PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't boot, PLEASE HELP

synnyster
08-03-2002, 08:31 PM
I was just playing warcraft3 when suddenly my computer crashed and wouldn't boot back up. Does anyone know what the problem would be???? I can power up but the monitor just sits there with nothing coming onto the screen. I thought it might be the video card but I tried the vid card on another machine and it worked. Could it be the processor or RAM? Someone please help. I don't think it is the motherboard because the computer powers up and the fact that this is a new motherboard.

AMD2000+
Gigabyte GA-7VRX
256DDR Ram
Microsoft XP Pro

Someone please help. Thanks.

TheDude
08-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Did you just change any overclocking settings? Try unplugging the PS and clearing the CMOS. Does the fan on HS still work? Can you get into the bios at all? Good connection between HS and CPU? Did you use thermal grease? Do you know your temps? Is everything seated good?
How long has your rig been up and running? Any beeps? Give us as much info as you can. Did you make any changes to anything just before this happened?

synnyster
08-03-2002, 09:20 PM
I had the FSB upped to 140 from 133 which translates to 1.67Ghz to 1.75Ghz. It was running fine until I fried mobo a month ago. I just got a replacement mobo yesterday. Everything was running fine. It all happened when I played WC3. It had crashed earlier when I played WC3, went to desktop with some error in mem I think. I rebooted and started playing again and that is when it crashed without booting up again. My temps are good, not great though. My CPU temp was at 48C and sys temp was around 36C. Nothing that would overheat anything. I use Arctic Silver 3 on a thermaltake volcano 7. I can't get the bios or anything. It just powers up but the monitor sits there just black. All fans are running. HD lights up on case. CDROM works when I push eject. Seems like nothing is shooting to the monitor. But I know it isn't booting.

IFMU
08-03-2002, 09:28 PM
Something to check is to see if your PSU went out. Kinda way it sounds to me. Ive had the same problem here with a PSU my brother killed. I was unaware for some time and its the only possiblity since it is the only part that wont work on numerous attempts and parts.

Kinda makes me think the same. Its possible it just strained it slightly too much and killed it.

Just a thought to test out.

synnyster
08-03-2002, 09:34 PM
I doubt it is the PSU. My PSU is about a month old and is 425watts AMD approved L&C. Everything powers up, it just won't boot. There is power there.

IFMU
08-03-2002, 10:03 PM
Well as I said, I was going through the exact same thing. There was power, fans spinning, lights turning on, everything seemed normal. After testing everything in the system, it was the only thing that wasnt checking out.

And just due to it being new, doesnt mean much.

Im not saying that is your problem, but its worth checking out.

synnyster
08-04-2002, 07:16 AM
I just tried another power supply. Same thing happens, everything turns on but no post. I'm starting to think that maybe it is the RAM. Because before my computer crashed permanently, it had some error in RAM while playing WC3 right before and I had to reboot. I'm stumped, and I'm frustrated. I had just gotten this motherboard BACK from vendor as a replacement I sent 2 weeks ago.

flounder43
08-04-2002, 11:16 AM
After ruling out the psu, vid card, and resetting the cmos, I would think that you are dealing with either bad ram, or something fried on your mobo, although I think that is less likely. Try some different RAM.

Sometimes, you just have to check each component, one by one, to isolate the problem.

synnyster
08-04-2002, 02:31 PM
Yeah, my friend is coming tonight with a stick of RAM and a TBird. Hopefully, it is the RAM and not the chip.

synnyster
08-05-2002, 07:57 AM
Checked the RAM last night, it is NOT the RAM. I put the FSB jumper from 133Mhz to 100Mhz and low and behold it would boot! But, it won't go into windows, just gives me blue screen error. If I try to go into safe mode, it says I have a corrupted window config file. It tells me to repair XP with my install disc. So when I boot from CD and it starts loading up the XP stuff to start repair, it just freezes. Everytime I've tried it, it freezes in the Windows XP installation. It seems the CDROM just stops reading or something. But this is a brand new CDRW. I tried a CDROM and it still doesn't work. I have friggin had it with this.