PDA

View Full Version : My new watercooling project. What you think?

Paul.K
08-03-2002, 11:42 AM
Hi all,

Just completed ordering all my stuff for my watercooling project. Most of the stuff was bought from Dangerden. The kit includes the following:

Maze 3-1 CPU waterblock (Optional copper plate if I want pelt cooling)
Northbridge Z block also from Dangerden
GF4 Waterblock from Dangerden
10 Feet of Tygon Tubing
Gold 24K Ice Extreme Radiator (Free upgrade from BIE thanks DD)
Eheim 1250 pump
12 ounces of Waterwetter

Now I have also bought the new Reservoir from Innovatek ie Tank-O-Matic which holds 280ml of water. If you havent seen it yet ! here's a url for it here (http://www.innovatek.de/sites/tankomatic.htm)

Now I am going to be firstly placing the blocks in series:

res --- pump---radiator---cpu----gpu---northbridge

I am going to be placing the radiator on the floor of the case near the front with papst 120mm intake fans on either side of the radiator. The pump will also be on the floor of the case, sitting on a bed of insulating material to dampen any noise emitting from the pump. Now the cool looking reservoir will be clamp onto the back inside or outside of the case (havent decided yet) making sure its the highest point in the case. All this will be in a full Antec performance series computer case. Now guys what you think of this setup???

Any suggestions would be nice...

I'll be building this beauty next weekend..

Paul.K

Silversink
08-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Looks to be a very nice setup. I was going to ask why the need for a resevoir until I clicked the linkage. (Thats a sweet resevoir, but the only thing is the fitting size. If my German is right thats 1/4" )

IFMU
08-04-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Silversink
Looks to be a very nice setup. I was going to ask why the need for a resevoir until I clicked the linkage. (Thats a sweet resevoir, but the only thing is the fitting size. If my German is right thats 1/4" )

I was thinkin the same there SS. Then I took the link! LoL

That is a nice lil res there. Not so much a res as a ... er.. hmm.... whats it called? ack... lol.......... ah hell I cant think of it.. its been a very s__tty day for me today... want to go to sleep and just start it over.... heh

Nice setup there. Lets see some pics once youve got it all together!

SponGeBoB
08-04-2002, 09:44 PM
Sounds nice!

Hope it all works out and remember to take lots of pics for us all :D

Paul.K
08-05-2002, 02:25 AM
Hey guys,

I will post a few pics of the new setup once I start building. The fittings on the reservoir are indeed 8mm internal diameter, the only size that Innovatek do I'm afraid. :mad: Anyway my system as 3/8 inch fittings so the Res will be perfect for it.

Paul..

TheDude
08-05-2002, 03:51 AM
I really like that exterior mounted tube shaped tank!
I like to mount my radiators on the top outside case with 2 120mm fans in top of case blowing thru the radiator...seems to get rid of the heat very well. I like the tank on the outside like that for the same reason...you could have an exhaust fan blowing out of the case over the tank to help move heat away from it as well. Post some pics when you can!

Paul.K
08-05-2002, 04:04 AM
TheDude,

I was thinking of something similar myself to cooling down the reservoir a little since my setup will be:

res--pump--cpu--gpu--nb--rad

Therefore giving the highest flowrate through the blocks and the lowest flowrate through the rad.

Paul..

PS I'll post some pics when I can lads...

Tweaked!
08-05-2002, 04:05 AM
It looks like a sweeet layout, that res is cool! Like the others said, post some pics... :)

Paul.K
08-05-2002, 04:07 AM
:toast: will do!!:D :D

RichBa5tard
08-05-2002, 06:39 AM
I bought a similar reservoir a while ago, those things are pretty and easy to fill. Nice choice! Looking forward to some pics! :)

http://users.pandora.be/colarjo/res.jpg

TheDude
08-05-2002, 07:06 AM
Paul.k,

Yeah..I have noticed that my metal tank inside the case seems to radiate a lot of heat after it warms up, so I have used a fan to try to blow the heat out of the case. Being on the outside like that should help a lot.

Paul.K
08-05-2002, 09:40 AM
The great thing about this res. is I can install it inside or outside the case (full Antec Performance Series Case). Of course I will install this res on the outside and make sure its at the highest point in my system for easy of ventilation and filling. All i need to do now is borrow my bro's digital camera and take some pics of the system components before and after installation.

Keep tuned guys,

Will post an update this week!!!

Paul..

sysfailur
08-07-2002, 08:14 PM
Yes, I must see pics!!! Pics are a must! :)

dmitriyaz
08-07-2002, 08:30 PM
guys, i just thought of something:
why always CPU-->GPU-->NB?
water goes to cpu, heats up, then hot water goes to the GPU (barely doing anything), then its really hot after the GPU, it moves into the NB, sometimes actually HEATING it.
now my version:
NB-->GPU-->CPU.
cold water goes into north bridge, BARELY heats up, then (still cold) water goes to GPU. GPU doesnt produce much heat anyway, so the water (still kinda warm) goes into the CPU. after that, its really heats up and goes straight to the rad.
sure your CPU temp. will be 1-2 degrees higher, but your GPU & NB temps will drop a whole bunch!
...no?

Paul.K
08-08-2002, 10:16 AM
Hi guys,

A small update. Just received my Innovatek Tank-O-Matic in the post today. All I have to say is OMG. Just opening the packaging to see such high quality Reservoir. This thing is great. Sorry for no pics of it, but I hope to have some soon. The rest of my watercooling setup is taken longer than expected. The stuff was shipped last Thursday from the US. Hope the f*** it gets to me tomorrow, otherwise I have to wait another few days....

Anyway I'll keep you posted guys,

Paul..

PS Time to do a few mods to the Antec case....

morphling1
08-09-2002, 03:04 AM
dmitriyaz, why do you think that the water coming from cpu block is hot? With high flow rate the difference between inlet and outlet negligible. 0.1°C in my case where I put thermocouple on inlet and outlet. So it doesn't matter realy how you go but looking in my system it's easyer to go cpu, graphic, nb, pump, rad.

dmitriyaz
08-09-2002, 11:48 AM
the difference is as small as 0.1 degree? :eek:
what type of pump are you using?

morphling1
08-09-2002, 11:56 AM
I sold Eheim model 1250 and bought two Maxy Jets 1000 for less money, they are connected in serial so that I get double head. Flow rate is now better than before, plus even combined they take a lot less space then Eheim. But even with Eheim the difference was way bellow 1 degree.

dmitriyaz
08-09-2002, 12:12 PM
i see...
before i get my phase-change cooled main rig,
i am making a completely watercooled silent computer, to use as a 24/7 folding rig/server.
in will have watercooled CPU/GPU/NB, along with watercooled PSU MOSFETs and insulated (for quietness) and watercooled harddrive, or maybe a RAID array.
also, i will be using a very quiet fan on the heater core, most likely panaplo 120mm, about 70cfm.
do you think that with so many blocks and heat sources i will still get negligible T delta between inlet and outlet?
also, i am thinking on putting a 80w pelt (powered by the main PSU) on my video card, that would increase the delta T for sure, right?

morphling1
08-09-2002, 12:42 PM
You see, delta T in block itself is very dependand on water flow velocity, You can calculate easily your aproximate delta T= heat flow from cpu [in wats] / mass flow of the water [kg/s]*specific heat of the water [J/kgK].
Sample: 100W cpu water flow 500 l/h =0.13888kg/s cp H2O=4183J/kgK
delta T = 100/0.13888*4183= 0.172 K which means 100W cpu inlet water 20°C outlet water 20.17°C
So you see having more waterblocks won't effect delta T if you keep flow rate high, but overall water will get a little warmer, but that depends on your radiator and how good of a job it does.

dmitriyaz
08-09-2002, 12:47 PM
thanks,
that was a little over my head :o , but i see what your saying.

Hua Luo Han
02-02-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
I really like that exterior mounted tube shaped tank!

Agree that the res is nice :thumbsup:

http://hlh1.netfirms.com/rad1b.JPG