PDA

View Full Version : Funky Problem with HDTV

Kai Robinson
02-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Okay, now, granted, i shouldn't be having a moan, but, i fished a 32" LCD Flatpanel out of a skip earlier today, and it works, for the most part, but, lemme explain...

Now, this thing has one or two very minor scuffs on it, not a problem. However, when using the HDMI to my PS3, its 95% perfectly fine - no panel problems at all, just every minute or so, the screen will kind of flicker, for a split second, and be normal again.

When using the SCART to my Satellite reciever, the audio is A-OK but the flickering is constant, as though its an old analogue TV thats not been tuned right, tilting the unit forward makes a 'klunk' noise and the flickering changes into vertical blurring.

I'm pretty sure that the panel itself is fine, and it's an issue with the electronics inside.

I studied Electronics at School, upto A-Level, i've got multimeters and tools, soldering irons and the like - BUT is this worth repairing, in order to save £500 on a new telly?

Incidentally, the model of the TV is thus;

Manufacturer: DUAL
Model: DLCD3221
Size: 32"

Any idea where i can get either a) schematics* or b) replacement parts?

* - Manuals in the 1980's used to actually come with the schematic diagram for the thing, now they barely say 'plug it in' - grr!

autobot
02-01-2009, 08:03 PM
If it klunks when you move it, its got a board loose inside which means you most likely have a connection or two loose as well. Open that puppy up and take a peek inside! Oh...and snap some pics while your at it.

dengyong
02-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Have a crack at it and post some pics.

Kai Robinson
02-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Until i do it tomorrow - i smacked it and it seems fine for the moment :D

Zytek_Fan
02-01-2009, 10:22 PM
You found it? Someone was just throwing it away? :confused:

Serpentarius
02-01-2009, 10:42 PM
klunking sound means.. there some wire is at end of snapping point ... then power arent flowing enough ...

gluck tracing it ...

Kai Robinson
02-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Yep - was poking out of a skip. Someone had tossed it.

I've got the back off it and the signal PCB out, along with my soldering iron - there are a LOAD of dry joints on this PCB, some loose ones.

I'll upload pictures a little later, right now, i'm set on fixing it before my eyes go wonky.

Jamesrt2004
02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
lucky find my friend :)

tiro_uspsss
02-02-2009, 02:27 AM
Until i do it tomorrow - i smacked it and it seems fine for the moment :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl: "WHY U POS *WHACK* ahhh, thats better!" :rofl:

Kai Robinson
02-02-2009, 04:49 AM
LOL - percussive maintenance does indeed work! :)

In any case, it's been properly fixed now - the main issue was the loose capacitor on the Power PCB. Turns out, from the internal markings on the PCB's, it's actually a re-badged Hitachi set.

Here are the two PCB's i resoldered, along with a view of the innards of the telly. Not much to it, really...

Jamesrt2004
02-02-2009, 07:37 AM
nice job, saves you a bit of money :)

Kai Robinson
02-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Yep - been working flawlessly for 12 hours now :)

dengyong
02-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Good job.

Kai Robinson
02-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I wanna go buy other faulty HDTV's (not with smashed screens) and make money off repairing and selling them now :D