PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit confused about the thermochill shroud

Eddie3dfx
01-14-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.jab-tech.com/images/D/d_2939.jpg

People have their fans inside the shroud, but the description states that it was mean't to elevate the fans 40mm.

Elevates fans from PA120.x core surface by an additional 40mm to further reduce noise and provide more even airflow distribution across core surface area.

So people are either using this incorrectly or the description isn't accurate.
If it was mean to have the fans inside, then why not make these things for regular radiators as well.

dengyong
01-14-2009, 04:40 PM
The people who mount fans inside the shroud, are using it for aesthetics.

SiGfever
01-14-2009, 04:40 PM
http://www.jab-tech.com/images/D/d_2939.jpg

People have their fans inside the shroud, but the description states that it was mean't to elevate the fans 40mm.

So people are either using this incorrectly or the description isn't accurate.
If it was mean to have the fans inside, then why not make these things for regular radiators as well.
They were meant to mount the fans on the outside to alleviate the dead spot of the fans.

Eddie3dfx
01-14-2009, 04:41 PM
They were meant to mount the fans on the outside to alleviate the dead spot of the fans.

I mean I clearly understand that, but am a bit perplexed to see so many people with the fans on the inside.

inCore
01-14-2009, 04:45 PM
People put their fans on the insides? Wow.

Eddie3dfx
01-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Not to pick on sniper, because his system is one of the nicest I've seen, but that is ultimately what he and others are doing.

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/4356/permafrostinside13ki3.jpg

warriorpoet
01-14-2009, 04:48 PM
The people who mount fans inside the shroud, are using it for aesthetics.

People put their fans on the insides? Wow.I'm lining it with PaxMate and soft-mounting my rad fans. Drops dB noticeably :up:

armeniandave
01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Eddie I think there using it more for aesthetics than performance. It does look better hiding the fans and kind of goes along with the whole aesthetics over ultimate performance discussion.:up:

Eddie3dfx
01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Eddie I think there using it more for aesthetics than performance. It does look better hiding the fans and kind of goes along with the whole aesthetics over ultimate performance discussion.:up:

Yes, it does. I really like what snipe did on that setup.
I wouldn't mind one of those for my swiftechs, thats for sure. Maybe a new part for U.N. Designs, ahem ahem. :)

armeniandave
01-14-2009, 07:25 PM
I like your thinking Eddie.......:clap:

woffen
01-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm getting a PA120.3 + shroud soon and was wondering if it matters if you use push or pull with the shroud?

Serpentarius
01-14-2009, 11:02 PM
having fans inside the shroud looks neat .. but hey, Koolance w/c all had their fans inside the shroud

if you do plan to place fans inside the shroud ... remove the fan casing covers .. keep it minimum just enough to hold the fan
that way the shroud acts like a big fan(s) casing

woffen
01-15-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm pulling with mine, and they work great. I've used them both ways. Performance wise, nut sure of you'd see a difference either way, but fan noise will be less when pushing, and the shrouds really helps with fan noise when pulling.

As far as the fans inside the shroud, not a big fan of doing that myself, defeats the performance gains for both temps and fan noise. More for fan noise. But it does look really nice with the fans inside the rad for a build such as Snipes. Temp wise, not that big of impact, but some. Maybe 1 C if that depending on how fast the fans are spinning.

Just as always. if your build requirements dictate the clean look on fans inside the shroud, it's a great way to use them and Snipe did a great job with his.

andyc

Ok thx!:up: I was gonna go for push with some Ultra Kazes 3000 but decided to keep it a little cheaper now in the beginning with just some yate loons so I guess I will go pull then as that seems to be the better idea with low rpm fans.

Bobly
01-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Surely if it's a 40mm shroud you could have a 25mm fan attached inside it and still have ~12mm of space left in between the fan and rad to compensate for some of the dead space, I would think this is more of a best of both scenario :)

warriorpoet
01-15-2009, 08:49 AM
...Performance wise, nut sure of you'd see a difference either way, but fan noise will be less when pushing, and the shrouds really helps with fan noise when pulling....If you're running your fans lower than 800RPM for quiet,that's the only way to go :up:

ownage
01-15-2009, 08:54 AM
What about air pressure? Isn't the air pressure to weak if you have 40mm space between the rad and fan?
If you have a 25mm fan inside you still have 15mm space left.

SNiiPE_DoGG
01-15-2009, 09:13 AM
2 points here:

1) the fans inside the shroud are still farther from the core than if they were mounted to the radiator
2) if I put the fans on the outside of the shroud, I would not have room for my reservoirs and pumps. therefore I have moved the fans as far away as space allows in the case by putting them in the shroud but that on the rad.

in conclusion: yes it looks much better, but also yes it is the ultimate performance available within the space constraint.

John Planet
01-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Not to pick on sniper, because his system is one of the nicest I've seen, but that is ultimately what he and others are doing.

Wow, mounting fans inside a shroud has a great deal of visual appeal. I didn't anticipate THAT! :D As far as utlity, that's another story.