PDA

View Full Version : Fan Controller Options

capreppy
02-23-2009, 05:43 AM
I am in the process of building my new rig (build log in my sig).

There are several fan controller threads, but each situation is unique and honestly don't have a desire to hijack a fellow forum members thread :D

I will be running 3 x MCR320 in a Push/Pull with YL D12SH-12 for a total of 18 fans. In addition, there are 4 YL D12SH-12 in the rear. I will be rewiring the cables so that that all 6 fans on each MCR320 are off of one 3 pin fan connector. I will be doing the same with the rear fans. This is a total of 4 fan leads. I would like to run the RAD fans on Med or Low (purchased high in case I ever wanted to go all out for performance in benchies). The rear fans will be running med/high.

In addition to the above, I will have a BP Temp Sensor in both loops.

Fan 1 thru 3: 12v * .3amps = 3.6 watts * 6 fans = 21.6 watts per lead
Fan 4: 12v * .3 amps = 3.6 watts * 4 = 14.4 watts

If I were to go with traditional fan controllers, I would have many options that could do it.

I would like a more automated solution. Requirements:
- Ability to adjust fan speeds based on temps
- Ability to display temp sensor readings (either on hard drive bay cover or in Vista)
- Ability to shut down on certain temps (catastrophic failure?)
- Ability to handle the respective fan lead loads listed above

I believe my only option is a T-Balancer BigNG paired with a MiniNG. Is it really my only option? If so, how would you configure the leads into the BigNG & MiniNG. Can it be done with JUST the BigNG?

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I would like to mount in one of the drive bays.

biggles1
02-23-2009, 06:03 AM
As long as you are running your fans in PWM mode and provide some cooling to the bigNG heatsink (you should easily accomplish that with all your fans... ;) ), you should be fine. BTW, if it isn't satisfactory, you could always but the miniNG after you tested just the bigNG.