PDA

View Full Version : How to clean copper and nickle plated copper?

Utnorris
01-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Ok, so I have a couple blocks that are tarnished and need to be cleaned. On the copper blocks, can I just use something like Brasso? What do I clean nickle plating with?
Thanks,
Utnorris

anzial
01-30-2009, 11:08 PM
on copper, you can use ketchup, it contains acids that clean the tarnish right off copper

Utnorris
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the info. Any ideas on the Nickel?
Thanks.

aspire.comptech
01-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Nickel doesn't tarnish as far as I'm aware...

I would try cleaning that with ketchup as well. It won't hurt it...

T_Flight
01-30-2009, 11:16 PM
On the Copper you can also use TarnX. It's a little stinky though...kinda smells like rotten farts. :ROTF: It seriously does though.

On the nickel, I;d just shine it up with a damp rag, and then go back with a dry one. Nickel should not tarnish. I assume you are talking fingerprints on the nickel.

Utnorris
01-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Well the inside of my Koolance block is definitely discolored, almost burnt looking, so I wanted to clean it before selling it off. Thought about using vinegar but wasn't sure how well that would work.

Utnorris
01-30-2009, 11:18 PM
I will post a pic in a little bit so you guys can see what I am talking about. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Utnorris
01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
This is what I am talking about:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8379/img1673gp9.th.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1673gp9.jpg)

Any ideas?

theseeker
01-31-2009, 11:17 AM
I would try vinegar, that looks pretty dirty.

pwolfe
01-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Just out of curiosity, what were you running through the loop? That looks excessively dirty to me for just distilled water?

Waterlogged
01-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Sadly, that's a perfectly normal reaction for the Koolance gunmetal nickel. I had the same thing happen to my DDC top (yes, the aluminum one). I cleaned it with Eagle One-A2Z All Wheel Cleaner (http://www.eagleone.com/pages/products/product.asp?itemid=1003&cat=5006). It removed all the "burn" marks and lightened the color of the plating just a bit. That may not happen to you if you decide to try it because it seems they completely changed the formula as it's now "acid free", whereas the bottle I have says it has Hydroxacetic Acid (79-14-1), Oxaxlic Acid (144-62-7), 2-Butoxyethanol(111-76-2).

Utnorris
01-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, what were you running through the loop? That looks excessively dirty to me for just distilled water?

Supposedly, it was just put in a loop for testing, at least that is what I was told by the guy I bought it off of. I usually clean my blocks up before sending them out, personal pride and I want a happy customer, but that's just me, this block was not cleaned as you can see and what you can't see is the blue goop like syrup stuff that was on the inside of the block when I pulled it apart. Anyway, waterlogged I will try your suggestion for the Koolance block. Got my copper blocks all nice and clean now, look almost new :D.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

headala
01-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Man, I had something like that inside my blocks when I used Aquacomputer Bluemotion dye. That stuff was BAD news, especially since I didn't know enough to do a good initial cleaning of my blocks and rad.

Utnorris
02-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Just an FYI, Brasso works great on Nickel plating too. Cleaned the discoloration right off.
Thanks again for all the help.

StAndrew
02-07-2009, 10:09 AM
On the Copper you can also use TarnX. It's a little stinky though...kinda smells like rotten farts. :ROTF: It seriously does though.

On the nickel, I;d just shine it up with a damp rag, and then go back with a dry one. Nickel should not tarnish. I assume you are talking fingerprints on the nickel.

Careful of TarnX. If you dont clean it right after dipping it, your copper is very soft and will corrode very quickly in the air. I usually go from a quick dip in TarnX straight to rubbing alcohol to clean, then systematically dry off with a paper towel (every square inch).

Humminn55
02-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Ketchup.......man, I've been doing it the hard way, firing up the ultrasonic cleaner and running used parts in it until they shine. Ketchup....gotta be cheaper than the elect. I use.

Glyph
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
vinegar and salt is effective at removing tarnish from copper. But you'll have to wash it out thoroughly afterward, or continued action will start etching your copper.

Utnorris
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah, ketchup works, but the Brasso was quick and yes, you do clean it up afterwards, I use alcohol. Also, i do not dip it in the stuff, I put in on a rag and rub it on. Very quick and simple.

StAndrew
02-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Doesnt brasso leave a coating on the metal?

Utnorris
02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Hence is why you clean it up afterwards.

PrometheusCon
02-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I've got a few tarnished blocks... ketchup eh?

*looks in fridge*

Stoaway
02-07-2009, 07:28 PM
What ever you decide I might suggest a test on another copper item. Especially if your going to sell it. A penny maybe although I'm not sure how much copper is in a penny these days. To see what the end result is. Some acids will change the color of the surface.

Linux_Box
02-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Ketchup is the best I've found. I've tried a few others items mentioned but they didn't help as much. Definitely clean with distilled water thoroughly before using in your systems.

StAndrew
02-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Hence is why you clean it up afterwards.

How do you remove the layer from brasso? I got plenty of the stuff and this will help me loads in the future :).

nikhsub1
02-08-2009, 10:32 AM
On the Copper you can also use TarnX. It's a little stinky though...kinda smells like rotten farts. :ROTF:
Yeah TarnX stinks like utter rhino dung, but I've never seen anything clean silver/copper/brass like it.

Utnorris
02-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Hot water and soap with a scrub brush. Rinse with distilled water. Then towel dry. Then I used alcohol to wipe the block and make sure it was squeeky clean. If it isn't, I start over and do it until it is. Or use Artic Silver cleaner 2 then 1 and make sure all the Brasso is off. Both work well. The thibg to be careful about is that you do not want to finger F**k it again and cause it to tarnish all over again.

StAndrew
02-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the tip :). I never liked TarnX as it make the copper too soft, usually causing it to corrode worse than before if your not careful.

Fortunately, I dont really have a fetish for fingering my comp but I guess Im not extreme enough yet :D...