PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice On Video Encoding For my Zune

jasonelmore
02-22-2009, 06:52 AM
I need some advice on encoding my divx files to fit on my zune. I'm trying to find the optimum Bitrate that I can use and still retain the same quality that the Divx files are.

I bought PQ Zune Suite and it has a Batch Converter. I found this is much faster than using Badaboom which will not let you do batch converstions. I simply switch my HT tech on in the bios and it encodes just as fast as the Badaboom program that uses my GTX 295. That program has some seriouse limitations but that is another topic for another thread.

Anyways I would like to know what I should set my bitrate to in Relation to the bitrate the Divx files are using.

Ok, I'm Right clicking on the DivX file and clicking properties and then going to the "Details" Tab. Then a window pops up telling me the Video BitRate and the Audio BitRate that the files is using.
When I convert these to Mpeg 4 do I simply double the bitrate of the divx file to get the same quality or what is the equation??? My zune will play on Regular tvs too so I would still like them to retain there original quality. i'm not talking about HD 720p or anything but i don't want it to be a mess.

I dont really care about HOW LONG it takes to convert but I DO care about How big the file is. In other words, a 700MB Divx File is turning out to be a 2GB MPG4 File. I've just been setting the bitrate to 2000 on all my files. But this has seriously filled up my zune quicker than I wanted it to.

For Example. If the Divx Bitrate Properties window of a certain movie says the Bitrate is 140kbps then what should I set my converting Bitrate too?
Thanks for your help

BTW. The Zune only supports .mpeg4 and .wmv formats for video. Would I be better off converting these to wmv or Mpeg 4? That is my second question

jasonelmore
02-22-2009, 07:42 AM
common. i know there are some video guru's out there

GeorgeStorm
02-22-2009, 09:44 AM
I have a Zune, (the 30gb original one)
It only accepts .wmv, but I use Cucusoft video suite, and, I convert at a bitrate of 768, and the quality is fine to me, (altohugh I dont watch the stuff on TV, and it doesnt get too big, (superbad is around 900mb, this is at 320x240 aswell.....

jasonelmore
02-22-2009, 10:09 AM
yeah well I have the 120GB zune 2.0 version. It supports .mpeg4 and .wmv.

Anyone else out there?

jasonelmore
02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
bump

Frank M
02-22-2009, 02:39 PM
bump

Patience, young'un ;)

fit on my zune
optimum Bitrate that I can use and still retain the same quality that the Divx files are.

Ok, I'm Right clicking on the DivX file and clicking properties and then going to the "Details" Tab. Then a window pops up telling me the Video BitRate and the Audio BitRate that the files is using.
When I convert these to Mpeg 4 do I simply double the bitrate of the divx file to get the same quality or what is the equation??? My zune will play on Regular tvs too so I would still like them to retain there original quality. i'm not talking about HD 720p or anything but i don't want it to be a mess.

I dont really care about HOW LONG it takes to convert but I DO care about How big the file is. In other words, a 700MB Divx File is turning out to be a 2GB MPG4 File.

BTW. The Zune only supports .mpeg4 and .wmv formats for video. Would I be better off converting these to wmv or Mpeg 4? That is my second question

Well, I approached this problem from the other end: I sometimes use
my pda to watch movies on long trips -- in my case the 2GB microSD
is a great limiting factor, so my focus was: how low can I get it down
in size?
Since I watch it only in the native 320*240 and not on tv, I could still
get watchable quality at 192-256kbps + 2*48kbps IIRC...

Experiment.
There is no clear formula, as the encoding compression can vary a
lot depending on the material. Also, divx is a vague term and can
refer to a wide range of settings. I'd try the same bitrate for video,
or if it's lower resolution, then proportionally lower bitrate (eg.
640*480 --> 320*240 is 1/4 the resolution, so 1/4 or 1/3 the
bitrate is fine) and 128 (2*64) to 192 (2*96) stereo mp3 audio.
If you don't like the result, then set the bitrate higher.

Setting to 2000kbps -- well IMO that's almost 720p territory, so for
SD (720*576/720*480) and lower, it's not necessary with good
compression encoding.

Btw: MPEG4 is not a format, it's a set of video compression methods
devised by the Motion Picture Experts Group; .mp4 is a subset of
MPEG4.

Btw2: I use super for encoding: supports a lot of formats, has a
good list of presets, it's built around mplayer's encoder (called
mencoder), which is a good and powerful tool, and meanwhile it's free.

Papu
02-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Have a look out for Imtoo zune encoder, Link (http://www.imtoo.com/zune-video-converter.html) , free trials there but its pretty crippled , should be enough to see if it gets you the results tho.

Isteak
02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi people, I recently got a new Zune and need suggestions on some good software
that can convert ... Need help with video capture, editing, encoding or playback
. ... I would advice you to try out the one that I use i.e

jasonelmore
03-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Hi people, I recently got a new Zune and need suggestions on some good software
that can convert ... Need help with video capture, editing, encoding or playback
. ... I would advice you to try out the one that I use i.e

I would suggest PQ DvD to Zune Suite. It also has a batch converter and uses HT tech if you have it