PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for a mouse to give you wrist pain?

Hot'n'Chilly
01-12-2009, 12:42 AM
I bought a razer Lachesis a while ago. As soon as I opened it I began a long gaming session. After it I noticed that my wrist felt sore and tight. Then the next day the pain was still there, and perhaps even worse. I have fairly small hands for the Lachesis's large size. Is it normal for somebody trying to use a bigger mouse than they can fir to feel such discomfort, with lasting effects (still mildly sore a few days later)? Or was this some sort of freak thing?

Serpentarius
01-12-2009, 12:56 AM
depends how badly the user stress their wrist ...

some user relaxes their wrist after a few hundeds of clicks ... some just bite the pain and proceed for moar pawnage (which later on pawned their wrist)

if it really hurts .. take NSAIDs .. prolonged usage of mouse under stress normally with cause minor inflamation to the joints .. either take pills or dab on the gel (do not take both, as per instructions)

maybe you ought to get some wrist support (tennis players used it) next time ... lol

inCore
01-12-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm sure it can happen. With any other type of acticity, be it sport or driving a car too long, you may put stress on a certain part of your body. For example, when driving a car too long, many people get a sore neck, which they also feel the next day (assuming it has been a long journey).

I've gotten a sore wrist from drumming and lifting weights, many things can spark such things. It could be that your mouse isn't suited for your hand. Try to borrow somebody else's mouse for a while or use an older one to see if the problem persists.

moiraesfate
01-12-2009, 05:58 AM
Its possible, yes. Depends on how you use your wrist.

RPGWiZaRD
01-12-2009, 08:23 AM
I used to get soar wrist if gaming for long with hard mousepads like plastic and aluminium etc, with clothpads I never get soar wrist which is why I use them. Just a thought.

HuffPCair
01-12-2009, 08:29 AM
It is very much so possible. It doesnt only depend on how you use it but also really what kind of shape your wrist and hand is it (which sounds weird) but gaming a long period of time and being in the same position for a long period of time is going to make you hurt a little bit. It is just like wearing a headset for hours on hand. Your ears will begin to hurt sometime along that period of wearing them for hours so same goes for having your wrist . Also the pain the next day could of been from using the muscle so much. If you have ever worked out you will know that it can hurt worse a few days after. So really it could of been caused by many things. Probably mainly because you gamed for hours on end and it didnt move that much is what I would go with.

cadaveca
01-12-2009, 09:12 AM
I had this problem UNTIL i got my lachesis. All the other mice I had were too small in my palm..the lachesis is probably the largest I have ever used. And I haven't had my hand hurt since I got it...

Best to try a different mouse, or different angle you are sitting at...if your wrist rests against the egde of your desk/table, that will cause issues as well.

Hot'n'Chilly
01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll be selling my lachesis and getting something else, maybe another Doamindback. I think a flatter, smaller mouse fits me better.

Biker
01-12-2009, 04:28 PM
I found using a gel filled wrist rest eased my pain when I spent a lot of time coding :)

Soulburner
01-12-2009, 06:16 PM
My wrist is permanently screwed and I have to see a doctor/orthopedist to figure out what to do. It doesn't matter how long I'm away from my computer and resting, it doesn't go away anymore. My wrist joint pops when I rotate it as well, and it has affected my other activities (holding a camera, carring heavy objects). Mousing triggers it more than anything and it seemed to get really bad after I got my Deathadder...best mouse I've ever used, but damn if it screwed me up big time (in conjunction with other activities)...

Casualty of my own hardware hobby :(

tiro_uspsss
01-13-2009, 05:51 AM
I bought a razer Lachesis a while ago. As soon as I opened it I began a long gaming session. After it I noticed that my wrist felt sore and tight. Then the next day the pain was still there, and perhaps even worse. I have fairly small hands for the Lachesis's large size. Is it normal for somebody trying to use a bigger mouse than they can fir to feel such discomfort, with lasting effects (still mildly sore a few days later)? Or was this some sort of freak thing?

well u definitely did at least one wrong thing imo - u gamed for a *long* time with a *new* mouse :down:
imo: *always* 'break' urself into a new mouse.
the only time I get a slightly sore wrist, is when I get a new mouse & have to adjust to the higher DPI setting - the last 3 or so mice I've bought have always had a higher DPI max - & so my wrist goes a lil stiffer in an effort to control this.
If u by any chance did the same with ur new mouse *plus* gamed for ages, it would have compounded ur problem :down:

I say lesson learnt :p: :up:

Eternalightwith
01-13-2009, 07:38 AM
My wrist pops too and I got some wrist pain, but the most troublesome thing was the tendons at the elbow that control hand gripping and thumb movement were always tight and burning. Tendonitis.
I'm not a doctor and I'm not telling you what to do but this is my personal thing that worked for me.

I take OsteoBioflex(glucasomine, chondroiton, MSM) and SAMe pills. The combination of the raw materials for rebuilding and the antioxidants in there made the pain and popping subside significantly over a couple weeks. And well I put down the mouse for that time too. Slowly introducing "gaming" to my wrist again.

David

P.S. I find that if your wrist is bent or middle of forearm is pressing against desk edge. That will kill your hand faster than you can say headshot. Good chair height/desk height is the number one thing to avoiding hand/arm damage and pain. Elbow and a little shoulder should be doing majority of the moving and not all wrist. I think this is what causes problems. This has been my own observation for the last 7-8 years I've had the trouble. Only in the last 6 months have I found this relief.

P.S.S Massage is great to relieve pain and calm tense muscles, but again is you don't take corrective action with good nutrition and good posture then massage only temporary fix.

My wrist is permanently screwed and I have to see a doctor/orthopedist to figure out what to do. It doesn't matter how long I'm away from my computer and resting, it doesn't go away anymore. My wrist joint pops when I rotate it as well, and it has affected my other activities (holding a camera, carring heavy objects). Mousing triggers it more than anything and it seemed to get really bad after I got my Deathadder...best mouse I've ever used, but damn if it screwed me up big time (in conjunction with other activities)...

Casualty of my own hardware hobby :(

Soulburner
01-13-2009, 04:21 PM
I have tried glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM for 2 months straight with no effect. It was more for my knee but anything it could do for the wrist would be an added benefit. All the research I did told me that all claims at this point are unproven, there hasn't been enough time / study to prove the theories about these supplements.

My wrist often feels like it gets inflamed at times, with use. Ibuprofen offers some, but minimal help with the inflammation.

My right wrist will pop just by rotating it all the way clockwise (palm up) then back. When it starts to rotate back, pop. Every time, I can make it pop, pop, pop. It isn't the same kind of pop you get from a joint like an elbow or knee (air/fluid) - it feels like friction. Two pieces of bone slipping off each other, I guess is the best way to describe it. My left does not do this and usually doesn't have big problems with pain either. X-Rays didn't show anything but I am going to have someone else look at them.

Small note...I get all my vitamins/minerals (including calcium citrate) and eat decently.

RickJ5
01-13-2009, 09:48 PM
I used to get wrist pain and I found it was because I was resting my wrist on the edge of the table. Getting a mouse pad with a gel filled wrist rest solved that problem and I don't get wrist pain anymore. One other thing I started doing a while back was switching hands. When one wrist got sore I used the mouse with my other hand. It took a while, but I can now use the mouse with either hand.

Serpentarius
01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
I have tried glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM for 2 months straight with no effect. It was more for my knee but anything it could do for the wrist would be an added benefit. All the research I did told me that all claims at this point are unproven, there hasn't been enough time / study to prove the theories about these supplements.

My wrist often feels like it gets inflamed at times, with use. Ibuprofen offers some, but minimal help with the inflammation.

My right wrist will pop just by rotating it all the way clockwise (palm up) then back. When it starts to rotate back, pop. Every time, I can make it pop, pop, pop. It isn't the same kind of pop you get from a joint like an elbow or knee (air/fluid) - it feels like friction. Two pieces of bone slipping off each other, I guess is the best way to describe it. My left does not do this and usually doesn't have big problems with pain either. X-Rays didn't show anything but I am going to have someone else look at them.

Small note...I get all my vitamins/minerals (including calcium citrate) and eat decently.

wow .. you're scaring me ...
i never imagine such injury to occur to person ... to me, a slight crampness is the sign of stop for me

did your wrist recovered? can you do push-ups, benching etc?
you know .. you could train your left hand to use mouse ... i'm ok with both hands using mouse .. it's just the right still gives more headshot than the left

n00b 0f l337
01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Have had carpel tunnel symptoms for years, I've moved to a trackball to reduce wrist movement :)

Serpentarius
01-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Have had carpel tunnel symptoms for years, I've moved to a trackball to reduce wrist movement :)

how you guys went that serious? supergaming?
can you do push-ups with that wrist?
i've never came across anyone with a carpal tunnel syndrom .. does it swollen or something? pain or anything?

n00b 0f l337
01-13-2009, 10:31 PM
I have joint problems, family history of facia tearing and other issues.
Plus, yes bad posture is a major key. And I don't really game much.

[XC] riptide
01-13-2009, 11:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury

;)

Hot'n'Chilly
01-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Well, I've stopped trying to use that awful sized mouse and the pain is pretty close to gone. Problem solved... except the wasted money.

Soulburner
01-14-2009, 02:52 PM
wow .. you're scaring me ...
i never imagine such injury to occur to person ... to me, a slight crampness is the sign of stop for me

did your wrist recovered? can you do push-ups, benching etc?
you know .. you could train your left hand to use mouse ... i'm ok with both hands using mouse .. it's just the right still gives more headshot than the left
Push ups are a problem. I use push up bars because putting the hand flat on the ground is a big no no, that gives me instant pain.

I use my left hand 90% of the time now until I can get it figured out. I have to game with the right still, but I don't much anymore anyway.

ColonelCain
01-14-2009, 02:58 PM

Same thing happens for me as well (though, I never even really noticed it...). Though, there isn't really any pain associated with it.

Thankfully I am not a lefty, because in football last year I made a really awkward one-arm tackle, and ended up with ligamitus of one of the tendons.

After the injury, after gaming for a little it would be painful, though I continued increasing the duration of the sessions, and now, a few months later it doesn't really bother me while gaming.

While weightlifting though, completely different story. :(

l33t p1mp
01-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Push ups are a problem. I use push up bars because putting the hand flat on the ground is a big no no, that gives me instant pain.

I use my left hand 90% of the time now until I can get it figured out. I have to game with the right still, but I don't much anymore anyway.

Funny, I have that but in my left shoulder. When I do push ups I lean to my right so it doesn't pop. :down:

Jamesrt2004
01-15-2009, 04:43 AM
every know and then I get "tenosynoritis" in my wrists (after being on computer a few hours or even just writing things with a pen etc, happens in fingers as well when i draw though)), apparently it's for when your body's not used to making awkward movements over and over so something happens with the muscle and it hurts quite bad,
but seeming that I've used a computer pretty much every day 2hours+ i find that hard to believe :/ and personally think it's something a bit more serious :(

Ronnie Coleman
01-16-2009, 01:47 AM
It's called Carpal tunnel syndrome. Look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome

I noticed that pain every time I don't use Logitech. :)