PDA

View Full Version : BloodRage: Where is the FrontPanel Audio Header?

saaya
01-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Several people already contacted me and said they cant find the IFPA or Intel Front Panel Audio header on their BloodRage board, to connect the front panel of their case to the board so they can plug in speakers or headsets on the front of the case and dont have to work their way to the back of the board.

Well, the reason you are having difficulty finding it on the board is because it doesnt exist...
Its on the Sonar X-Fi Soundcard :D

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2059/76771811pl2.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8685/10921907ph2.jpg

Note: There are two types of Front Panel Audio Connectors, the older AC97 connector and the newer Intel HD Audio connector.
They use different pinouts and are not compatible! All recent cases should have an IFPA or Intel HD Audio Front Panel header.

AC-97 Front Panel Audio
1. MIC
2. AUD_GND
3. MIC_BIAS
4. AUD_GND
5. FP_OUT_R
6. FP_RETURN_R
7. AUD_5V
8. KEY
9. FP_OUT_L
10. FP_RETURN_L

Intel HD Front Panel Audio
1. PORT 1L
2. GND
3. PORT 1R
4. PRESENCE#
5. PORT 2R
6. SENSE1_RETURN
7. SENSE_SEND
8. KEY
9. PORT 2L
10. SENSE2_RETURN

gr8golf
01-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Doh! :d

ilsant0
01-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi,
im waiting a bloodrage mobo and it was love at first time....
but, i need to connect the audio to front panel of the case.
So i ask you sir, because on the photo that you've posted, i see some pins under the cd audio connector, those pins are marked as "F_AUDIO".
Now the scheme of those pins are similar to ac 97'/HD audio header and looks like the Intel HD Audio Compatible Front Panel Header (2x5 pin).
Indeed this header is on ALL creative X-Fi card.
If aren't it the pins for Front Audio, what kind of pins are it?
I had download from the foxconn's site the bloodrage manual about this, and i believe that f_audio connector are the pin for ac 97/hd audio header of the frontal connectors of case.
Can you confirm it??
Excuse me for my insistence and thank you in advance

BenchZowner
01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
That's what Saaya is talking about ilsant0.
The Front Panel Audio header aka AC97 Header is there, on the Foxconn Sonar X-Fi sound card.
You have to connect the cables from the Front Panel Audio Connectors to the AC97 header on the Sonar X-Fi.

ilsant0
01-26-2009, 01:16 PM
ops...my mistake...just returned from work and i was too tired

SAE
01-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I was one of the peeps contacting Bill and Sascha^^. I knew it was on the X-Fi, but not if it's AC97 or Intel HD standard. I still do not know. One thing I know for sure: the X-Fi cards from Creative do have an Intel HD-compatible F-Audio connector on them.

ilsant0
01-27-2009, 03:48 AM
Yeah, I was one of the peeps contacting Bill and Sascha^^. I knew it was on the X-Fi, but not if it's AC97 or Intel HD standard. I still do not know. One thing I know for sure: the X-Fi cards from Creative do have an Intel HD-compatible F-Audio connector on them.

Usually from bios you can select the type of output (AC97 or Intel HD).
Maybe some bloodrage owner can help us

Edit:
Then, on bloodrage manual (V.1.0), at page 38 there is the OnBoard Device screenshot in wich is present the "HD Audio Controller Enable/Disable". So will it be Hd intel capable??

BenchZowner
01-27-2009, 05:46 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the pin count and functions are different, so it's either a AC97 header or a HD Audio header.
This one's a AC97 header if I'm not mistaken.

saaya
02-06-2009, 01:02 AM
That's what Saaya is talking about ilsant0.
The Front Panel Audio header aka AC97 Header is there, on the Foxconn Sonar X-Fi sound card.
You have to connect the cables from the Front Panel Audio Connectors to the AC97 header on the Sonar X-Fi.
exactly, thanks bill! :toast:

i renamed the title of the thread and edited the post and added AC97 since thats how some cases call this connector instead of FP or F audio :)

If I'm not mistaken, the pin count and functions are different, so it's either a AC97 header or a HD Audio header.
This one's a AC97 header if I'm not mistaken.
yes, should be either the one or the other, both use a 5x2 connector but the pinout is different. i didnt know this was so confusing... :P
We use the Intel HD audio bus to connect the card to the chipset/cpu, but i didnt know there are different specs for the front panel audio connector as well... you never stop to learn :D

Let me check if its AC97 or Intel HD :)
Does anybody know what the difference is?
Its just an extention so we dont need super long cables for our headsets and mics and can plug them in at the front of the case, right?
then why did they change the pin assignemnt and made a new spec?

BenchZowner
02-06-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the HD Audio connector idea/implementation from Intel allows you to use both the front panel connectors and the connectors on the card, while with the AC97 connector if you connect the front panel ( case ) connectors, the corresponding outputs on the card are disabled.

saaya
02-06-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the HD Audio connector idea/implementation from Intel allows you to use both the front panel connectors and the connectors on the card, while with the AC97 connector if you connect the front panel ( case ) connectors, the corresponding outputs on the card are disabled.
ah makes sense... weird why they changed the pin layout though, that wouldnt have been necessary and renders older cases useless with new fp connectors :/

I checked with the engineers, its not AC97 its Intel HD audio Front Panel! :D

BenchZowner
02-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Nice, thanks for the confirmation ;)

saaya
02-06-2009, 02:15 AM
your welcome!
thanks so much for all your help bill! :toast:

BenchZowner
02-06-2009, 02:21 AM
My pleasure man ;)

p.s. Nice to have you back ;)

saaya
02-10-2009, 12:27 AM
thanks, its good to be back :)

SAE
02-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Narf, I just sleeved the wrong one... :p:

saaya
02-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Narf, I just sleeved the wrong one... :p:
so does your case have both, AC97 front panel and Intel HD front panel headers? mmhh i think ill put up a note in the first pos that they are not the same and not compatible :)

SAE
02-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Yep, my Lian Li PC-A17 has both on one cable. I just removed the plastic of the Intel HDA plug and fixed its pins using sticky tape. I am doing some re-sleeving work this weekend, cutting the AC97 plug as all the X-Fis apply to Intels HD standards.