PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Omnia 16GB

kingzl3y
02-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Just got it, replacement for my SE w950i.
Was on o2 PayAsYouGo, but moved to Orange pay monthly, was spending about £20~30/month on PAYG so decided to go for a £35/month contract with 200minutes and unlimited texts and a data package (200mb @ 3G+ speeds/month) and I believe 3G+ is up to 7mb/s (depends on your area though i guess).
http://www.letsgodigital.org/images/artikelen/47/samsung-omnia.jpg
Just the main specs:
-Windows Mobile 6.1
-624MHz marvell PXA312 Processor
-3.2″ WQVGA TFT LCD 240×400
-5MP Camera (CMOS) with auto focus, image stabilizer, geo-tagging, auto-panorama shot, wide dynamic range, face detection, smile detection
-DivX, XviD, H.263, H.264, WMV, MP4
-GPS Navigation
-16GB (In built :3) Flash + External Micro SDHC slot
-BlueTooth 2.0, USB 2.0, Wi-Fi
-MS Office Document Viewer, Advanced PIM Apps, Push E-mail, Auto Rotation, TV Out
-Accelerator(like the iPood')

Honestly, only had it for 2 days, but it's the best phoned I've managed to get my hands on.
I'll post some more pics later on, but just thought i'd start a topic about it.
Anyone else have one?

LaMpiR
02-05-2009, 11:47 AM
What didn't you get HTC Diamond? Much better...

Mungri
02-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I really wanted to get this phone for my upgrade, but then I read that it only records at VGA resolution with 15 FPS. Being a picky git, I am going to wait for the LG KM900 Arena which is basically identical to the omnia, but smaller and should have a better video recorder.

I really liked the omnia, but I want 5 MP and 30 FPS VGA recording as well on the camera as minimums, plus every other feature on this phone.

My tariff is T mobile Web n Walk max and Flex 35 with a 50% discount - 10 GB limit including modem use to connect any PC to the web, and any combination of 900 minutes or 1800 texts, including MMS and Wifi use fully included in those limits (1 MMS = 5 SMS I think, 10 Gig of Wifi or HSDPA use).

With the discount, I get all that for £28.75 per month =D (normally costs £57.50).

But I'll have to pay full price for my upgrades as a compromise, so a smart phone is going to be expensive, but I want a new shiny toy now. Every time it comes to an upgrade, whether PC or Phone, I turn into an impatient 5 year old child getting his Xmas pressies. So just ignore my ramblings for the next two months untill my upgrade is done.

benko
02-07-2009, 11:40 AM
i have htc dimaond and i love it, i am sure that omnia is also excellent ;)

luie
03-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Omnia is an excellent phone. Very thin, fitting inside the pant pockets nicely without giving you a lump or weighing your pants down. (I had a LG Chocolate before...)
What programs do you have on there?

For me,
Windows Live
Google Map
Viigo
TenGo free

ownage
03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
What didn't you get HTC Diamond? Much better...

HTC Diamond is pure crap.
Omnia is far better, even my LG Renoir is better then all decent priced HTC's.

Scubar
03-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Not as much as a fan of the new touch screen phones. Im waiting for the new Sony Ericsson W995 :D That is the sex

ZOMGVTEK
03-05-2009, 02:31 PM
200MB a month!

I hear most countries dont really have any 'unlimited' data plans without spending some insane amount a month on it...
I abuse my phone into giving me 5-10 GB a month. Silly AT&T.

AnXioZ
03-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Doesn't the Omnia have an OLED screen?

luie
03-06-2009, 12:30 AM
200MB a month!

I hear most countries dont really have any 'unlimited' data plans without spending some insane amount a month on it...
I abuse my phone into giving me 5-10 GB a month. Silly AT&T.

How are you using so much?

Macadamia
03-06-2009, 01:09 AM
Err...

Celcom Malaysia... 10GB 384kb/s, RM68/ 18USD
Singtel Singapore... 50GB 2Mb/s (512kb/s upload), 35 SGD / 22USD

3G was meant for smaller countries. :D

BTW the Omnia is nicer than what I'd thought (very drab in promo screens).

Marvin_The_Martian
03-06-2009, 01:11 AM
I can only use full qwerty phones from now on, so no omnia for me :(

I do like the clarity of the screen, played with it in the store but meh, can't get used to virtual keyboards it's just not the same.

Ownage I wouldn't even swap my 4 year old tytn for an omnia, I need the keyboard :poke:

Touch pro, touch pro hd are in the same price range as an omnia. tytn II is even allot cheaper already and besides the omnia having a much better camera and it being 200mhz faster, it doesn't win anything in features besides the added storage ( which on the tytn II is fixed with having multiple sd cards so again, not a big issue ).

You seem to hate HTC don't you :poke:

kingsl3y what do you actually like about the phone?

Macadamia
03-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Marvin, the keyboard/HD HTCs are way higher than the Omnia when it comes to pricing... granted their screens alone are worth it.

The Omnia 8 retails for about the same (a teeny bit higher) compared to a Diamond (which I just got) here, and while storage gives the win to Omnia, I sync everyday and the VGA screen on the Diamond is awesome for TV shows, just what I needed.

16GB Omnia way undercuts the Pro, don't even mention HD, but the Touch Diamond2 should offer a lot more for a little extra.

Marvin_The_Martian
03-06-2009, 02:16 AM
Marvin, the keyboard/HD HTCs are way higher than the Omnia when it comes to pricing... granted their screens alone are worth it.

The Omnia 8 retails for about the same (a teeny bit higher) compared to a Diamond (which I just got) here, and while storage gives the win to Omnia, I sync everyday and the VGA screen on the Diamond is awesome for TV shows, just what I needed.

16GB Omnia way undercuts the Pro, don't even mention HD, but the Touch Diamond2 should offer a lot more for a little extra.

http://www.pdashop.nl/product/61736/samsung-sgh-i900-omnia-millionaire-pack-black-16-gb.html It's 600e

http://www.pdashop.nl/product/63833/samsung-sgh-i900-omnia-modern-black-8-gb.html It's 450e

http://www.pdashop.nl/product/54046/htc-touch-pro-uk.html It's 570e

And for added comparison http://www.pdashop.nl/product/57975/htc-s740.html It's 400e but lacks touch screen ( which it makes up for with having a full size keyboard imo ).

Think I said to often already that I like keyboards, but all phones above have their pro's and con's so it's really up to the individual.

About the diamond, I would like some of the features it has on my tytn :) But I wouldn't trade it even if my phone isn't even available for sale anymore.

Edit: btw the diamond2 is the same price as the 8gb omnia at that webshop ( which I think has the lowest prices in the Netherlands ). The touch pro is the same price ( 30e less ) then the omnia 16gb.

Frank M
03-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Anyone else have one?

Have one at the workplace.
Nice phone; but the screen could be a bit better and the built-in
virtual keyboard is awful. Too bad they are still selling the old one
around here, while the newer (800*480 screen, and faster cpu IIRC)
is already being sold in Asia...
I'd still prefere htc's, though.

ownage
03-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I can only use full qwerty phones from now on, so no omnia for me :(

I do like the clarity of the screen, played with it in the store but meh, can't get used to virtual keyboards it's just not the same.

Ownage I wouldn't even swap my 4 year old tytn for an omnia, I need the keyboard :poke:

Touch pro, touch pro hd are in the same price range as an omnia. tytn II is even allot cheaper already and besides the omnia having a much better camera and it being 200mhz faster, it doesn't win anything in features besides the added storage ( which on the tytn II is fixed with having multiple sd cards so again, not a big issue ).

You seem to hate HTC don't you :poke:

kingsl3y what do you actually like about the phone?

Never used the omnia myself, but the LG renoir has a very good virtual keyboard. You flip the phone and you get a virtual QWERTY keyboard. My thumbs are really thick, but even then typing is no problem at all. It surprised me allot. The 8mpix camera is really good, and the Renoir is the cheapest of all.

I have nothing against HTC, but I don't like the software problems, and don't want any hassle with firmwares. I heard enough about the Touch Diamond, and in the 15 minutes I used one I had problems with menu and a very unstable network connection.

You really need to test a phone, feel how the phone works and how the keys handle before you buy one. Nokia N96?, didn't like the buttons, camera quality and the phone is damn slow.

Frank M
03-06-2009, 11:59 AM
I have nothing against HTC, but I don't like the software problems, and don't want any hassle with firmwares. I heard enough about the Touch Diamond, and in the 15 minutes I used one I had problems with menu and a very unstable network connection.

That sounds very unlike htc.
Of all the WinMo phones I used, htcs gave me the least trouble.

ZOMGVTEK
03-06-2009, 09:39 PM
How are you using so much?

I wouldn't call a few GB a month that much...

I use 10-100 GB a day at home. The only reason why I dont use more is kinda slow. About 1-2 mbit down, 250-300 kbit up.

It sits there downloading my podcasts, and I stream media to it very often. Once its tethered to a computer is where the real data use starts...

Marvin_The_Martian
03-07-2009, 01:17 AM
Never used the omnia myself, but the LG renoir has a very good virtual keyboard. You flip the phone and you get a virtual QWERTY keyboard. My thumbs are really thick, but even then typing is no problem at all. It surprised me allot. The 8mpix camera is really good, and the Renoir is the cheapest of all.

You really need to test a phone, feel how the phone works and how the keys handle before you buy one. Nokia N96?, didn't like the buttons, camera quality and the phone is damn slow.

That sounds very unlike htc.
Of all the WinMo phones I used, htcs gave me the least trouble.

Actually my ttyn came with wm5 uk, had to flash wm6 nl on it myself and it was easy as pie. After that I got interested in the dark rom's, and currently running Black Satin on it. Just saying, the standard wm apps/tools I do not like as well, but now I really love the interface and functionality ( and it's easier then cooking it together yourself even if the seperate programs are to be found the rom flashing is a one stop fix ).

kingzl3y
03-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Can't believe I posted this and haven't replied.
The Omnia is one of the best phones out. Hands down. The HTC Diamond or Touch don't come close.
Well that's my own opinion. I guess there's also people on the other side (nothing comes close to HTC etc) but my experiences with the Omnia are amazing.
I've de-branded mine from orange. Basically flashed the rom. Unlocked loads of :banana::banana::banana::banana:.
I'll post what apps I have installed later on; gotta go to the hospital ;_;

I wish there was a LASTFM Scrobbler for the "touch player" on the Omnia. It's amazing.
Also used the volume hack; the speaker is louder than the Iphone (Yes have tried it) and louder than most other "Music Phones" etc.

luie
04-23-2009, 04:00 AM
For those who are on Verizon (US carrier), they have a beta ROM and have unlocked the GPS function. Now, we can use Google Map, Live Search, etc and use the GPS. :-)