PDA

View Full Version : AMD prepares dual-core 45nm surprise

HondaGuy
02-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Callisto with 6MB of L3 cache

AMD has another surprise for Intel. It's preparing a CPU codenamed Callisto and this is a new CPU that we haven’t seen on the roadmap before.

The Heka three-core is nothing more than Deneb quad-core without one core, and with this in mind AMD wants to do the same with the new dual-core. The CPU, codenamed Callisto, is a 45nm dual-core with 1MB L2 and a massive 6MB of L3 cache.

This is an AM3 CPU that is harvested from the Deneb core and despite the fact that it might be quite a big chip, it should give dual-core Pentium CPUs a run for its money. You can expect this CPU in Q2 2009 and we are sure that this CPU might give Intel's Core 2 dual-core generation a lot to fight for.

G0ldBr1ck
02-17-2009, 08:20 AM
AMD must be having more yield problems with deneb more then they did with agena. Tripple cores 1 month in and now dual cores. It took longer with agena to get tripple cores and nearly a year before a dual came.

chew*
02-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Nah I don't think they are having issues, based on the way these OC I would say they are overbinning if anything. They're standards for the high end parts seem to be very strict atm.

I'm looking forawrd to these, 7 gig ln2 anyone ;)

Hemi345
02-17-2009, 08:24 AM
:up: LOL i was just going to post this.

Just judging how easily the PII 720 overclocks in all the reviews I have read, I can only wonder if AMD will release this dual core CPU at 3ghz+ since it should easily stay within their target 95W max power envelope running just two cores. Intel's E8400 might have a fight on their hands.

EnJoY
02-17-2009, 08:26 AM
I'll take two...for QUAD CORES!!!

demonkevy666
02-17-2009, 08:31 AM
AMD must be having more yield problems with deneb more then they did with agena. Tripple cores 1 month in and now dual cores. It took longer with agena to get tripple cores and nearly a year before a dual came.

I don't think this is low yields at all.
It seem more like the opposite just the a since the yield are higher you can get more slightly defect chips now.
The odd changes with the yields to defect ratio.
AMD took time much time with 65nm triples and dual cores this is wise more for AMD.
this new dual core sound awesome though.

Smartidiot89
02-17-2009, 08:36 AM
Naw Deneb have been in production for a few months now, and tri-cores were just released so I don't think AMD is having much issues :) I won't expect this "callisto" to come in great quantities or in many models either.

This will be a welcome surprise indeed, but what about the powerusage? Atleast on Agens tri-cores and dual-cores with disabled cores drew nearly as much as the quad-cores.

FatAlbert
02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
for me it look like fake :(

fudzilla :(

but IF

sub10, 7ghz looks fantastic :D

Particle
02-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Are the Deneb based dual and tri cores the same way power wise? I thought these cores have been revamped to save a lot more power when a core is disabled.

chew*
02-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Are the Deneb based dual and tri cores the same way power wise? I thought these cores have been revamped to save a lot more power when a core is disabled.

If wattage consumption = Heat then yes they should be rated even lower, the 720 runs much cooler at higher volts than the quads i have been working with.

Ripperjack
02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
The difference between 65nm 4 and 3 core power consumption was much much bigger than the difference on 45nm though.

naokaji
02-17-2009, 09:02 AM
The 720BE is allready the same price as the E7500 here, so I really don't see why they need more new lower end chips especially considering they most likely won't have large quantities of them. I think releasing higher clocked tri cores would be the better option, just my 2 cents.

Particle
02-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Yes, wattage is the same as heat for processors. Since CPUs don't produce any light, motion, or hardly anything else but a very tiny amount of power in the form of I/O signals, virtually all electrical power is converted to heat in a CPU. As such, if your CPU is using 50W of power, it's safe to assume it is emitting 50W of heat or close enough to it to be considered 50W in practicality.

Rammsteiner
02-17-2009, 09:20 AM
The 720BE is allready the same price as the E7500 here, so I really don't see why they need more new lower end chips especially considering they most likely won't have large quantities of them. I think releasing higher clocked tri cores would be the better option, just my 2 cents.
But if they've even more lower prised CPU's they might get a better spot on the market for people who've no clue about Intel vs AMD;)

Nice to see this change, a dual core with 6MB L3 cache should be rocking for single threaded apps:cool:

Throwed
02-17-2009, 09:26 AM

Gotta disagree here too. It's all about having a good/new product line up. The most profitable market is between 50-250 bucks when it comes to retail CPU's and I think AMD is trying to have a product for anyone that is in the mainstream market for a CPU and want something fresh and new. NTM, AMD lacks in the dual core department. They haven't released a new high performing dually in a long time. Their best dual core CPU's ATM are the old Brisbanes....which definatly need to be refreshed.

Smartidiot89
02-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Well these dual-cores doesn't cut it cause 2 cores is broken or unstable. So better sell a cheap dual-core on the market, then just throwing the chip away?

Also I bet this will break the magic 7ghz barrier:cool:

How long until Pentium 4's 8220mhz domination is over?:rofl:

HardCode
02-17-2009, 09:27 AM

I agree and I don't see why AMD feels the need to release yet another budget chip into its lineup. I'm not sure why someone would opt for a dual-core budget chip when they can purchase a tri or quad core unit for a little more, these chips would need to be priced well under the current line-ups to lure someone into buying them...at least that's my opinion.

Smartidiot89
02-17-2009, 09:37 AM
I agree and I don't see why AMD feels the need to release yet another budget chip into its lineup. I'm not sure why someone would opt for a dual-core budget chip when they can purchase a tri or quad core unit for a little more, these chips would need to be priced well under the current line-ups to lure someone into buying them...at least that's my opinion.
As said above, it's better for AMD to sell these chips with 2 defect cores, then just throwing the chip away. Yes it problably will be cheap and thats the we love it!

Throwed
02-17-2009, 09:55 AM

You have to take into account that some people just can't afford the extra for a X3. You may have the extra to splurge, but some people don't. Not to mention these operate on AM3 and I am sure there is some average joe that will think..."Hey, I will buy this dirt cheap dually now and get a quad later when I can afford it". You have to look at this as a smart busniess decision.

charged3800z24
02-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I like what I am hearing. I would loved to see these released up to 3.2ghz. They should run cool and could be good HTPC chips too. Like a 2.6ghz model.
I like seeing suprises from AMD. I hope they have more.:up:

chew*
02-17-2009, 10:20 AM
With the economy in the :banana::banana::banana::banana:ter as it would be the whole spending a $150 on a chip is out the window.

I build alot of PC's for average joes and I barely make a dime, and when I give them a quote of $400 they look at me like I have 3 heads......average joe does not want to pay alot for a muffler, average joe makes up 90% of the market as well...they're response "I can get a pc at walmart for less than $400"

I end up almost all times using a sub $100 chip for the builds as I refuse to cut corners on the PSU.

Only on rare occasions can I talk someone into a slightly better cpu. That minority tends to use applications like MS office and Photoshop and know that a slightly better cpu will give them a better experience.

Throwed
02-17-2009, 11:04 AM
With the economy in the :banana::banana::banana::banana:ter as it would be the whole spending a $150 on a chip is out the window.

I build alot of PC's for average joes and I barely make a dime, and when I give them a quote of $400 they look at me like I have 3 heads......average joe does not want to pay alot for a muffler, average joe makes up 90% of the market as well...they're response "I can get a pc at walmart for less than $400"

I end up almost all times using a sub $100 chip for the builds as I refuse to cut corners on the PSU.

Only on rare occasions can I talk someone into a slightly better cpu. That minority tends to use applications like MS office and Photoshop and know that a slightly better cpu will give them a better experience.

Chew, I get the samething. I usually end up telling them to go to Wal Mart and get that cheap PC because I don't build junk. Then I tell them that they won't be able to play games on it. It's tax time and I have been building a few systems and I have been using these parts in most of the builds and customer have been completly happy....

Radeon 4650....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161262

AMD Dual Core...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103298

2 GB of RAM...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148163

ASUS mobo...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131342

DVD-RW Burner
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106263

Case...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811148030

Hard Drive...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136098

Cost under 300 for all the parts, but I charge them 500.00. For monitor, mouse/keyboard, and speakers I charge them for whatever they cost.

Lightman
02-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Agena was produced on 65nm process alongside Brisbane core (much higher production). Volume of QC was low hence rate of gathering partially failed cores was low as well.
Deneb is produced on 45nm and so far it is the only core utilizing AMD factory. Volume is much higher than for Agena therefor time to stock 3-cores is quicker. Bear in mind AMD is producing 45nm Shanghai for some time now ;)

From what I've gathered, Deneb cores can be totally cut out off power when crippling chips. It was not possible on Agena so disabled core was still using power due to current leakage.

From enthusiast consumer point of view you're right!
Reason why AMD needs dual-core ASAP is simple. Rate of adoption of new AM3 platform! Mobo manufactures are willing to spend on R&D and marketing of product if it will have good user base. Quads are still just a fraction of desktop PC market. Besides Quad for Laptop is overkill and AMD needs to address that quickly growing market with good DC based on 45nm tech. I know it won't be salvage part, but redesigned core in a way Turion was created ;)

largon
02-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Would be nice to have a native 45nm DC from AMD.
Maybe with a blazing fast 2... err... let's say 4MB L2. L3 is horribly slow and it makes no sense to have one on a DC.
http://largon.wippiespace.com/smilies/chit.gif

demonkevy666
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Maybe with a blazing fast 2... err... let's say 4MB L2. L3 is horribly slow and it makes no sense to have one on a DC.

if you don't want slow L3 cache as you call it you get propos 4 cores no L3 cache.

Hemi345
02-17-2009, 01:21 PM

The additional L3 cache available per core helped the 720 X3 match or even beat the 940 X4 in a few benchmarks even with a 200mhz deficit so I don't think the L3 is speed bump by any means.

Nedjo
02-17-2009, 02:44 PM

well if you take in to account that 45nm K10 is in the production for nearly a year now... harvested dual cores after 15 months is quite a log period for harvesting...

Mechromancer
02-17-2009, 04:58 PM
This is great news, but it stresses my belief that AMD ROADMAPS ARE COMPLETELY USELESS! They pretty much just make things up as they go, which isn't neccessarily a bad thing, it just makes their roadmaps carry the weight of a feather. It seems like they've changed it once a month for the last year LOL.

Raiderman
02-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I like it when AMD comes out with some surprises, remind me of the old days. I use road maps as a general guideline when new processes are being released.
Remember, there are always forks in the road, and usually, the more forks the better.