PDA

View Full Version : can the 4GB Hitachi MicroDrive from mini-iPod be salvaged

Cpl Ledanek
01-19-2009, 10:17 AM
can the 4GB Hitachi MicroDrive from mini-iPod be salvaged?
I mean can I remove it and use it for extra storage?

advance thanks

Bobsama
01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
If you have a CF adapter (CF-to-IDE or CF-to-USB), then I do believe they can be connected to a computer. However, they're not exactly useful--they'll be very slow, especially versus modern flash memory and normal hard drives.

FragZero
01-20-2009, 02:28 PM
I'll work as a normal CF card if your lucky. At a certain pointed they changed the firmware a bit so it became incompatible with most CF devices, these cards do work in most cardreaders !

Frodin
01-31-2009, 09:56 AM
I replaced the 6GB drive in my iPod mini with a 16GB CF card, and the microdrive works in the card reader on my Asus barebone media PC (Asus Terminator T3-P5G31).

Cpl Ledanek
02-13-2009, 02:13 PM
k, the microdrive is caput...lots of vibration...grinding.....now:

@Frodin, when you replaced it with a CF, is it any regular CF? what brand? model? did the iPod started fresh/factory....maybe I can salvage the rest of the iPod and just drill a hole on the broke microdrive to vent frustrations...

thanks in advance

Bobsama
02-15-2009, 12:24 AM
k, the microdrive is caput...lots of vibration...grinding.....now:

@Frodin, when you replaced it with a CF, is it any regular CF? what brand? model? did the iPod started fresh/factory....maybe I can salvage the rest of the iPod and just drill a hole on the broke microdrive to vent frustrations...

thanks in advance

From what I hear, any CF card works. My uncle's thinking of doing that for his Mini... replace the microdrive with like a 32GB CF card.

Cpl Ledanek
02-15-2009, 03:58 PM
From what I hear, any CF card works. My uncle's thinking of doing that for his Mini... replace the microdrive with like a 32GB CF card.
smallest CF I got for the meantime is 128...how do I load the OS, if any?
if it still doesn't fire up, then the whole thing is caput?

Frodin
02-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Many brands/ models of CF cards will work, I've read that there are some that won't. I put a 16GB Samsung OEM card that I got from ebay for 50$ or so last spring in mine together with a new higher capacity battery tha was like 8$ or so from ebay. With the relatively small amount spent, I got more than twice the storage space, faster menu response, and a much better battery. Money well spent imo.
You may need to update the firmware of the ipod to the latest version first. Then replace the drive, connect the ipod, load itunes, and reset/ format the ipod through itunes.

Bobsama
02-20-2009, 08:51 PM
"Restore" in iTunes?