PDA

View Full Version : Foxconn BloodRage BIOS Bugs/Changes/Additions Report/Request Thread

BenchZowner
01-08-2009, 06:32 AM
Since we already have a BIOS Issues & Bugs troubleshooting thread, I think it's the time to collect everyone's ideas, etc in order to get the BIOS fine-tuned and maybe add any missing options or implement new ideas if possible, etc.

BenchZowner
01-08-2009, 06:38 AM
BIOS Feature wishlist
PCI-Express BUS Frequency control
The ability to rename the OC Gear Profile Slot description
tRTW ( Read to Write Delay )
tRTR ( Read to Read Delay ) [ Same & Different Rank settings ]
tWTW ( Write to Write Delay ) [ Same & Different Rank settings ]
tWTR ( Write to Read Delay ) [ Same & Different Rank settings ]
tWTP ( Write to Precharge Delay )
tPTP ( Precharge to Precharge Delay )
tPTA ( Precharge to Activate Delay )
tPTREF ( Precharge to Refresh Delay )
RAM Static Read Control ( Is it supported on LGA1366 ? I'm not sure )
RAM Dynamic Write Control ( Is it supported on LGA1366 ? I'm not sure )
Allow the user to input all the memory timings & all the voltages manually ( Keyed-in with the NumPad )

BIOS Feature adjustment wishlist
Change the CPU Core Voltage ( Vcore ) setting from offset ( adding voltage ) to exact value setting ( instead of selecting how much voltage to add, select the exact voltage applied )
Change the CPU VTT (UnCore) Voltage setting from offset ( adding voltage ) to exact value setting ( instead of selecting how much voltage to add, select the exact voltage applied )

BIOS Setting renaming wishlist
Stagger Spinup Support ==> Staggered Spin-up [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
Hotplug capable port ==> HotPlug support [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
USB Storage Function ==> USB Legacy Support [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
ITE8720 FDC ==> Floppy Disk Controller [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
PPM ==> PPM ( Processor Power Management ) [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
- too long, ill check if we can add it in the description menu on the right side
EIST ==> EIST ( Intel Enhanced Speedstep Technology ) [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
- too long, ill check if we can add it in the description menu on the right side
Virtualization ==> Virtualization Technology [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
Hyper Threading ==> Intel HyperThreading Technology [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
CPU Core Voltage ==> CPU Core (Vcore) Voltage [ options = 1.19875V, 1.20875V, etc ]
- Do you think adding Vcore is really necessary?
CPU Vdroop Compensation ==> CPU Vdroop Elimination [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
- How about CPU Vdroop = Enabled/Disabled?
CPU VTT (UnCore) Voltage ==> CPU UnCore Voltage ( Vtt ) [ options = 1260mV, 1280mV, 1300mV, etc ]
Smart Boot Menu ==> Display the Boot Device Menu [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
CPU Turbo ==> Intel CPU Turbo Function [ options = Enabled or Disabled ]
System Turbo ==> System Configuration [ options = Auto or Manual ]
- No :P i like system turbo, or do you think its a really bad name?
Memory Bus Multiplier ==> DRAM Multiplier
Memory Bus Target Speed ==> DRAM Target Speed

Possible or Confirmed BIOS Bugs
1) It looks like the Voltage tables are f*ed up when you enable PPM ( in order to enable EIST which is required for Turbo Mode to work ).
With the BIOS CPU Voltage ( Vcore ) set to +100mV I get 1.515V real voltage in Full Load!
- The problem is that i7 dynamically changes the Vid on the fly, Intel is basically trying to force droop... we are working on a way to prevent ir or at least make it possible to adjust it and make the vcore vary less.

2) The tRAS ( Precharge Delay ) option isn't applying the exact timing that I set.
For example I set it to 23 and in Windows I notice that it's set to 21, and on the reboot in the BIOS it is also set to 21
The same thing happened when I set it to 15. It actually set it to 12.
The BIOS shows your setting, you save & exit, the board boots fine, but it's applying the wrong value ( 21 instead of 23, and 12 instead of 15 ).
I'll try some more values later on to see if it happens in every number or at some specific ones.
- G19 should fix this :)

3) I have a suspicion that the same thing happens with the tCL ( CAS Latency ) setting.
I was testing the RAM at 5-5-5-12 ( I set it to 15, but it looks that it sets it to 12 ) and I noticed that:
CPU-z v1.49 indicated that I was running tCL 6
Everest Ultimate v4.60 indicated that I was running tCL 6
Didn't try MemSet & CPU Tweaker, will do later on
- G19 should fix this :)

4) It looks like there's a "hole" in between 2.21V and 2.25V Memory Voltage.
2.21V works fine.
2.22V and 2.23V are giving me noPOSTs, and overclock recovery.
Gonna check it out again with both the G13 and the G15 BIOSes to confirm.

saaya
01-09-2009, 03:30 AM
wheeew, our bios engineers are gonna pass out if i show this to them ^^
thanks for collecting all this stuff bill, ill work on getting this done bit by bit, focussing on the bugs first of course.
PCIe ocing seperate for each slot isnt possible as far as i know, and overall pciE overclocking seems to be very limited with x58 unfortunately.

Touge180SX
01-13-2009, 04:08 AM
Saaya,

Any word if they plan on making it so that when Hyperthreading is enabled turbo still works at 100% load? If not, can they? Thanks! :up:

BenchZowner
01-13-2009, 04:14 AM
If you set it to Always On, it should stay at 1x Multiplier higher than your CPU's default multiplier all the time.
I'm 99% sure, but I'll check it out just to make sure :D

Touge180SX
01-13-2009, 05:03 AM
If you set it to Always On, it should stay at 1x Multiplier higher than your CPU's default multiplier all the time.
I'm 99% sure, but I'll check it out just to make sure :D

Could you please check and let me know because when I have Turbo always on and HT on it drops from 21x to 20x at 100% load. Thanks Bench! :up:

BenchZowner
01-13-2009, 05:44 AM
Could you please check and let me know because when I have Turbo always on and HT on it drops from 21x to 20x at 100% load. Thanks Bench! :up:

Ok.
Here's how it goes:

1) It looks like the Voltage tables are f*ed up when you enable PPM ( in order to enable EIST which is required for Turbo Mode to work ).
With the BIOS CPU Voltage ( Vcore ) set to +100mV I get 1.515V real voltage in Full Load!

2) The Turbo mode drops the multiplier to 20x ( from 21x ) whenever a core hits 95C temperature.

So... use the "Always On" Turbo Mode setting, and make sure you measure the Voltage you're feeding your CPU with a Digital MultiMeter, and make sure your CPU cores temperatures stay under 90C in Full Load.

p.s. That's with the G13 BIOS.
Gonna re-check with G15 & G16 later on.

BenchZowner
01-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Sascha, it looks like the CAS Latency setting in the G13 BIOS is bugged and doesn't set the value right, at least at 5T.
I will try the rest later on more than likely.
It looks like it's setting the tCL to 6 instead of 5.
Here's a screenshot:

http://i43.tinypic.com/286v1ox.jpg

Touge180SX
01-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Ok.
Here's how it goes:

2) The Turbo mode drops the multiplier to 20x ( from 21x ) whenever a core hits 95C temperature.

So... use the "Always On" Turbo Mode setting, and make sure you measure the Voltage you're feeding your CPU with a Digital MultiMeter, and make sure your CPU cores temperatures stay under 90C in Full Load.

p.s. That's with the G13 BIOS.
Gonna re-check with G15 & G16 later on.

I never hit over 65C at 100% load so I know that is not the problem. I will check with a multi at what VCore I'm getting at full load. Thanks Bench!

BenchZowner
01-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Sascha, it looks like the CAS Latency setting in the G13 BIOS is bugged and doesn't set the value right, at least at 5T.
I will try the rest later on more than likely.
It looks like it's setting the tCL to 6 instead of 5...

I did some further testing:

tCL = 5 in BIOS results in tCL 6
tCL = 6 in BIOS results in tCL 6 [ I have an idea, I'll check if going from 5 to 6 triggers the normal Save & Exit -> Shutdown -> Power On (POST) sequence as it should if it was actually changing the tCL setting ]
tCL = 7 in BIOS results in tCL 7
tCL = 8 in BIOS results in tCL 8
tCL = 9 ? Didn't test it, that's too slow for me :p: ( gonna try it tomorrow )

maxxx
01-26-2009, 05:16 PM
What's the BloodRage GTI? Difference? Sorry, can't read the text in the site Click here.... (http://www.donanimhaber.com/Foxconn_dan_Quantum_Force_serisi_yeni_anakart_Bloo drage_GTI-12580.htm)
From VR-Zone.... Click here... (http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=384842)

Raja@ASUS
01-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Essentially the same board. Only difference being no SAS ports and just the standard heatsink cooling assembly for the motherboard on the GTi. Hence a reduced intro price.

maxxx
01-28-2009, 03:29 AM
@raju: Cheers man. :up:

RealTelstar
01-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Essentially the same board. Only difference being no SAS ports and just the standard heatsink cooling assembly for the motherboard on the GTi. Hence a reduced intro price.

What about the quantum force control panel?

BenchZowner
01-29-2009, 10:24 AM
It's an optional component that you need to buy separately for both boards ( the BloodRage & the BloodRage GTI )

p.s. Keep the thread on-topic please.

Touge180SX
01-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Bench,

Are they still on G16 and if so has there been any news of a new release, hopefully with less bugs?

BenchZowner
01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Sascha is out of the office, and the latest BIOS I have received is the G16 unfortunately.
Hopefully they'll have a new BIOS for us soon.
Don't worry, I'm uploading the BIOSes as soon as they arrive in my mailbox and I'll post if a new one comes out ;)

Touge180SX
01-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Sascha is out of the office, and the latest BIOS I have received is the G16 unfortunately.
Don't worry, I'm uploading the BIOSes as soon as they arrive in my mailbox and I'll post if a new one comes out ;)

Thanks Bench! :up:

maxxx
01-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Guys, on the G13 bios. Does it always adjust the tRAS 1 step back? I set my G.Skills tRAS to 21, but after rebooting and going back to the bios, tRAS is set to 20.
Anyone notice this?

Cheers...

tripgood
01-29-2009, 04:19 PM

Standing by!:up:

tripgood
01-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Guys, on the G13 bios. Does it always adjust the tRAS 1 step back? I set my G.Skills tRAS to 21, but after rebooting and going back to the bios, tRAS is set to 20.
Anyone notice this?

Cheers...

That's an example of one of the known bugs that bench reported. My tRAS re-sets to 16 all by itself!

dengyong
01-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Anyone notice this?

Cheers...

Mine remains at the number I set with G13 bios. I shut it down every night.

maxxx
01-29-2009, 04:42 PM
That's an example of one of the known bugs that bench reported. My tRAS re-sets to 16 all by itself!
tripgood: thanks, it does it on the two sets of ram I have.

@denyong: Cheers man, got to try another set or memory so I can say its not the ram.

BenchZowner
01-30-2009, 03:44 AM
Anyone notice this?

Cheers...

The answer is standing out there in front of you:

2) The tRAS ( Precharge Delay ) option isn't applying the exact timing that I set.
For example I set it to 23 and in Windows I notice that it's set to 21, and on the reboot in the BIOS it is also set to 21
The same thing happened when I set it to 15. It actually set it to 12.
The BIOS shows your setting, you save & exit, the board boots fine, but it's applying the wrong value ( 21 instead of 23, and 12 instead of 15 ).
I'll try some more values later on to see if it happens in every number or at some specific ones.

BIOS Version: G13.
Gonna check again with G15 in a bit.

maxxx
01-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks Bench....

BenchZowner
01-30-2009, 04:08 AM
Mine remains at the number I set with G13 bios. I shut it down every night.

You're using a value that works ( 24T ).
Try 23T, 21T and you'll see :D

saaya
02-10-2009, 01:43 AM
actually ive seen an i7 drop down to stock multi with 75C already, it seems to depend on the cpu i think... or maybe it was current that made it drop, could be too...

thanks for keeping this thread alive bill! :toast:
ill send some fedback to the engineers now, most is already know and beeing worked on tho :)

saaya
02-10-2009, 04:31 AM
I went through the list and left comments in the first post, and removed the things that arent possible to this post:

BIOS Feature wishlist
(separate setting for each PCI-Express Slot)
- Not supported by the chipset, sorry...
Manual PCI-Express Slots Rate Configuration (having the ability to set the 3rd PCI-Express slot to 4x for example to support some PCI-E RAID Cards, etc)
- Not necessary, any x1 or x4 or x8 card can work in any x16 slot of the board :)
RAM Clock Skews (Separately for each channel)
- Not supported by the IMC as far as i know...
Shortcut Key ( F8 for example ) during POST to display the "Boot Device Menu Pop-up"
- Already exists, PrtSc aka Print brings up the Boot Device menu :D
If you want I can ask them to change it to F8 :)
Interrupt 19 Capture ( enable/disable ) in the BIOS, some RAID Cards need it for the user to be able to enter their configuration menu
- Are you sure we dont have this setting? Im pretty sure we have it in the boot options and legacy settings menu?
PCI Latency Clock control ( timer )
- Are you sure we dont have this setting? Im pretty sure we have it in the boot options and legacy settings menu?
RAM Drive Strength
- Not supported by the IMC afaik, the imc adjusts it automatically according to an internal routine and it cant be changed...
Memory Remap ( might be enabled by default on the Bloomfield IMC, I'm not sure ) [ if it is, then the setting is unnecessary obviously ]
- Yepp, enabled by default, i dont think its necessary to disable this as there is no advantage to having it disabled...

BIOS Setting renaming wishlist
CPU Clock Amplitude Ctrl ==> CPU Clock OverCharge [ options = 700mV, 800mV, 900mV, 1000mV ]
- Thats an Asus marketing Name... :D

4) The tRRD ( RAS to RAS Delay ) setting's minimum is 2T. 1T isn't supported on Bloomfield ?
- afaik only DDR2 supports 1T tRRD?

EnisDonKing
02-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Saaya, any ETA for a new BIOS?

BenchZowner
02-12-2009, 06:36 AM

I'd say a week or two approx.
Their BIOS engineers are probably busy playing darts with my photo on the wall :p:

EnisDonKing
02-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Hehe, your suggestions were most constructive and I'm sure Foxconn's engineers appreciate your input, as well as many future-owners of Blood Rage who will be happy to have mostly bug-free BIOS to play with.

Mayk-Freak
02-14-2009, 02:03 AM
When will the turbo bug be resolved? Asus had it managed, DFI and Gigabyte have it why Foxconn can't do it!

Idle

http://www.abload.de/img/1234aa4on.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=1234aa4on.jpg)

Load -200MHz

http://www.abload.de/img/aufzeichnfdgfgfdgdgfda7z85.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=aufzeichnfdgfgfdgdgfda7z85.jpg)

Mayk-Freak
02-14-2009, 02:05 AM
With which BIOS does the setting come, that the TDP-Bug will be fixed and the Multi will hold the 21 by over 1,45 V V-Core?

Gigabyte has it

DFI LANparty UT X58-T3eH8 has it:
http://www.abload.de/img/dfiturbobug44pp.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dfiturbobug44pp.jpg)

Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 has it:
http://www.abload.de/img/turbolimitzaff.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=turbolimitzaff.jpg)

Foxconn Bloodrage need it too:
http://www.abload.de/img/turbofopxxcond5iu.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=turbofopxxcond5iu.jpg)

BenchZowner
02-14-2009, 12:40 PM
As far as I know the TDP Limit is already disabled.
I've punched 1.45V++ and the turbo multiplier stood still :)

NCspecV81
02-15-2009, 04:38 PM
mine doesnt.. my multi keeps changing underload no matter what power settings I disable. Does it under vista and xp both.

G18 right here!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XKECW452

r1ch
02-15-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure but I think that Foxconn have it as an option on the first BIOS screen with the cpu/uncore/ddr3 multi's

CPU Turbo Mode
- Disabled
- Enabled
- Always on

I think the third one should fix it, although I get x21 with it just set to 'enabled' on watercooling. You can also get x22 if you drop down to 1 core, but i found this multi to be less stable than x21. I found a way of fixing the turbo mode multi on the 965xe which was to go into CPU Feature and set both the TDP limits to 'Enabled' but with the highest value. '32672' or something like that.

I have got 4.4-4.5Ghz out of my 920 as well now, time to test on phase. Anyone been over 220bclk on 21 multi on the board?

dengyong
02-15-2009, 05:46 PM
mine doesnt.. my multi keeps changing underload no matter what power settings I disable. Does it under vista and xp both.

G18 right here!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XKECW452

Have you tried G18 ?

systemviper
02-15-2009, 05:54 PM
G18 interesting, have to try it.

The key to getting turbo on always is 2 fold.

#1 Enable PPM, But disable EIST and Cxe in cpu features.

#2 In CPU Turbo Mode, enable - Always on

This allows the board to use Power management to keep Turbo Mode Always on.

But you need to disable EIST and Cxe in cpu features. Because EIST is why your multi is always all over the place.

I report back on G18

NCspecV81
02-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Have you tried G18 ?

Yeah I have, but I have gremlins in my bloodrage. I can't use more than 1 stick of ram. =o\. It's like that for all the bioses.

systemviper
02-15-2009, 06:02 PM
were you able to get that turbo always on?

NCspecV81
02-15-2009, 06:12 PM
were you able to get that turbo always on?

regardless of which bios I had to use the fix above with setting the tdp and tdc values to like 32767.

saaya
02-16-2009, 02:47 AM
if you cant wait then pm me your email address, G19 is already beeing tested, i sent it out to a few people and it seems to work very well :)

I'd say a week or two approx.
Their BIOS engineers are probably busy playing darts with my photo on the wall :p:more likely a picture of me hehe :D

Mayk-Freak and everybody else with this problem, all those bios options on the other boards do is set a certain max tdp and tdc value. we a ONE button feature like that but rather let you experiment with different values.

afaik gigabyte is setting 150W for tdp and 130A for current for example.
on BloodRage the tdp and tdc values are in 1/8A and 1/8W steps, so if you set it to tdp=1200W and tdc=1040A you should have turbo on at all times :)
Some people reported that setting it to the max value works as well :)
and you dont have to disable EIST btw :D

Hope that helps, if it doesnt then let me know! :toast:

xXlAinXx
02-16-2009, 08:23 AM
CPU FAN CONTROL - By Duty Cycle // Seems broke, fan will always run at maximum speed - 3 PIN Connector.
Dunno if the controller was designed to work only if 4 PIN pad is connected, anyway would be cool have in next bios release PWM controlled fan like NB - SYS also on CPU.

G19 - Delta 4000 RPM FAN :rotf:

Edit:
* Probably is a bit too much ask for one personal dynamic fan control profile, something like the old nForce motherboard, where u can select the operating range?:p:

if temp > 60°C, set fan speed 90%
if temp < 45°C, set fan speed 65%

Best regards

:cat:

saaya
02-16-2009, 10:52 PM
CPU FAN CONTROL - By Duty Cycle // Seems broke, fan will always run at maximum speed - 3 PIN Connector.
Dunno if the controller was designed to work only if 4 PIN pad is connected, anyway would be cool have in next bios release PWM controlled fan like NB - SYS also on CPU.

G19 - Delta 4000 RPM FAN :rotf:

Edit:
* Probably is a bit too much ask for one personal dynamic fan control profile, something like the old nForce motherboard, where u can select the operating range?:p:

if temp > 60°C, set fan speed 90%
if temp < 45°C, set fan speed 65%

Best regards

:cat:

fanspeed by duty cycle is not broken, it just doesnt work with some 3pin fans on a 4pin connector. just use any of the 3pin connectors and it should work fine :) the cool and unique thing about BloodRage is that you can adjust the fanspeed on the fly, and in 1% steps, so you can adjust the fanspeed exactly to what you want it to be airflow, rpm or noise wise :D

i asked the bios guys about the smartfan option, its using 3 values, min, max and offset. min is the temperature value the fan will run at min speed or even stop spinning, max is the temp value where itll run full speed, and everything in between is calculated by an algorythm. then theres an offset value to move this algorythm curve up or down. i asked if we could add an option to change the offset or min and max values and if we have time they will do so in future :)

BenchZowner
02-20-2009, 10:34 AM
New "stable" ( P series ) BIOS from Foxconn.
Click here to download the P04 BIOS for the Foxconn BloodRage (http://www.benchzone.com/Downloads/BIOS/Motherboards/Foxconn/BloodRage/BloodRageP04.rar)

tripgood
02-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks Bill,
Can you see any differences with 19a?

BenchZowner
02-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Haven't had the opportunity to test it yet.
I just got back to my place two hours ago.
I might give it a go later on.

xXlAinXx
02-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Well, duo the P series I might state in note improvements.

Improvements are:
memory compatibility
cpu core multiplier improvements
several minor fixes to improve stability at high overclocks

I dont know which BIOS P04 is based on.
Let's wait Saaya for some details :p:

QUAD SLI still might have issue with it.

MpG
03-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Request: Would be nice if the board would allow vDimm changes of 0.01V below 1.60V, just like it does above. Right now (P06 bios), goes from 1.60--> 1.55. Maybe no benefit, but some sticks are pretty picky, and actually behave better with lower voltage. My own sticks scale slightly better as I go from 1.65V to 1.60V, and I'm finding myself wondering if another 0.01 or 0.02V less might make a difference. 1.55Vdimm is definitely too low, though.

saaya
03-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, duo the P series I might state in note improvements.

Improvements are:
memory compatibility
cpu core multiplier improvements
several minor fixes to improve stability at high overclocks

I dont know which BIOS P04 is based on.
Let's wait Saaya for some details :p:

QUAD SLI still might have issue with it.
P04 is based on G19, and so is P06, the latest one :)
P06 fixed turbo mode dropping to default multi with high vcore and high cpu clocks, and it improved S3 and S4 which now works fine even at high bclocks.

Request: Would be nice if the board would allow vDimm changes of 0.01V below 1.60V, just like it does above. Right now (P06 bios), goes from 1.60--> 1.55. Maybe no benefit, but some sticks are pretty picky, and actually behave better with lower voltage. My own sticks scale slightly better as I go from 1.65V to 1.60V, and I'm finding myself wondering if another 0.01 or 0.02V less might make a difference. 1.55Vdimm is definitely too low, though.thanks! great feedback! :toast:
ill talk to the bios engineers right away :)

EDIT: sorry mpg, its not possible to get finger steps below 1.60 without a hardware mod...

Stelios
03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Request : If it's possible to include odd & even multipliers of uncore (21x , 22x , 23x etc )