PDA

View Full Version : Anyone speak router?

wdwacker
10-28-2003, 03:58 PM
Okay, so here's the situation. I'm in a CCNA class and the teacher wants me to set up an access list to block all the sites except the Cisco.netacad.net site. He gets me and my lab partner to take two workstations and hook them up to a switch. The switch is hooked into ethernet 1 on a Cisco 2500 router. Ethernet 2 is hooked into the schools network. The problem is that the hosts can't ping the schools router... they can ping their interface on the router and can ping the interface that is hooked up to the schools network. The router (local) can ping the school's router and using the show cdp neighbors command shows the adjacent switch (also Cisco) but the school's router is hidden by the switch. The hostname of the local router is Lab A, the adjacent switch is Edisonhs ER505, the school's router's interface is 151.188.0.0 with mask of 255.255.0.0. The network that was setup with the hosts is 178.10.0.0 with mask of 255.255.0.0. I have checked everything that I can think of, router rip is enabled on both networks and I have wiped and re-programed the local router once already. Any help would be greatly appreciated, so I don't end up tossing the router out a second story window.......

wdwacker
10-29-2003, 04:00 AM
Anyone?

wdwacker
10-29-2003, 08:36 AM
The problem was at the other router. It was setup so that only the external network had router rip and the internal network didn't

NWEng
10-29-2003, 08:42 AM
wdwacker, let me know if you have any problems. I'm a Sr. NetEng with my CCNP plus experience. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

:cool:

wdwacker
10-29-2003, 01:01 PM
we used a 2600 instead of a 2500 and it sill wouldn't work, the teacher myself and lab partner are all stumped as to how they could do this. We are going to set up a Linux rig and use it as a router to see if that would solve the problem. If you have any ideas please let me know.

NWEng
10-29-2003, 01:30 PM
This sounds like a fairly basic routing issue from what you've provided. Are you advertising the 178.10 net (and of course the 151.188) in your RIP in the local router? Does the school router have an entry for the 178.10 in it's routing table? (Show ip route 178.10.0.0) The local router should already have an entry for the 151.188 net since it's directly connected.

Are the hosts config'd to use the 178.10.0.0 int on the local router as their default GW?

:cool:

wdwacker
10-29-2003, 03:58 PM
The local hosts use the 178.10.0.0 network as .2 and .3, the int on the router E0/1 is .1 and the hosts have that set as their gateways. The local router has rip, igrp, and eigrp entries for both the 178.10 and 151.188 networks. Their are three routers in the school. The router with the network 151.188 ( also the gateway for the school), one with a network of 10.2.0.0 and one other I can't rember. All three of these routers are setup by the counties techs, the local admin dose not even configure the router. We can use the cdp neighbors but it only comes back as the switch that the router (gateway) is connected to. We cannot trace route to that router and do not know what the config is. The teacher is going to contact the county to get the config but something is wierd with this, this is why we are going to try the Linux router. Thanks for all the help NWEng, any other thoughts are appreciated.