PDA

View Full Version : Condensation?

Svenn
08-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Okay, I've been thinking about the motherboard problems and I thought of something. It doesn't seem to me that any of my waterblocks are leaking... The water level hasn't seemed to drop any and I can't feel anything. But the system has only worked twice, once for 15-20 minutes and once for almost an hour. Now what I'm wondering is if it's somehow condensating somewhere that I can't see and messing with the board. Is it possible?

Hardass
08-04-2002, 06:25 PM
I really don,t think you will get condensation from straight water, unless your water temp is really cold.

Svenn
08-04-2002, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I didn't think I would either, but the only other explanation is defective board... But then why would it work like once a day?

Svenn
08-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Here's what I'm thinking. If the cpu is getting hot, and the air between the cpu non-core part (forget what it is called) and the waterblock is hot. The water inside the block is cool. Could this possibly cause condensation there? I think I may take off the block and check it out.

TheDude
08-04-2002, 06:54 PM
I agree with Hardass...you won't get condensation with straight watercooling. Your temps are probably near room temps. I had condensation fry a video card in the Vapo. I rewrapped the evap hose and have had no further problems.
Sounds like the board alright..you eliminated all else. Maybe time to RMA it? If you got it from Newegg...you can have a new one in a couple of days and then they credit your account for the old one. You've already done everything I can think of.

Smizack
08-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Svenn
Here's what I'm thinking. If the cpu is getting hot, and the air between the cpu non-core part (forget what it is called) and the waterblock is hot. The water inside the block is cool. Could this possibly cause condensation there? I think I may take off the block and check it out.

Well, could you slap a heatsink on it to test your theory? Run it for a few hrs without watercooling and see what it does. That should answer your question either way.

Svenn
08-04-2002, 07:06 PM
Well it won't start up period right now. If I wait maybe another 24 hours or so I could see what happens.

IFMU
08-04-2002, 09:16 PM
Well I will tell you now, if you are using just water and a rad with fans, you will not get condensation. The only way I think it might be possible, is if the humidity there is pushing 100. Otherwise, I seriouslly doubt it. I have never heard of anyone ever having condensation with just watercooling.
Now if you add in ice, have anything that could drop the temp below your room temps, then its possible. Say like your rad being directly in front of an AC unit. Otherwise, not. Your water just cant get below room temps with just fans cooling the water. By my understanding, not possible.
Let alone water would fry the board, or short it out. It wouldnt just temporarily kill it.
I would say it is something else in there.
Theres no telling by what you have here, but theres something else causing probs.

SponGeBoB
08-04-2002, 09:54 PM
nope no way condensation is your problem, and i know i haven't said much before this, but i followed this little saga of yours and i would bet that it IS the MoBo giving you the problems, so i would go ahead and RMA it.

just my $.02

Svenn
08-05-2002, 04:12 AM
Alright, thanks for all the help guys. I wanted to pick up a new mobo back on Friday, but the place was closed. Depending on how late I have to work, I may get a new mobo today. I hope it is the mobo. I'll let you guys know how it works out.