PDA

View Full Version : [HELP] Mixed restrictive/highflow with multi loop/pumps

redgabber
01-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Hi everybody, i m new over there, my english is not perfect, but go on ! ^^
I have some plans to rebuild my poor water system soon, then i need your support. First, let's have a look to my config. I need your skills guys !

Computer : QX9650 OC 4ghz, Dual-Gpu 9800GX2 OC, DDr3 2*2go 1800mhz, Striker 2 extreme, Cosmos RC1000 (modified)

WaterCooling
- 2 x Laing 10w Top Ek V2 (Threads 1/4 or 3/8 for V1)
or 1 x Laing 10w Top + 1 x D5 vario
- wb D-Tek Fusion V2 or Apogee GTZ (are both medium restrictive) or EK Supreme restrictive or Koolance 350 very restrictive (better score !?).
- wb Fusion Chipset from stock Striker 2 extreme
- wb EK Dual-GPU full covered for 9800GX2,
- Rad Thermochill 120.3 (360)
- Rad Thermochill 120.2 (220)
- DangerDen FatBoy fittings 1/4 and 3/8 (Thread 3/8 everywhere it's possible, run ok for Thermochill rad, Laing EK Top, and D-Tek bay reservoir)
- 3/8 and 1/2 mixed tubing (look the sample below for details)
- may be Mips Ram Freezer DDR3 (hot at 18000 mhz)
- Fans x 5 Noctua P12 or Yate Loon or Scythe, all high pressure
- x1 Nicole Kidman ass sticker (i m 40 old^^)

This is over-powered ! yes but i want to be able to add any new items in the future (moffsets, southbridge... beer, dog, girls...) without undo and redo my water work.

Legend * :
Very restrictive (thread 1/4, tubing 3/8 or less is better) Need max pressure
Medium restrictive (thread 1/4 or 3/8, tubing 3/8 or 1/2) Need flow and pressure
No restrictive (thread 3/8 recommanded or 1/4, tubing 1/2 are highly recommanded or 3/8) Need max flow
--> is 3/8 tubing
==> is 1/2 tubing
Y is 1/2
* Colors must be used as multi-reference. Sometime you must accord this for a thread, a tubing information or a quick view of flow type. (for example, a Laing10w cannot be medium restrictive but can hold 1/4 or 3/8 threads)

Sample "Long loop" 3/8 tubing & 1/4 Thread everywhere
--> Laing10w --> wb cpu FusionV2 --> wb chipset --> rad 360 -->
.................................................. ..............................................Rese rvoir
.......[--> Laing10w --> wb gpu-gpu --> rad 220 -->
or
Sample "Short loop + HighFlow" 3/8 & 1/2 tubing mix, Threads 1/4 & 1/8 mix
(Slow loop) ==> Laing 10w --> wb cpu EK or K-350 --> wb chipset -->
.................................................. ..................................................[ Y ==> rad 360 ==> rad 220 ==>Reservoir
.....[(Fast loop) ==> D5 (#3 quieter) ==>wb gpu-gpu ==>
or
Sample "Single long loop"
D5 #5 (humm ! noisy ?) ==> no restrictive cpu (which one?) ==> chipset ==> Rad 360 ==> gpu-gpu ==> rad 220 ==> Reservoir

The reservoir could be Reservoir 3/8 D-tek bay http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=143, run for the 2nd sample.
or Reservoir 1/4 Ek-MultiOption classic or special Custom LINKED version http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=198 for use with the first sample.

I want a QUIET system and of course powerfull ^^... Are D5 or Laing 18w noisy? ? Is Y junction towards highFlow a bad idea? ?? My choice is the 2nd sample "Short loop + HighFlow".
I justify below, but may be i m wrong.
- 2 small pumps are quieter than 1 big (D5 #5) or an overclocked Laing18w.
- 2 loops with both pumps allows durable options and offers more power than a single one on a single loop
- Restrictive cpu scores better than non-restrictive only if they have dedicated pressure available, but dramatically break the flow. It's the broken slow loop
- Non-restrictive and fast loop brings the HighFlow into the system then become the principal channel, and help the broken restricted loop to join the Y by pulling effect.
- Since the loops have been Unified with the large Y (1/2 to prevent flow loss), the flow have been accumulated, added and ready to be heat-killed by the cooling radiators section.
- The 1/2 tubing and 3/8 threads preserve the highflow along the rad/reservoir/pumps section.
- i Use only one reservoir to let the thermal effect be homogeneous along the entire system, and to under-stress the mecanical rotor of the pumps.

So, i think we get a very quiet and powerfull system, powerfull by the thermal capabilities of the highflow and radiators efficiency. Also we have pressure in stock for an high-end cpu score.

What do you think about it ?

Serpentarius
01-18-2009, 06:17 PM
getting a D5 is fine ... but not 2x D5

1xD5 = power 80 litres aquarium
our watercooling loop = 1~2 litres
fact = see the excessiveness?
http://www.lainginc.com/dc_pumps.htm

save your money and purchase a rad .. coz it cools better
don't have to worry bout your loop flow ... coz it already sky rocketting .. talk bout practicability, realisticability

redgabber
01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Ok serpentarius..D5 is good for many application...but what about silence in #5 speed ? i hear silence like a clock "tic-tac" from the kitchen...no more. no "huuuuu", no "hiiiiiiiii", only "hmmmmmm" is acceptable ;) About case integration, it's ok. Dremel is done and the cosmos (case^^) have now free place to play with.

I was thinking about this too :
The koolance 350 is very very restrictive, more than Ek supreme. There are few tests that says. I can't imagine this wb working in a multi-block loop without killing the flow... ??? !!
Serpentarius, you make me wrong.. it's good and usefull, but i need more comments from others guys, i m sure u understand.

(see first post for color legend)
Sample "Short loop + HighFlow" 3/8 & 1/2 tubing mix, Threads 1/4 & 1/8 mix
(Slow loop) ==> Laing 10w --> wb Koolance 350 (restrictive by the hell) -->
.................................................. .................................................. .....[ Y ==> rad 360 ==> rad 220 ==>Reservoir
...(Fast loop) ==> D5 (#3 quieter) ==>wb chipset --> wb gpu-gpu ==>

headala
01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
I have a D5; I like it but it is not silent or quiet. The normal hum is too much, even if properly mounted on sponge sandwich, etc. The DDC's aren't as loud, but I don't like them as much.

redgabber
01-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the info ^^

basserdan
01-29-2009, 01:52 AM
I have a D5; I like it but it is not silent or quiet. The normal hum is too much, even if properly mounted on sponge sandwich, etc. The DDC's aren't as loud, but I don't like them as much.

I absolutely can't hear a thing from either of my D5's! Even while bleeding both loops when only the pumps are powered up.

Deezle
01-29-2009, 07:02 AM
I absolutely can't hear a thing from either of my D5's! Even while bleeding both loops when only the pumps are powered up.
Me too, I have a D5 and 2 friends with D5s, they're silent.

redgabber
01-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey mate, what do you think of that ? :

headala
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
I would do the two separate loops. Less complicated and less opportunity for slipups. In fact, my new setup will be res->d5->pa120.2 in the bottom->cpu block->res; and then a second loop with all the other stuff like you. I think it will work fine.

Adamantine
01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I think the first one would be best, except with the fans blowing into the rads and exhausting the air out the back.

redgabber
01-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Do you have some idea about the shared fillport ? i don't want to use 2 reservoirs. About the fans, do you mean it should aspirate the fresh air from the outside into the case ? then reverse the back fan for exhausting ?