PDA

View Full Version : Why is TJ-07 so effing expansive?

exe163
01-22-2009, 02:24 PM
I go to the worklog section over 1/3 of the builds are TJ07. First I thought it was a great midtower WC case with a good price tag, but one day I checked the price. $350. And I thought MM cases are expansive. What makes this case so special besides with a lot of interchangeable parts?

PS: One reason I lurk around XS because it is filled with rich folks, another is people here are so friendly and helpful, it's scary :eek:.

Thanks XS, best forum for the elites, can't imagine what my water cooling system look like without it :up:.

Metric
01-22-2009, 03:22 PM
I go to the worklog section over 1/3 of the builds are TJ07. First I thought it was a great midtower WC case with a good price tag, but one day I checked the price. $350. And I thought MM cases are expansive. What makes this case so special besides with a lot of interchangeable parts?

PS: One reason I lurk around XS because it is filled with rich folks, another is people here are so friendly and helpful, it's scary :eek:.

Thanks XS, best forum for the elites, can't imagine what my water cooling system look like without it :up:.

Some reasons I'd imagine is the entire body is a single piece of fabricated aluminum and the overall build quality of the parts.

soulesschild
01-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Some reasons I'd imagine is the entire body is a single piece of fabricated aluminum and the overall build quality of the parts.

This.

They also cut it specifically so it's no rough edges I believe?

Sly Fox
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
It's not that bad if you consider what you're getting.

You probably paid $500 or so for that 4870X2. Sure it gives you better framerates in games, which is huge. But a case gives you aesthetic appeal
and protects your other investments.

MM, Lian Li, Silverstone, they all offer exceptional quality in both material and labor. How well things are cut and put together has a big effect on the
final product imo.

Specifically for watercooling, people tend to gravitate towards those brands and ones like them because they lend themselves well to a loop.
Often having a more spacious interior with a more efficient layout.

Truthfully though, I usually skimped on the case times past simply to put more budget towards "performance" oriented parts. And I think most do.
But, if the money is available a nice spacious case with top quality craftsmanship can be both attractive and helpful.

aspire.comptech
01-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Well the main reason it's so expansive is due in part to the physical size of the case, as well as it's well thought out design and layout.

justin150
01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Premium case = premium price. It is good, particularly unibody design. But it could be a lot better. How many cases do you know that are cheaper that can take 2x240 + 1x360 rads without significant modding

Bojamijams
01-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Thing is, once you have this, you're not going to need another for a decade. Minimum. If it can't fit in that, its too big to be useful.

theseeker
01-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Its the Panzer (Tiger) of PC cases. It is extremely well made and you have plenty of room and configuration options available. The overall quality is exceptional. In the past I used the high end LL cases but I believe the 07 is the best case I have ever used and this is my third one. I have not owned a MM but obviously they have a good reputation.

aspire.comptech
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Well the main reason it's so expansive is due in part to the physical size of the case, as well as it's well thought out design and layout.

Nobody got the joke...

anzial
01-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Nobody got the joke...

'cause they don't know how to spell? :rofl:

exe163
01-22-2009, 04:00 PM
It's not that bad if you consider what you're getting.

You probably paid $500 or so for that 4870X2. Sure it gives you better framerates in games, which is huge. But a case gives you aesthetic appeal
and protects your other investments.

Just FYI, I backed out on it but too lazy to update my sig :p:.

While we are at it, I would like to gather some info of well builded WCable case that is UP TO DATE. For one, my Armor is not. I don't have enough money to build another computer for at least two years (while upgrading my system from time to time). Just wanted to gather some info on good computer cases at this status quo.

Some common cases:

TJ-07
MM - everything

Eddie3dfx
01-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Exe, turn your pm's on, I want to email you something of interest.

exe163
01-22-2009, 04:09 PM
"You have 89 messages stored, of a total 500 allowed. (Empty Folder)"

Also anyone have a TT armor right side panel that they will not use? I am mighty interested in getting one.

soulesschild
01-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Atcs 840 :)

brinox
01-22-2009, 04:52 PM
i just moved from a TJ07 to a MM pinnacle 18, and am MUCH more happy with my money spent on the MM pinnacle. that tower was designed for the WC'er in mind and its really a no-brainer IMO.

the TJ07 is huge and gives you lots of room to work with. its also very rugged. you can stand on the aluminum unibody and do very little damage/bend to it.

the problem with the TJ07 is they are all hand crafted (mostly) and no single TJ07 is exactly the same as the next. that hand-crafting is where the majority of the cost premium comes from. the next is the siding and other oddities screwed into the case 'set' into a final resting position, which may not fall directly in line with the screw holes. at least for me it doesnt. continuing, for the WC'er in mind, there is no specific way to mount a radiator in the bottom from the factory. one must create his or her own mounting brackets and stuff. another point is it is (sometimes) very difficult to mount a cooling loop that is assembled outside the case, without dremeling part of the separator midplate so that you can fit stuff through it. on that note there is no crossbar joints on the pinnacle 18/24 so its rather simple to dryloop your system and then check for leaks without it being mounted inside the case.

if you had the choice between the TJ07 and the Pinnacle 18/24 (for example) i would opt for the Pinnacle. its much more future proof (many upgradeable and interchangeable parts) and will save you a bunch of hassle in the long run, say when it comes time to reloop.

like i said i have owned both and the Pinnacle 18 is mounds of fresh air for the avid WC'er

safan80
01-22-2009, 04:53 PM
you guys wouldn't like my P180 I just cut a hole in the top and put a radiator there and then I stuck the second pa120.3 perpendicular to it in the middle hard drive bay.

warriorpoet
01-22-2009, 05:36 PM
you guys wouldn't like my P180 I just cut a hole in the top and put a radiator there and then I stuck the second pa120.3 perpendicular to it in the middle hard drive bay.Pics. Now.

theseeker
01-22-2009, 05:50 PM
i just moved from a TJ07 to a MM pinnacle 18, and am MUCH more happy with my money spent on the MM pinnacle. that tower was designed for the WC'er in mind and its really a no-brainer IMO.

the TJ07 is huge and gives you lots of room to work with. its also very rugged. you can stand on the aluminum unibody and do very little damage/bend to it.

the problem with the TJ07 is they are all hand crafted (mostly) and no single TJ07 is exactly the same as the next. that hand-crafting is where the majority of the cost premium comes from. the next is the siding and other oddities screwed into the case 'set' into a final resting position, which may not fall directly in line with the screw holes. at least for me it doesnt. continuing, for the WC'er in mind, there is no specific way to mount a radiator in the bottom from the factory. one must create his or her own mounting brackets and stuff. another point is it is (sometimes) very difficult to mount a cooling loop that is assembled outside the case, without dremeling part of the separator midplate so that you can fit stuff through it. on that note there is no crossbar joints on the pinnacle 18/24 so its rather simple to dryloop your system and then check for leaks without it being mounted inside the case.

if you had the choice between the TJ07 and the Pinnacle 18/24 (for example) i would opt for the Pinnacle. its much more future proof (many upgradeable and interchangeable parts) and will save you a bunch of hassle in the long run, say when it comes time to reloop.

like i said i have owned both and the Pinnacle 18 is mounds of fresh air for the avid WC'er

The external fan grills are not very easy on the eye.

hellcamino
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM

I agree. The thing I like least about MM cases is in some ways probably stupid to most people. There is no creativity required, it's all there for you to just bolt your parts into and be done with it. The thing I like the most about looking at people's liquid cooled pc's is the ingenuity that goes into fitting a GTX 560 in the bottom of that Lian Li AND making it look/perform good! I enjoy having something that I built using only my own creativity and a design that is all my own. I've been considering building my own case for the same reasons, a cookie cutter lcs just isn't for me. The modding is at least half of the fun and particularly so when someone else looks at the case you are using and then turns to you and says "it can't be done".

Serpentarius
01-22-2009, 05:59 PM
heavy profit
the alu price has been drastically dropped .. despite it, SS price seems to retain

exe163
01-22-2009, 06:34 PM

+1, MM cases are not very eye candy in general, but this also create interest in making it look good. Each has his/her own opinion. I think MM cases and Silverstone cases are delivering opposite end of quality: function vs look. One can have both with modding.

theseeker
01-22-2009, 07:03 PM
+1, MM cases are not very eye candy in general, but this also create interest in making it look good. Each has his/her own opinion. I think MM cases and Silverstone cases are delivering opposite end of quality: function vs look. One can have both with modding.

I agree. Then look at what Charles has done with the 07 and you begin to realize the possibilities are endless. IMO, the case should not be the focal point.
Great paintings have a complimentary frame but you focus on the canvas, not on the frame. The internals are the canvas and the case is the frame.

As usual...just my 2 cents.

PS, did you mean expensive or expansive?

warriorpoet
01-22-2009, 07:12 PM

I gotta tell ya, man. I think those MM towers are just about the hottest thing I've ever seen. I really dig that simple, industrial look. The cubes, on the other hand...

[XC] gomeler
01-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Nobody got the joke...

Just dropped into this thread. I read the thread title and thought "why would someone complain about a roomy case".

Utnorris
01-22-2009, 07:21 PM
The only reason I went with my MM case is because there are not any horizontal MB mounted cases that can do water. Sunbeam and DD make one, but for a little more my MM case can easily fit everything I could ever want.

MrBean
01-22-2009, 07:21 PM
We at XS luv expansive systems, gives us so much more room to fit all our goodies in :)

Expensive though, that's something we don't like - good quality yes, but at an affordable price.....hehe

Eddie3dfx
01-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I have never seen the silverstone in person, but I can tell you for a fact that the lian li's aluminum is far too thin. I'd love to see a nice 4-5mm aluminum shell like the ZALMAN Z-MACHINE.
That piece is $399, but there is a reason why.
I think mountain mods is also only 1.6mm thick as well.

nzbleach
01-22-2009, 07:35 PM
The TJ-07 was built to be effing expansive.

skinnee
01-22-2009, 08:08 PM
The anodizing on an MountainMod does not compare to the Silverstone. You need to see both of them in person to truly see the difference and the Silverstone anodizing wins hands down. Now with that said, the MurderMod anodizing is on another level, nothing that I have ever seen can compare to the top quality anodizing job that MurderMod has.

And yes, I own a MountainMod Ascension.

T_Flight
01-22-2009, 08:53 PM
The reason I went with my MM case is becasue it's the last one I will ever have to buy. I've bought cases and cases before, but I'll never have to buy another one, and that is priceless. There is nothing I cannot mount in that thing easily. I can do any kind of artwork to it I want, and am gonna paint it with a Automtive Paint Gloss black finish. I can add any number of countless 1000's of different parts for them. If they ever come out with a new standard like ATX is now all I'll ever have to do is swap out the mobo tray which is modular. I can replace any panel with anything I would ever want...even custom. I could even add another complete Ascension to the bottom of it and setup multiple self contained rigs. I could add a pedestool to it and have all my rads remotely mounted.

It has room for any setup that any person could dream of. It is the biggest case I'm aware of. The quality is first rate. The laser cutting is done ona machine that cost over 50,000 dollars and those cuts are dead nuts precise.

The Acryllic is the best I ahve ever seen. It look JUST like glass. You cannot tell it is not glass. There is no distortion in the Acryllic at all. It has a mirror finish on the Acryllic.

Mine was the brushed version becasue I wanted to paint mine. You can get them in brushed, anodized, and powder coated, and some come in colors too. He will do custom work and make practically anything you'd ever want or need also. I like having that level of backing on an investment like that. With a lifetime buy like I made I could not be more satisfied.

Another thing I like is it's made right here in my own Country. Something there isn't much left of anymore, but I'm still hanging on trying to support the winners who work everyday still trying to make it. There's a Salute for ya Mountain Mods!

Not a fanboy, just avery satisfied customer. :yepp:

Spankyfart
01-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Nobody got the joke...

I just woke up and was thinking exactly that.

orangekiwii
01-22-2009, 09:14 PM
my computer is in a high traffic area of the house and having an ugly case just won't do

So I went with the tj07

i can tell you one thing though

its epic compared to my old nzxt zero which i thought was epic when i first got it from a standard cramped mid tower

2 epics in a row make it... well

EPIC!!

also if they ever do come out with another standard that phsycially (dimensions and stuff not screwholes) fit into todays modern chasis...

hopefully silverstone will be of a high enough caliber to allow customers to just buy a new mobo tray

Spankyfart
01-22-2009, 09:18 PM
2 epics in a row make it... well

EPIC!!

Also, it can invade Poland.

PaRn ssR
01-22-2009, 10:47 PM
TJ07 or MM U2-UFO is great for air and WC case

Nemon
01-22-2009, 11:54 PM
The reason I went with my MM case is because it's the last one I will ever have to buy. I've bought cases and cases before, but I'll never have to buy another one, and that is priceless. There is nothing I cannot mount in that thing easily. I can do any kind of artwork to it I want, and am gonna paint it with a Automotive Paint Gloss black finish. I can add any number of countless 1000's of different parts for them. If they ever come out with a new standard like ATX is now all I'll ever have to do is swap out the mobo tray which is modular. I can replace any panel with anything I would ever want...even custom. I could even add another complete Ascension to the bottom of it and setup multiple self contained rigs. I could add a pedestool to it and have all my rads remotely mounted.

It has room for any setup that any person could dream of. It is the biggest case I'm aware of. The quality is first rate. The laser cutting is done ona machine that cost over 50,000 dollars and those cuts are dead nuts precise.

The Acryllic is the best I ahve ever seen. It look JUST like glass. You cannot tell it is not glass. There is no distortion in the Acryllic at all. It has a mirror finish on the Acryllic.

Mine was the brushed version becasue I wanted to paint mine. You can get them in brushed, anodized, and powder coated, and some come in colors too. He will do custom work and make practically anything you'd ever want or need also. I like having that level of backing on an investment like that. With a lifetime buy like I made I could not be more satisfied.

Another thing I like is it's made right here in my own Country. Something there isn't much left of anymore, but I'm still hanging on trying to support the winners who work everyday still trying to make it. There's a Salute for ya Mountain Mods!

Not a fanboy, just avery satisfied customer. :yepp:

+1 , same goes for me.

the last case lasted me 7 years. It was a Thermaltake Xaser V1000 that I still have and modded with 5 120mm fans
and built a pc for my bother when i was building my MM Pinnacle 24 build.

I did buy a HAF 932, but when i saw the Pinnacle 24, first thoughts were long term investment.

So now i just need to sell my HAF932 for half what i paid and i will be happy LOL

exe163
01-23-2009, 04:21 AM
The reason I went with my MM case is because it's the last one I will ever have to buy.

Sadly

English is the language I never gets ><. I speak Asian btw.

warriorpoet
01-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Also, it can invade Poland.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rise
01-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Nobody got the joke...

Right there with ya... :rofl:

begrip
01-23-2009, 07:51 AM
Well back in the days i was on lan partys and such, but now when i got the TJ-07 its to damn heavy ...

Xello
01-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Yeah the is NOT a case to get if you like LANs... With all components inside mine weighs a :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing ton.

The reasons it's so popular are pretty obvious though and have been mostly stated here :up:

lyl
01-23-2009, 08:27 AM
gomeler;3597450']Just dropped into this thread. I read the thread title and thought "why would someone complain about a roomy case".

Me too, but I imagined the OP with a thick country accent. :P

I blame Charles' work for making the TJ07 stay the same price haha... Im sure lots of people were inspired and got it after seeing its potential! I know i was... i just held off on the buying part

Im waiting for the day i find one on a FS/T forum

N3it1
01-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Nobody got the joke...

I did get the joke but after that i checked what the person wrote who made this thread. After i noticed he truly wrote expansive i and checked his location which is US, i got horrified by the grammar and forgot the joke. My bad.

NaeKuh
01-23-2009, 11:12 AM
This post is too funny.

Fin Benz Mclaren F1... why is it too expensive?

Your asking the same thing...

silverstone = Lian Li > Cooler Master > Rosewell.

Your loooking at the luxury cases in our hobby, so yeah a price tag comes with it.