PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Problems

KingKwentyne
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Is anyone having problems with their PS3? I have had to send mine back to sony this for the third time since October last year. The first time it came back with exactly the same problems that i sent it off with, including: freezing, disc read errors and hhd errors. Sent it back in, and this time the blu ray drive works fine but the hdd is still acting up. the main symptom is that i cant get any hard drive intensive activity to complete example: when installing gt5 it hangs for what seems like an eternity, then beeps 3 times and the power light blinks until i press the power button. demos like fifa 09 keep stopping and going. Fifa youtube vid: click me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUvIYBSlTPY) and me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SyUEoVG_Q&feature=related)

I know it is the hard drive which i can change myself but my warranty is still valid so i am gonna make sure i get my moneys worth. Share your Ps3 problems.

Ttocs
01-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Mine still works, but can't read any DVDs, Blu Rays, PS3 games or PS2 games. The best part is I spent a thousand dollars on it (18 months ago, NZ$), and it's going to cost $450 to fix, which is three quarters of what a new one costs. My XBox 360 has broken more, but their customer service and prices are a million times better ($130 a few weeks ago to fix a RROD and another years warranty with it).
Oh well, rant over.
Bad luck about your PS3 OP.

KingKwentyne
01-22-2009, 07:01 AM
so u didnt get your ps3 fixed?
i am sending mine back in. this time i think it is just the hard drive that is the problem,so hopefully they will get it right this time. the only good thing about sonys customer service is that the repairs are free as long as the warranty is valid. and every time they repair it they give u a 90 day warranty on the repaired system. i am hoping i wont have to use it though hahah.

Ttocs
01-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Nah, I'll wait a while until the cost of repair comes down. It's out of warranty, so that's basically it.
You said it here 'the only good thing about sonys customer service is that the repairs are free as long as the warranty is valid.' :rofl:

trance565
01-23-2009, 10:27 PM
never had any problems, first thing i tried to do with it when i got it out of the box was dismantle it, put it back to gether and had 3 extra screws, :).

Splave
01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Have owned 2 for about a year, had problems with 0. Sorry bro

KingKwentyne
01-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Have owned 2 for about a year, had problems with 0. Sorry bro

show off

my one ps3 has given me more problems than my wife haha... it is supposed to b what i run too when my wife gives me trouble.

i sent it off today and this will b the third time. hopefully this time will b the last

THRASHER2
01-24-2009, 09:16 PM
I got my PS3 last week :up:
After I got it setup (Hiring and cables) Turned it on and I was going through the menu setup date option and I turned my head to look at the clock on the wall....
Then BAM...... It shuts down "NO PICTURE" I am like WTF!
I turned it back on...... and waited....and waited.... "NO PICTURE" and then it beebs then turns off "GRRRRRRRRRR"
I have to call the tech guys before I start sending it back :mad:

zanzabar
01-24-2009, 09:45 PM
what HDD do u have, the 60GB one had problems that they used a drive that ran to hot and they have no cooling so u need to add a fan keep it in a better ventilated place

trance565
01-25-2009, 09:25 PM
@thrasher when turning it on, hold the pwoer button down till it beeps a 2nd time and it will reset the video and sound settings, that may help.

THRASHER2
01-25-2009, 10:14 PM
@thrasher when turning it on, hold the pwoer button down till it beeps a 2nd time and it will reset the video and sound settings, that may help.
:eek: I hope that works...........

I will try that after I get off work today (12hr shifts suck) :eek:

zanzabar
01-25-2009, 10:29 PM
u can also use cleaning mode and see if its dirty, and turn it off (with the switch) then hold eject and flip it on

u can also get an SSD and it fixes alot of problems, 32GB is down to like $60 for a cheap one

THRASHER2
01-25-2009, 10:44 PM
u can also use cleaning mode and see if its dirty, and turn it off (with the switch) then hold eject and flip it on

u can also get an SSD and it fixes alot of problems, 32GB is down to like $60 for a cheap one
My PS3 is brand new and I only had it for one day before this problem happened.

zanzabar
01-25-2009, 10:56 PM
well there are 2 major problems with the ps3, 1 they like MS dont realize that mass production dosnt put TIM on right so parts overheat, and then they use IBM (aka hitatchi) and seagate HDD and dont realize that they get vary hot, so when u do things like a full format or a long gaming session then u get a messed up console

your problem is extreme but the cleaning mode might do something like it will atleast tell if the rom is good.

dexster
01-26-2009, 12:34 AM
as zanzabar pointed out above consoles get very hot

having all 3 current release consoles (knocking on wood) none have failed on me and they were all the original release consoles in australia (still knocking on wood)
BUT where they are positioned they have room around them ; hence despite the cooling not being the best on consoles , it is allowed to work in the least hindered way possible

however not all problems with consoles are heat related :confused:

dexster
01-26-2009, 12:37 AM
also is cleaning mode for the ps3??
never seen/heard of it ?

is it in the manual?
wouldnt know as i have not read it :D

zanzabar
01-26-2009, 12:58 AM
no cleaning mode is not in the manual, its a dev mode that puts the console fans at 100% and prevents booting for 10-30sec, it kicks all of the dust out and its loud (its like 2900 xfire 100% fan speed + a few deltas for good measure loud).

u do it by
1) turn the switch off in the back
2) press the eject (console still off)
3) while holding eject flip the switch
4) wait 30sec or so or turn it off and your done

the ps3 has a bad flaw with the HDD being mounted with the sides of the drive on the bracket that mounts to the cell, so bottom of the cell board (were there is no cooling) gets vary hot and can kill the cell. hence the SSD suggestion, or ugly external conversion

trance565
01-26-2009, 06:46 PM
mine doesnt do the cleaning thing

zanzabar
01-26-2009, 06:56 PM
the ones with hardware ps2 emulation dont do it, should have mentioned that

viccan
01-26-2009, 07:20 PM
And they wonder why they're having a multi billion dollar loss .... Jeeez

trance565
01-26-2009, 07:27 PM
awww, lol when did they stop doing hardware emulation? lol ohwell, dust cans for me do jsut fine lol :)

zanzabar
01-26-2009, 07:35 PM
the 20/60GB ntsc have hardware ps2 emulation the 80GB ntsc v1 and 60GB pal have software and the rest dont have any

but some with no software emulation still do it like my friends 40GB ntsc plays ps2 games even though it shouldent

THRASHER2
01-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I tried that trick and started over with the setup menu and date setup............minutes later ......FROZE!
Control pad not working and the screen is Froze.
I went to the back of the Unit and turned it off then back on
(after that I touch the Green button on the front)

NO GO! *$#@%@^#@^GRRRRRR

KingKwentyne
01-26-2009, 09:59 PM
well it would seem that i am not the only one suffering with a crazy ps3 on here. my ps3 is the 80gig version ntsc (motor storm package).my problem was never a heat problem to begin with. it had to with the blu ray drive at first then the hdd. my ps3 has always been in a well ventilated area and i clean it out every weekend with cans of air so i am not worried about it being dust either. i will say that i played final fantasy 7 for like 2 weeks straight. since my ps3 uses emulation does that mean it was over heating? cause again it was in a very well ventilated area.

hey thrasher good luck with your ps3 man. i know how frustrating it could b when that damn thing dont work. btw yours should still b under the warranty right? and if it is y dont u just send it back?

THRASHER2
01-26-2009, 11:27 PM
hey thrasher good luck with your ps3 man. i know how frustrating it could b when that damn thing dont work. btw yours should still b under the warranty right? and if it is y dont u just send it back?
Yes it is still under warranty ;)
I will be calling them tue or wed about sending it back :yepp:

trance565
01-27-2009, 05:04 PM
my ps3 doesnt have a heat problem, and it froze for the first time earlier today, after i left it on over night with fallout3 playing :doh:

i have mine standing verticle though, always have, maybe that helps it stay cooler, i dunno.

cadaveca
01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
no cleaning mode is not in the manual, its a dev mode that puts the console fans at 100% and prevents booting for 10-30sec, it kicks all of the dust out and its loud (its like 2900 xfire 100% fan speed + a few deltas for good measure loud).

u do it by
1) turn the switch off in the back
2) press the eject (console still off)
3) while holding eject flip the switch
4) wait 30sec or so or turn it off and your done

the ps3 has a bad flaw with the HDD being mounted with the sides of the drive on the bracket that mounts to the cell, so bottom of the cell board (were there is no cooling) gets vary hot and can kill the cell. hence the SSD suggestion, or ugly external conversion

Please do not suggest this, as it causes teh gpu to overheat in order to get the fan to spin up. Dude above that tried it probably killed his listening to your suggestion...

zanzabar
01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
why would it overheat the gpu, sony has told me to it and never gave a warning

its supposed to interupt the gpu diod sensor to increase the fan speed the system dosnt initiate or enable the cell/rsx its all in the rom code

KingKwentyne
01-27-2009, 10:15 PM
my ps3 doesnt have a heat problem, and it froze for the first time earlier today, after i left it on over night with fallout3 playing :doh:

i have mine standing verticle though, always have, maybe that helps it stay cooler, i dunno.

:confused: dude my ps3 stayed on overnight once come to think of it. i was downloading a demo, cant remember which one, i set the ps3 to turn off when the download was done. for some reason the ps3 never went off and the download never finished. .... could that have been the straw that broke the donkey's back?... oh well too late now

trance565
01-28-2009, 05:22 PM
ya, first time it's ever completely locked up, i've left it on a few times before, and it's never had a problem.

killed it? my ps3 is still just fine, mine doesnt support the cleaning thing.

and i dont really get how it overheats anything as the fans turn on super high, and last i checked, turning the fans on high, just makes things run cooler. so if somone could actually explain the "fans on high makes ps3 overheat and die" thing, i would love to learn. i've seen that stated on a couple websites when i was trying to get my ps3 to clean the other day.

none of the websites explain as to how more air running thru the system causes anything to overheat, just that it does, and sony says so too.

KingKwentyne
01-28-2009, 09:20 PM
got some good news today. got an email from sony today saying that my ps3 was shipped out and its on its way home. i think that was quick compared to before. i only sent it off on saturday. and it is gonna get here by friday. thats less than a week. :D this time i will make sure that is cleaned out and i will keep it on its side to help with hot air flow. if it 4 any reason dies again.... i am gettin an xbox. just 4 spite. i will play forza instead gran turismo hahah

Elementnz
01-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Man sorry to hear. only issue my brother and i had was ours got nicked :(

:down::down:

cadaveca
01-29-2009, 07:26 AM
ya, first time it's ever completely locked up, i've left it on a few times before, and it's never had a problem.

killed it? my ps3 is still just fine, mine doesnt support the cleaning thing.

and i dont really get how it overheats anything as the fans turn on super high, and last i checked, turning the fans on high, just makes things run cooler. so if somone could actually explain the "fans on high makes ps3 overheat and die" thing, i would love to learn. i've seen that stated on a couple websites when i was trying to get my ps3 to clean the other day.

none of the websites explain as to how more air running thru the system causes anything to overheat, just that it does, and sony says so too.

you turn the ps3 upside down so the weight of the fan pulls the heatsink off the gpu. While only partial contact happens, the fan spins up. PS3's that do not do this "feature", simply have a tighter heatsink. :shrug:

I mean, really, why would turning the ps3 upside down do anything? Never wondered why? Now you know.

KingKwentyne
01-29-2009, 12:15 PM
my ps3 came in this morning. i expected it to get here on friday its a day early and i aint complainin. sony sent me a brand spanking new ps3. i am about to put it through its paces and let u guys know how it holds up and if i get any other problems with it.

itznfb
01-29-2009, 12:24 PM
strange how some people go through so many with issues. i have 3 40GB versions, and my dad has a 40GB version. we've never had any issues.

KingKwentyne
01-29-2009, 07:16 PM
well the new ps3 held up very well today. none of the previous problems rared their head and no new ones either. so now that i have a working ps3 who else on here plays gt5 online :D