PDA

View Full Version : Heat Buildup

Daveburt714
01-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Hey Folks, could I get some suggestions?

Here's a brief history... I built this water cooler back in 2000 (before store bought systems were common). I pulled this old dog out of the closet because I was getting a PhII and I thought it might like it... :D

Parts:
120v / 250 GPH Mag Drive Pond Pump
'87 Chevette Heater Core (radiator)
120mm Antec fan
Relay to switch on pump w/12v supply
Gladware sandwich container (Fan shroud)
Rabbit Water Bottle (resivour :D)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/Daveburt/1220_PumpRadBox.jpg

It keeps temps ~3c over ambient until I stress the system for an hour or so, then the heat begins to build up. It never gets out of control (over 48c), but this Phenom likes to run cool almost more than it likes extra v's.

What would you guys suggest?
This is a pretty high flow system so I'm not sure what would be the best Radiator. Or would I be better off to go with a HighFlo fan, or a push/pull configuration....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.. Oh and don't laugh... :D

Serpentarius
01-13-2009, 12:45 AM
that's ancient!!!!!!!!!!!!

inCore
01-13-2009, 12:48 AM
First off, HAHAHAHAHAHA.

No, just kidding, I love these kinds of things. Homemade watercooling setups are simply cool.

Well, your radiator isn't very large, so that could be one thing that you could upgrade. Usually CPUs are fine with a double 120mm radiator, such as a Thermochill PA120.2, a Swiftech MCR220 or a dual Feser. Since your temperatures slowly build up, I would deduce that a too small radiator would be the cause.

You could try it with a higher speed fan and I suspect it would help, I'd still invest in a radiator if I were you though.

Zehnsucht
01-13-2009, 03:39 AM
It looks awfully dusty. I'd blow the radiator clean first, and maybe even try a stronger fan (i.e. a 38 mm model).

It's hard to tell, but it doesn't look like you are using a shroud on the radiator. Since the heater cores are larger than a 120 mm fan, you should use a shroud to make the air pass through the entire core. Ghetto style shroud can be made of card board.

This are just a few suggestions which costs next to nothing if you don't want to buy new components.

Daveburt714
01-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the advice folks...

I know it's kind of dusty, but I did blow out the radiator (at least):)...
BTW, there is a shroud, and you were spot on about the not wanting to spend alot of cash. Eventually I'll probably go back to the Xig 1283, because I'm lazy and change hardware quite often.

The fan sounds like a really good idea though and it's cheap!
I'll pick up a Scythe "Ultra Kaze 3000" this weekend and put a fan control on it so I can keep it quite when I'm not stressing it...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054

inCore: As far as the radiator option goes, I know alot of the newer stuff is "Low Flo". Do you think there would be any problem using newer radiators with this pump?

Thanks again for all your suggestions, XS ROCKS!! :banana3:

Oh yeah, all the tubing is 1/2"ID even though it may not look like it...

Serpentarius
01-13-2009, 10:29 PM
i tell you ... your rig can go for a niceeeee paint job

metalic black should do the trick or .. other fancy colors

Daveburt714
01-13-2009, 10:46 PM
i tell you ... your rig can go for a niceeeee paint job

metalic black should do the trick or .. other fancy colors

Hehe... I know it's NOT pretty man, but honestly I could care less. It actually preforms quite well and that's all I really care about.

More GO and less SHOW is fine with me. :up:

iandh
01-13-2009, 11:46 PM
So, um.... what did you use to chip the fossilized rock away from it before firing it up?

That said, putting a screaming fan on it should help considerably.