PDA

View Full Version : Need help with tubing selection

skippy1729
01-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Most of my parts rounded up, radiators mounted in case and have one last hangup with tubing selection. I did several simulations (getting as close as possible to my hardware) with the xls spreadsheet Andrea_V8x. It suggests a temperature rise of 36 deg C at my anticipated maximum load; negligible flow difference in 3/8 vs 1/2 id tubing; 4.35 psi pressure drop.

I was able to find some temperature/pressure ratings on Tygon 3603: 3/8 id x 5/8 od 30 psi @ 23 deg C, 3/8 id x 1/2 od 20 psi @ 23 deg C, 1/2 id x 5/8 od 10 psi @ 23 deg C. I know from a previous (disastrous) experience with a water cooled radio transmitter that the pressure rating of tygon falls off rapidly with increased temperature. It was long ago and far away, I don't remember the specific pressure or temp, but the tubing blew up like a balloon.

At the pressure I am going to run at does anyone know the safe maximum temp rating of either of the 3/8 tygon tubing? Or any of the other popular 3/8 tubing?
If you don't know the maximum, what is the max water temp you have run at without problems?

I did find some generic poly tubing 3/8 id x 5/8 od with an embedded nylon reinforced web at a local store for US$0.79 per foot. It is, however very stiff.

These are my two loops:

Loop 1: Danger Den TDX opteron 2350........Loop 2: Danger Den TDX opteron 2350
Koolance VID398-DX2 (9800GX2).......................Koolance VID398-DX2 (9800GX2)
Koolance VID398-DX2 (9800GX2).......................Koolance VID398-DX2 (9800GX2)
Liang DDC XSPC Res.top ........................................Liang DDC XSPC Res.top
HW Labs 360 GTX............................................... .......HW Labs 240 GTX
.................................................. ...........................................HW Labs 120 GTX

Thanks for any advice. Skippy :dog:

PS Do any of the premixed coolants or additives improve the heat transfer as opposed to distilled water?

shazza
01-08-2009, 08:19 PM
To answer the last question first ... distilled water (with a few drops of biocide) is the best coolant to use. The readily available premixed coolants generally are not as efficient for heat transfer as is water. Notice, I'm not saying there is NO coolant available that is better ... if you search you'll find some threads where people talk about more exotic fluids. But, for all practical purposes - distilled water is best. Doesn't mean you can't use premixed or dyes ... just that you may be giving up a tad bit of cooling potential.

Re the tubing ... somebody will respond to the technical details. I'll just say I think you are over analyzing the issue. Look at all the builds done with tygon, master clear, Feser, Danger Den, Primochill and other tubing. I doubt you're going to have any temp/pressure issues that the tubing can't handle.

Conumdrum
01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Your water temps in a regular loop will never ever even hit any temp ever to worry about reaching anything close to the tubing design limits. Ever. Ever.

Or pressures, it's MUCH less PSI, and even flow rates rarely climb above 2.0 GPM. It's all we need.

The stiff tubing you mention not to mention the amount of leaching plasicizer in that tubing is reason enuff to stay away from it. There is reason we have migrated and so has the retailers to certain brands and make of tubing.

Your making it too complicated, but we do like that here at XS. I think you are a great addition to the XS group, but for now, you ain't buildin a rocket ship. Go with the tubing sold at many of the retail places we recommend and ya will be golden.

Great places to buy WC stuff
http://www.dangerden.com/index.php [...] e&Itemid=1
http://www.petrastechshop.com/
http://www.jab-tech.com/

There are a few other places, these are my favs.

Lastly, is Martins spreadsheet avail for DL anywhere else now? The op could use it.

OP: Do you want loud fans on those rads? Or by getting a different rad you can have quiet and cooling?

LordEC911
01-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Lastly, is Martins spreadsheet avail for DL anywhere else now? The op could use it.
It is in the LC Info sticky, listing all the mirrors for the site.