x Floppy
1x Fujitsu 40 Gb Silent Drive HDD with FDB
no PCI in use
no Raid in use

Ok and here's the problem

I tried to OC my (still locked) CPU by FSB, first i put FSB up about 1-5 Mhz but CPU failed the POST, ok, so i guess the AGP or IDE card/controller cant handle that....

Then i pushed FSB up to 166 so everything else would be at normal frequency again, righz...? Yes, it worked, fine, 1750mhz. Ok but the system was not stable and seems to produce some errors (super pi). I changed vCore to 1,85v and everything was just fine.

After a few benches and few restarts i shut down the system, when i turned on a few hrs later folowing msg appeard on the Windows 2000 boot screen:.

system file missing or damaged... ...system32 etc. guess you know that message :)

I tried to repair, no Way, so i had to reinstall w2k, however after a few hrs of work everything was running again, 1st reboot after setup was done, same fu***** error again....

and 4 more times i endet up like this... system file or ntoskrnl was damaged...

Now i'm a little angry and helples, whats wrong with it? I know mysefes maaany people running their XP's at 170, 180 ore above fsb without any troubles. WHAT DID I DO WRONG???

Could anyone help?

Thanks alot, cy Nighty

Tweaked!
08-05-2002, 03:31 AM
Did you try lower your fsb before fixing??? Your sys32 file might not be damaged, might just be your hard drive not being able to read it at those speeds. The rest of the system has to be able to handle the higher fsb's.

IFMU
08-05-2002, 03:33 AM
One thing I would suggest is to try to lower it down to defualt settings and see if it still gives you the same problems. Sounds kinda odd for an OC to kill an OS that many times so close together. Im wondering if something else may have some problems there.
HDD damage? OS disk is bad or dirty causing bad install? Not to sure, but Id see how it runs at defualt.

DaGooch
08-05-2002, 03:50 AM
I have the same board and when using PC2100 the board will let you boot with a FSB of 166 and a ratio of 4:2:1 and you probably did not set it to 5:2:1 and your PCI was probably at 41.5MHz causing the data corruption on your hard drive.

Nightstalker
08-05-2002, 04:07 AM
1. i just CAN't go down because the devider on lower FSB makes me and up in a non post, this is because the AGP or any other device that can't handle a higher fequency... dunno. on 166 FSB the devider set's the clock freq. for pci etc. to normal again. however, i can't go down... i tried 134 fsb, no post :)

2. first i thought that too but after the second Crash i cleaned up everything using Fdisk and format. chkdisk reortet NO errors, same scandisc. But after reinstalling w2k same error after a few minutes and a system reset....

Ok, after the 4th crash i set everything back 2 default and now my sys works normaly and 100% stable...

WTF is wrong... :(

I postet this in another Forum (in Austria :)) to and there r a few people explaining same Problems with very different settings but most of them have figured out a Problem with the Promise Raid Controller, i've got this Controller on my board but no HD on it so thats not it.

Nightstalker
08-05-2002, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by DaGoochMeister
I have the same board and when using PC2100 the board will let you boot with a FSB of 166 and a ratio of 4:2:1 and you probably did not set it to 5:2:1 and your PCI was probably at 41.5MHz causing the data corruption on your hard drive.

that means i've to set the ratio divider to 5:2:1... ok but i guess i've done that , hmm, ok i'll check it again, mybe it's just a stupid mistake i made beliving in a correct setting that i never set up right... hm :D

Ok, i'll check it out when i'm back home.

THX

stoopid
08-05-2002, 06:29 AM
I had similar issues above 149mhz because my older Western Digital drive can't handle the higher FSB.

LORD
08-05-2002, 06:38 AM
Try also to lower your ATA setting for the ide.

You should be able to set it to ATA 33 for now, to see if that also solves your problem.

Nightstalker
08-05-2002, 10:25 AM
Ok, first of all i'll get myselfes a small HDD for testing, i'm not interestet in loosing all my data again...

And then:

1st i'll make sure the devider is set to 5:2:1 and try again...
if it works, fine :)

if it's not working i'll try slowing down the ATA bus to 33, it's 100 at the Moment.

but what if nothin' works? May i try to rise DDR voltage or io voltage?

However, i'll try a few things... it just HAVE TO WORK! :D

cya

LORD
08-06-2002, 12:10 AM
I did not see what your particular drive is rated at (Whether it is ATA 100, 66, 33)

I can tell you about my own particular experience. I had a couple WD 40 Gig BB. One of them did not like ATA 100. Yeah just some of the hardware I've managed to kill in my time. Drive was rated for ATA 100. Yet when I clocked the fsb over 166.....corruption occured. Similar to what you have described.

Problem was solved by lowering to ATA 66......

I think it is one of the first things you should do when clocking up very high. It gives you a bit of insurance. Especially if you aren't certain.

Good luck.

:)

Nightstalker
08-06-2002, 12:35 AM
But however i still think when ratio is set to 5:2:1 everything should work well... ATA 100 should work too but lowering ATA to 66 is the next thing i'll try :)