PDA

View Full Version : My Acer One just died with my school project thats due tomorrow

masterg
01-21-2009, 02:00 AM
was working on my school project at school and came home and my netbook would not turn on. the power light came on, but nothing else. and when i held power down it wouldnt shut down either. plugged in AC adapter and samething and took out battery hooked in AC same thing. this is dire situation this thing has all my program code for school.

IFMU
01-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Quickest way IMHO, is pull the HDD, slap it into your desktop and access the files there.
Do the school stuff then fix hardware later.
:shrug:

masterg
01-21-2009, 02:11 AM
i cant pull the HDD out, its Acer Aspire One. the HDD is 2.5" and embedded under the keyboard and wireless card and no screwdriver small enough

gillll
01-21-2009, 02:14 AM
u need to start taking it apart then....hehe i always love that.

and then take it as mentioned to another pc.

masterg
01-21-2009, 02:17 AM
how does the 2.5" HDD hook up to regular pc?

gillll
01-21-2009, 02:23 AM
if it's sata then no prob.

if it's ide then there's everywhere an ide adaptor which will do the job transforming the interface to regular hd.

masterg
01-21-2009, 03:03 AM
idk what it is, its not sata, lots of connections but smaller then a floppy connector

masterg
01-21-2009, 03:05 AM
nvm it is sata, just hooked up wierd

masterg
01-21-2009, 04:04 AM
i got it running on my desktop. it says there was data corruption on standby so i reset that and got my info off it, hopefully that reset will fix it anywayz

masterg
01-21-2009, 04:47 AM
it still refuses to boot

gillll
01-21-2009, 05:23 AM
don't boot through it.

boot from the desktop hd and then browse to the lappy hd and copy all that you want.

ewitte
01-21-2009, 01:13 PM
I just had a laptop at my house for data recovery. 24% of the drive was completely bad and it took like a week to copy the good stuff off lol.

PrometheusCon
01-21-2009, 02:33 PM
That's always scary when that happens. Thank God we all have like 3-4 pcs or else we'd be screwed... haha.

l33t p1mp
01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
That's always scary when that happens. Thank God we all have like 3-4 pcs or else we'd be screwed... haha.

I crapped myself when my acer aspire 5100 died with over 50 hours of schoolwork on it. Good thing I had a second pc and I managed to save all my files.

Knight
01-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Always backup important documents to your email or thumb drive. You never know when the hardware devil will stab you. :(

masterg
01-21-2009, 03:34 PM
The LCD is dead, i turn on the power and it just runs, no screen but after awhile it starts to get warm and idle like its at the windows login screen. at this point if i hold down power the system does turn off. so the LCD seems bad and the vga port wont let me export to a monitor either.

Quest_7F
01-21-2009, 04:20 PM
So what nettop should I get now:confused:

Hope everything goes ok, I know exactly how that situation feels and I think I felt it all years of high school. And now in college.

masterg
01-21-2009, 06:10 PM
this is the Acer Aspire One, i still stand by it, but flukes happen and just so happens mine is the 1/1,000,000 >.> today

Quest_7F
01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
lol I like you added the today, I am considering the nettop, this doesnt make me think anything less, as crap happens, you get your school in order?

masterg
01-21-2009, 07:57 PM
i got my stuff from in, put it on an external HDD and took it to school to find the schools network has crashed and nobody can do anything anywayz

Quest_7F
01-21-2009, 08:22 PM
slyguy:cool:

dog ate your hw x10, take down your schools network:D

masterg
01-21-2009, 08:51 PM
was not me, dont know the first thing about networking

Hor$eman
01-21-2009, 09:21 PM
I had mine die a couple weeks ago too. Same symptoms, though when I was sitting there on the desktop, windows just started shutting down, and then it wouldn't fire up. Green light came on, sounded like it was firing up, but no disc use lighting up, and nothing happened. Wouldn't power off with a four second power switch delay. I tired everything I could think of, no use. I pulled the drive and got my data off, then wiped any data I don't want some techie looking at. It's back in the box waiting to go back to the store (Have baby, time limited for standing in lineups).

Anyone else had, or know anyone, who has also had this happen? I'm wondering if this might be the beginning of a trend.

Loser777
01-21-2009, 09:52 PM
One of my friends started typing his Six Page Paper for AP U.S. History at 8 o'clock at night the day before it was due in NOTEPAD because he didn't have Office installed and didn't know about Open Office.... and around 1AM his comp just froze... he rebooted, and his Essay was gone... so he started rewriting it at 1AM...
He finished at 5AM.

masterg
01-21-2009, 11:08 PM
it was gone because notepad doesnt come with recovery like office or openoffice :p:

but i did have that happen to me once, was writing an essay day before it was due, video card died put in a new one and ran into windows activation for a very very long time

Frank M
01-23-2009, 01:44 PM
So what nettop should I get now:confused:

You mean netbook, right?
Anything but the Acer one.
Seriously. I've heard that it's very poorly built, cheap plastics, fragile
hinges that are bound to break in a year or two, etc. It's the cheapest
netbook around, but it sacrifices too much quality for price.

After waiting for netbooks for so long, I just got fed up with these
half-a$$ed pieces and instead got a used 11.1" vaio ultraportable
just today -- core solo ulv, carbon fibre chassis, windows predicts
7.5hrs with wifi on but screen dimmed, and 10.5hrs with wifi off.

If I were to buy a netbook, I'd get the new hp 2140, eee 1000h
or the wind (with 6cell, if battery life matters for you), in that order.

As for data loss:
- sync software + a pendrive for your important files.
- ctrl+s every few minutes.

kiyka
01-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Asus eepc.
I don't own one but they seem to get really good reviews.
Plus they are super cute!
;p

If you ever get worried about losing data do what I do!
I keep an internal backup drive where I keep all my documents as well as an external backup drive that I keep a copy of the important stuff

The hard drive devil hit me a few times in the past :mad:

masterg
02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
well, got my netbook back after shipping it to bestbuy support center. walked it into my local geek squad showed them my warranty and they took everything said itd be 2 weeks, no charge :)

got it back, they swapped out the motherboard and CPU and ram, didnt tell me what was wrong, besides the Windows Activation Screen:mad: and reloading and fixing my internet certificates:shrug:(no idea what happened there) everythings back to normal and works fine

:D

Bobsama
02-09-2009, 04:46 PM
The Samsung N10 or whatever it is, is supposed to be top quality. But I'd have to say an EeePC 1000.

RejZoR
02-10-2009, 01:43 AM
You mean netbook, right?

After waiting for netbooks for so long, I just got fed up with these
half-a$$ed pieces and instead got a used 11.1" vaio ultraportable
just today -- core solo ulv, carbon fibre chassis, windows predicts
7.5hrs with wifi on but screen dimmed, and 10.5hrs with wifi off.

If I were to buy a netbook, I'd get the new hp 2140, eee 1000h
or the wind (with 6cell, if battery life matters for you), in that order.

As for data loss:
- sync software + a pendrive for your important files.
- ctrl+s every few minutes.

Ppl say that just because it has ACER written on it...

masterg
02-10-2009, 11:51 AM
You mean netbook, right?

honestly thats everything ive heard about the ASUS eeepc

hefonthefjords
02-11-2009, 06:02 AM
the best netbook around ATM is by far and wide the asus n10j.
the dedicated graphics memory/processor makes a stupidly large difference to the overall performance of the machine.

Revv23
02-11-2009, 07:32 AM
One of my friends started typing his Six Page Paper for AP U.S. History at 8 o'clock at night the day before it was due in NOTEPAD because he didn't have Office installed and didn't know about Open Office.... and around 1AM his comp just froze... he rebooted, and his Essay was gone... so he started rewriting it at 1AM...
He finished at 5AM.

He wrote for 5 hours without saving the document ONE time?

what a n00b!

I'm surprised more people dont backup often, with important documents i not only save every 10 minutes, whenever im done with a work session, i email the most up to date version to myself.

RejZoR
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Lol. Essay in Notepad. Thats fail by design :P I mean every Windows system has at least Wordpad which is a very lite version of MS Word.
Besides, in 5 hours i'd save at least once (thats the max minimum). But otherwise i'd probably save at least 50 times. Even 10 times every hour is not much really.

kiyka
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I save almost every sentence or so.
It's a habit.
I even catch myself doing CTRL+S on this forum.

RejZoR
02-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I wonder why he didn't use GoogleDocs. It has far more features than Notepad and also autosaves every few words or every few minutes.