PDA

View Full Version : My computer still isn't working!

Svenn
08-04-2002, 09:17 AM
Okay, so I let my computer sit for a while the other day and the beeps ended up just disappearing. I figured my water cooling leaked (it seemed a little damp at times) so I got some silicon sealant and sealed the cpu block. I was running it last night, working on getting my RAID setup, when suddenly it wouldn't boot again. Well first it froze before even posting, and then it wouldn't boot. And now I get the same endless long beeps. I guess the water must have leaked again but I don't know how. Maybe because I had just put the sealant on and it wasn't doing it's job yet or something... I'm not even positive it's water though. Any suggestions? What about ways to make it dry quicker if that's the problem?

Tweaked!
08-04-2002, 09:34 AM
If thats the problem, you can dry it with a hairdryer. Are you certain
it's your cooling setup causing this? Could be something to do with the raid setup. I've never messed with setting up a raid system, so I can't help you there. :(

Svenn
08-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Well, last time I had nothing connected but video card, memory, and cpu and it was still doing this. I tried disconnecting the RAID drives and clearing CMOS and nothing. As for Hair Dryer, how long would it take and would using it too long damage anything?

TheDude
08-04-2002, 10:00 AM
That long beep could mean 1st..memory 2nd..PS or 3rd ...Motherboard

You probably have already checked memory and PS. Motherboard is pretty a non-discript error and could be anything ..including shorts caused by h20. As far as I know, you won't damage the board with the hair dryer as long as it doesn't make contact with the board. Can you test it with air after you dry it?

Svenn
08-04-2002, 10:02 AM
Well, mem and PS I know work. Motherboard was working for like 15 minutes, then it went back to beeping. I'm not even sure the water is leaking. I sealed the cpu block with silicon sealant last night and then attached it and it worked for a few minutes and went back to beeping, I'd assume water leaked but I can't figure out from where.

KnightElite
08-04-2002, 10:20 AM
I had the exact same thing happen to me. My KR7A-RAID won't do anything but beep after my watercooling leaked due to waterblock meltage (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=428323).

All the board does now is beep, even last time I tried it a month after the accident. I'm guessing you're looking at getting a new board :(.

Svenn
08-04-2002, 10:26 AM
Well, that's the thing, it went from beeping, to not beeping, and back to beeping again. I figured it got wet, dried out, and then got wet again... It's only been about 12-14 hours since it started beeping again so it may not have dried back out. The only problem is I can't find where it would be leaking from.

septimus
08-04-2002, 06:49 PM
I can scarcely belive that you allow your water system to run with a suspected leak.

I guess you will eventually close the leak, but in the mean time, why not try running on a heatsink and fan? It is possible that the mobo is shot, but it will be hard to tell until you try air cooling.

As long as your board looks physically perfect, you can always RMA it. so, be super careful ;)