PDA

View Full Version : nVidia Tegra: What's going on?

[XC] Synthetickiller
01-09-2009, 03:28 PM
So I heard this technology is coming to phones in Q2 of 2009. Anyone out there knows anything about which companies will adopt the tech or anything?

This looks like an iphone killer and I want one!

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/gallery/4/2008/06/medium_2543951456_1cb0139ca1_o.jpg

DonFaygo
01-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Details?

[XC] Synthetickiller
01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Tegra 600 Series
Tegra 600 Series products are true computers-on-a-chip in a package smaller than a US dime. With advanced multimedia functionality and low-power design, the Tegra 600 Series will power the next-generation of visual computing on Microsoft Windows Mobile and CE-based mobile internet devices (MIDs).

Key features:

Up to 1080p HD video playback
Ultra-low-power GeForce GPU for intuitive and smooth 3D user interfaces
Integrated media processor for over 100 hours audio and 10 hours HD video playback
Image processor with advanced DSC and HD camcorder processing
Connectivity to support Web 2.0 and social media applications
Display support for up to 1080p HDMI, WSXGA+ LCD, SXGA CRT, and NTSC/PAL TV-Out

Tegra APX
Tegra APX applications processors bring the power of visual computing to the palm of your hand, powering next-generation Microsoft Windows Mobile-based smartphones, portable navigation devices (PNDs), and portable media players (PMPs).

Key features:

720p HD video capture and playback
The lowest power for demanding applications like 720p HD video
3D user interface that enhances browsing and content navigation
Premium HD video playback with NVIDIA® PureVideo® technology
Ability to access visually intensive online applications like mapping and gaming

bowman
01-09-2009, 05:09 PM
The first NVIDIA Tegra 600 Series-based devices are expected to begin shipping in mid-2009.

The first NVIDIA Tegra APX-based devices are expected to begin shipping in mid-2009.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_tegra_600_us.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_tegra_apx_us.html

However, for me at least.. This chip is made completely irrelevant by this:

Huang said when it comes to smartphones, Nvidia is “completely focused on Windows Mobile 7.”
http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=779

And these guys are members of the Open Handset Alliance. Pathetic. If any of these devices will run Android or some other Linux derivative, then maybe.

Revv23
01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
1st problem is that its windows mobile...

and just calling it an iphone killer makes it lame... thats like saying halo killer... or it's like trying to cover frank Sinatra... even if you are amazing you still aren't the real thing.

Russian
01-09-2009, 06:39 PM
I am actually really excited for these devices to see how they perform and preferably get one that has the full capabilities that it offers, no crippling.

drizzt5
01-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Big question from me, can I use my verizon service with it? Or do i have to use AT& BAD.

thirdshiftdj
01-10-2009, 02:47 AM
that will depend if its a GSM or CDMA phone. Seems like a very bulky phone anyways and no one has captured the essence of the iphone design yet.

Janno
01-10-2009, 01:58 PM

and just calling it an iphone killer makes it lame... thats like saying halo killer... or it's like trying to cover frank Sinatra... even if you are amazing you still aren't the real thing.

winmo 6.5 with an intuitive ui from nvidia could eliminate the first "problem"
personally, i don't think that the iphone os is superior to winmo

EDIT: forgot to mention that the nvidia phone is frickin huge! :D

Russian
01-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I dont care about size at all. And i dont care about WinMo either, i actually kinda like it. I dont find the symbian OSes to be that much greater like people are blasting WinMo. Its really not that bad at all, i like WinMo devices and they work well with your PC too.

[XC] Synthetickiller
01-10-2009, 03:18 PM
I think this is a mock up for nVidia. I believe the unit is not a phone, just a media device, although you could easily incorporate it into a phone.

Loser777
01-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Finally, a mobile device for real men... that looks BEEFY!! :up:
Horsepower one can be proud of :up:

Frank M
01-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Synthetickiller;3565342']So I heard this technology is coming to phones in Q2 of 2009.

Wishful thinking. There will be no tegra-based phones in Q2.
There have been other SoC designs with advanced multimedia
parts also integrated, but very few made it to the market even
a long time after they were introduced, and even then they
were crippled by weak drivers.

However, for me at least.. This chip is made completely irrelevant by this:

Have you guys used wm devices?

that will depend if its a GSM or CDMA phone. Seems like a very bulky phone anyways

EDIT: forgot to mention that the nvidia phone is frickin huge! :D

Finally, a mobile device for real men... that looks BEEFY!! :up:

Phone? What phone? I don't see any phones, just a mock-up.
Also, the bigger tegras are to go into CE devices (e.g. set-top-boxes),
not phones.

[XC] Synthetickiller
01-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Tegra APX applications processors bring the power of visual computing to the palm of your hand, powering next-generation Microsoft Windows Mobile-based smartphones, portable navigation devices (PNDs), and portable media players (PMPs).

That's why I brought up the topic in the first place. Even if they can't get 1080p or 720, something relatively as powerful in a phone would be great. Honestly, I don't need a super small phone. A phone being as thick as this mock up device would not be a turn off, to me at least.

cdawall
01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
hopefully we get a Verizon version of this i will check with the AT&T and verizon reps at my work and see if they have any info on it

Serpentarius
01-22-2009, 07:47 PM
looks like Nvidia is going for various sectors ... i wonder if they'll able to retain their high standards, or just another Apple

Mungri
02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
*Droooooooolzzz*

Me want new shiny!

Being Nvidia, I am sure that the standard will be very high. It would be great if we could get mobile phones with this Tegra chip, maybe we'll have stuff like that in 2010, 1080i video capture and playback mobile phones!

*Wipes wet chin*
Imagine the day when you will be able to play MMOG's on mobile devices like this.

benko
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
only WM problem is speed, it has some lags :(

hope that they will speed it up in 6.5 version

[XC] leviathan18
02-07-2009, 10:58 PM
if they dont score Nokia they are doomed

r0lfi
11-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Have this phone come out yet?

Frank M
11-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Have this phone come out yet?

Still not :(
Hopefully next year (told ya Q2 2009 was way too optimistic :p: )

At least the first Qualcomm Snapdragon pdas are getting launched, being
based on a newer ARM core (Cortex A8) instead of the venerable ARM11
used in almost all pdas and smartphones for years (except the new iphone
3GS and Palm Pré, which also use the A8), they should also provide a boost
in speed and performance.