PDA

View Full Version : VGA/Chipset cooling.

kiyka
01-08-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't know very much about water cooling but I was wondering this.

I have a Cosmos s case with a single 120mm fan at the bottom of the case. Is there a small loop I could set up to just cool my chipset and 4870x2 (No cpu) on a single 120m rad? I don't want to spend much money, but this GPU is just so loud I can't really stand much more of it.

I don't care to cool the CPU my V8 is plenty fine for that.

(If this is not possible or just really not worth it I'm just going to save up and get a triple rad for top mount and cool the whole system.)

Spankyfart
01-08-2009, 12:53 AM
I'd save up and buy proper bits that will last.
It'll work though, not the greatest temps and also differs greatly what rad you would take.
I'd not put the chipset in the loop if you do.

lyl
01-08-2009, 01:13 AM
If want it to quiet it down, I think a single 120mm would cool a 4870 @ stock clocks

Why do you want to cool chipset if your CPU is on air?

kiyka
01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I want to cool the chipset because the Bloodrage chipset block looks so cool lol. It's a bit of my OCD kicking in. I really want to go to water cooling for the whole system but due to inexperience I'm just nervous about wrecking my whole system over a mistake.
I don't want one of those overpriced (mostly worthless) water cooling kits out there. So I guess I'll start researching to gauge what I'm going to need.

Is there a specific coolant one of you might recommend? I heard just distilled water with some PT nuke. (What about Pentosin G11 Coolant Additive?)

Also what pump might you recommend? I was looking at the Swiftech ones.

theseeker
01-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I want to cool the chipset because the Bloodrage chipset block looks so cool lol. It's a bit of my OCD kicking in. I really want to go to water cooling for the whole system but due to inexperience I'm just nervous about wrecking my whole system over a mistake.
I don't want one of those overpriced (mostly worthless) water cooling kits out there. So I guess I'll start researching to gauge what I'm going to need.

Is there a specific coolant one of you might recommend? I heard just distilled water with some PT nuke. (What about Pentosin G11 Coolant Additive?)

Also what pump might you recommend? I was looking at the Swiftech ones.

Just determine your budget and you will get all the help you need from the members here.

NaeKuh
01-08-2009, 04:14 PM
we need a set budget..

because theres a few of us that will go crazy unless you set a budget.

So if you want to save yourself from over recomendations, like Fesser MONSTA rad on san aces with RD-30 bling omg pwners 4TW.
you should set a budget. :up:

kiyka
01-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Quite honestly I'm looking for 300$ down. But Willing to pay at max 450$

Needs to be a triple RAD and needs to be able to fit in the Cosmos S case top mount. (I believe Danger Den's are the right ones.)

mattkosem
01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Quite honestly I'm looking for 300$ down. But Willing to pay at max 450$

Needs to be a triple RAD and needs to be able to fit in the Cosmos S case top mount. (I believe Danger Den's are the right ones.)

I'd get (from JAB-tech):
SKU5227. Scythe S-Flex Fan - SFF21E x3 - $38.85
SKU3712. Swiftech MCP655-B - $64.95
SKU3320. Swiftech MCR320-QP-K w/Metal Barbs - $55.95
SKU1513. Tygon R-3603 7/16" ID 5/8" x6 - $12.00
SKU43621. Swiftech Caldera 4870X2 - $129.95
SKU1827. Swiftech MCRES-Micro Rev 2 - $25.95

Total of 327 + shipping. You can save money if you get the XSPC Razor 4870X2, but it takes a bit of adjustment to get working perfectly. You could also run a T-Line instead of a res. Those two changes would cut over $50 off of the total cost. Pick your own clamps. Cheapo plastic ones are fine.

--Matt

kiyka
01-08-2009, 04:57 PM
I'd get (from JAB-tech):
SKU5227. Scythe S-Flex Fan - SFF21E x3 - $38.85
SKU3712. Swiftech MCP655-B - $64.95
SKU3320. Swiftech MCR320-QP-K w/Metal Barbs - $55.95
SKU1513. Tygon R-3603 7/16" ID 5/8" x6 - $12.00
SKU43621. Swiftech Caldera 4870X2 - $129.95
SKU1827. Swiftech MCRES-Micro Rev 2 - $25.95

Total of 327 + shipping. You can save money if you get the XSPC Razor 4870X2, but it takes a bit of adjustment to get working perfectly. You could also run a T-Line instead of a res. Those two changes would cut over $50 off of the total cost. Pick your own clamps. Cheapo plastic ones are fine.

--Matt

I think Swiftech uses 17m hole spacing which wont fit in the Cosmos S. (I'd rather not have to drill.)

I know Danger Den rads work. (Has to have 15m hole spacing.)
Are there any Danger Dens worth picking up?

mattkosem
01-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Sure, check this one out: http://jab-tech.com/Black-Ice-GT-stealth-360-Black-pr-3418.html

--Matt

kiyka
01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
So would that and all the previous listed items work together? (What size tubing do I need for this setup?)

I'm reading about LC now in the forums trying to learn as much as I can before I go off and start getting the parts. Last thing. Should I invest in real/decent clamps or would zip ties do the job?

mattkosem
01-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Yes they will. There's 7/16" tubing in the list there, just swap the MCR out for that Black Ice rad. I wouldn't use zip ties for a first WC setup.

--Matt

kiyka
01-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Is there a CPU block that's super OP 755 socket or should I just pick one of the 1366 blocks up?

Bloodrage can mount either.

lyl
01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Is there a CPU block that's super OP 755 socket or should I just pick one of the 1366 blocks up?

Bloodrage can mount either.

Nope. Most 1366 users are using blocks from 775 boards just w/ new mounting hardware. I'm not sure if the 1366 mounting is better however.

Conumdrum
01-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Heres' the issue. Your mentioning doing the NB and the GPU (a very hot one, meaning heat wattage generated). A 320 (meaning a 3 120mm fan rad) rad will cool those fine. You add a hot processor your starting to push the capabilities of that rad. A rad depending on ambient temps and fans can only do so much. You also mentioned noise from the GPU, yea, it's loud so maybe noise is a big factor for you. All of these come into play when you work up a WC loop. Any rad will do better with faster fans, losing the benefit of one of the best parts of WC. Overclocks and quiet.

If you buy the GTZ swiftech block (recommended) you'll add a bit more heat than you want methinks. If you do add the rad and are a overclocker your temps will be 'just' aceeptable unless your room ambient temps are about 20C. Make sure your rad gets outside case air, no doubt about that. Just acceptable means your GPU and NB will have great temps, but you might need to back off on the OC (especially volts) to have aceptable CPU temps. Take into account your summer temps too.

We'll build ya a solid loop, but your close to pushing the heat capabilities of ANY 320 rad with a CPU/NB/4870x2 GPU. One more time, it will work, but depending on your load CPU temps you might not get your max CPU overclocks, maybe a bit less than you want.

If you got a great aftermarket air cooler already on the CPU and the temps are great, just go with your original post. GPU/NB for WC. It WILL be much quieter.

MpG
01-08-2009, 09:19 PM
I think Swiftech uses 17m hole spacing which wont fit in the Cosmos S. (I'd rather not have to drill.)

I know Danger Den rads work. (Has to have 15m hole spacing.)
Are there any Danger Dens worth picking up?
Swiftech rads use 15mm hole spacing as well. You're probably looking at older Swiftech specs, which say 17mm. I've got Swiftech dual and triple rads, and I can vouch that they both use 15mm hole spacing. And if noise is your concern, the Swiftech rads are better designed to take advantage of lower-speed fan.

If you do WC the CPU as well, I'd recommend the 1366 mounting kit, since the it should avoid the CPU socket backing plate properly. But you could probably make the 775 kit work without too much trouble as well. The backing plate is what's important.

kiyka
01-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Heres' the issue. Your mentioning doing the NB and the GPU (a very hot one, meaning heat wattage generated). A 320 (meaning a 3 120mm fan rad) rad will cool those fine. You add a hot processor your starting to push the capabilities of that rad. A rad depending on ambient temps and fans can only do so much. You also mentioned noise from the GPU, yea, it's loud so maybe noise is a big factor for you. All of these come into play when you work up a WC loop. Any rad will do better with faster fans, losing the benefit of one of the best parts of WC. Overclocks and quiet.

If you buy the GTZ swiftech block (recommended) you'll add a bit more heat than you want methinks. If you do add the rad and are a overclocker your temps will be 'just' aceeptable unless your room ambient temps are about 20C. Make sure your rad gets outside case air, no doubt about that. Just acceptable means your GPU and NB will have great temps, but you might need to back off on the OC (especially volts) to have aceptable CPU temps. Take into account your summer temps too.

We'll build ya a solid loop, but your close to pushing the heat capabilities of ANY 320 rad with a CPU/NB/4870x2 GPU. One more time, it will work, but depending on your load CPU temps you might not get your max CPU overclocks, maybe a bit less than you want.

If you got a great aftermarket air cooler already on the CPU and the temps are great, just go with your original post. GPU/NB for WC. It WILL be much quieter.

I have 4, 110CFM fans (Slipstreams) as my exhausts. (I would use 3 of them on the rad to pull air from the outside of the case through the rad.)

Even on the highest RPM their sound combined is less than the 4870x2 GPU on 50% fan speed. >.>

I was thinking of going with the Black Ice GTX 360 Radiator with those fans and the rest of Matt's recommended components with; Pentosin G11/distilled, 5/8 clamps, Anti-Kink Coils 5/8", and D-tek Fuzion V2 or the best 1366 block when I order. (It will be a bit, have to re cope from the x58 upgrade heh.)

kiyka
01-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Unless I can do the 4870x2/NB for less than 150$ quite honestly It's not worth the money. Might as well just drop the full amount on a solid high performance loop.

Waterlogged
01-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Slipstreams are horrible rad fans. They lack the proper static pressure for anything other than moving air into and out of a case.

Conumdrum
01-08-2009, 09:40 PM
It sounds doable, only you can decide if the temps are good enuff. Some here say a 220 sized rad isn't enough for best temps on a massive OC on a i7 in a solo loop. Putting a 320 on a i7/NB/4870x2? Only you can say if ya are happy. Try it, let us know, we always want new input on what peeps are able to do.

If it's too hot just add more. We always add more......:)

Saw your last post. No way under $150 for the NB/GPU. Block alone is over $100 for GPU, $40 for NB, pump $50+, rad $50+ and etc like tubing fans and clamps.

mattkosem
01-09-2009, 07:53 AM
You need to decide what you're looking to cool. You asked for a loop to cool your NB and GPUs, and I gave you one. If you want to cool the CPU, the loop will need to change. That rad will not be adequate for an i7, 4870 X2 and a NB. What exactly is it that you're looking to cool?

--Matt

kiyka
01-09-2009, 08:46 AM
You need to decide what you're looking to cool. You asked for a loop to cool your NB and GPUs, and I gave you one. If you want to cool the CPU, the loop will need to change. That rad will not be adequate for an i7, 4870 X2 and a NB. What exactly is it that you're looking to cool?

--Matt

Initially I was looking for just a gpu/chipset loop, however as the prices add up it's starting to look a lot easier to just get an entire loop going and paying the full instead of spending 2/3rds the money for just the gpu/nb.

I want to cool;

Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
4870x2 (Stock volt/mhz)
Bloodrage chipset (Have waterblock.)

I have room in the case for 1 top mount triple rad (Danger Den)
As well as two 120m fan mounts one in the back and one at the bottom.

I don't know if this would be possible but could I drop a tri rad and slip two 120m rads into the loop on one pump?

With the loop something like: (320m rad - cpu - 120m rad - nb -gpu- 120m rad - res -pump.)

I'm more than willing to tolerate sound since I blast dual 4 foot Cerwin Vega AT-15's all day anyway. ;)

warriorpoet
01-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Initially I was looking for just a gpu/chipset loop, however as the prices add up it's starting to look a lot easier to just get an entire loop going and paying the full instead of spending 2/3rds the money for just the gpu/nb.

I want to cool;

Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
4870x2 (Stock volt/mhz)
Bloodrage chipset (Have waterblock.)

I have room in the case for 1 top mount triple rad (Danger Den)
As well as two 120m fan mounts one in the back and one at the bottom.

I don't know if this would be possible but could I drop a tri rad and slip two 120m rads into the loop on one pump?

With the loop something like: (320m rad - cpu - 120m rad - nb -gpu- 120m rad - res -pump.)

I'm more than willing to tolerate sound since I blast dual 4 foot Cerwin Vega AT-15's all day anyway. ;)Rads with 15mm spacing: HWLabs rads (BI Pro, BI Extreme, GT Stealth, GT Extreme), Feser, Swiftech MCR QP, XSPC

In other words, don't limit yourself when you don't have to :)

Personally, I'd run two loops:

1st
CPU: Swiftech GTZ
Nb: pick yer block
Rad: Swiftech MCR320
Pump: MCP355 w/ XSPC top
T-line

2nd
GPU: 2x MCW60 rev.2 + Caldera heatsink
Rad: Swiftech MCR120
Pump: Swiftech MCP355 (top optional)
T-Line

This will keep the heat-killing where it's needed (GPUs aren't as temp-sensitive) and still leave you with adequate case flow to cool everything else. Shouldn't be TOO $, either (unless you start blingin' with the BP stuff ;))

If you're going one pump/ one loop, do the above with an XSPC res top. Your CPU temps will be better dual-loop, but I can understand you wanting to run a single to start.

kiyka
01-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Ok so that's helping a lot, I'm going to break the loops up. That allows me more flexibility as well as the ability to try out a smaller loop before I stick my CPU in there.

Question:
Can I put the NB on the GPU loop if I use this?

Danger Den Black Ice GTX Xtreme 120 Radiator - Black

Swiftech MCP655-B™ 12v Water Pump

Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev. 2 Small Form Factor / High-Flow Reservoir

7/16"ID 5/8" OD

Caldera GPU block, and Bloodrage NB block.

T line or Reservoir other than space and refill ability does it matter?

mattkosem
01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Ok so that's helping a lot, I'm going to break the loops up. That allows me more flexibility as well as the ability to try out a smaller loop before I stick my CPU in there.

Question:
Can I put the NB on the GPU loop if I use this?

Danger Den Black Ice GTX Xtreme 120 Radiator - Black

Swiftech MCP655-B™ 12v Water Pump

Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev. 2 Small Form Factor / High-Flow Reservoir

7/16"ID 5/8" OD

Caldera GPU block, and Bloodrage NB block.

T line or Reservoir other than space and refill ability does it matter?

I sure wouldn't. You'll have terrible temps with even just the X2 on a GTX 120. I wouldn't run anything less than a double 120mm rad for that card. If you shoot for a double, adding the NB on should be no problem.

T-Line v.s. reservoir is a matter of preference. For a first loop, the res will be easier.

--Matt

warriorpoet
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I sure wouldn't. You'll have terrible temps with even just the X2 on a GTX 120. I wouldn't run anything less than a double 120mm rad for that card. If you shoot for a double, adding the NB on should be no problem.

T-Line v.s. reservoir is a matter of preference. For a first loop, the res will be easier.

--Matt
Hm. I don't think the x2 by itself would be that bad. Better than air, and quieter, at least. Definitely not with another block, though, you're right.

I'm trying to think how else he's going to fit all that in there without serious modding. Maybe a 220 on a radbox for the GPU/ Nb...

Heck, here's an x2 plus CPU on one 120: http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=274&grp=3
review: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/12/19/sapphire-ati-radeon-hd-4870x2-atomic-review/1

kiyka
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Ok so I think I got this figured.

I'm going to start with a cpu/nb loop with a 320rad, 3 Yate Loons pulling and 3 slipstreams up top pushing air down.
Danger Den 1366 water block,
Swiftech pump, reservoir.

Last question for 1/2" ID should I use 1/2" id tubing or 7/16" id, 5/8"OD?

How many feet of tubing needed to do both loops? (top rad>cpu>nb>resvoir>pump>top rad)
+
(bottom rad>pump>x2>bottom)

^ T line.

mattkosem
01-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Ok so I think I got this figured.

I'm going to start with a cpu/nb loop with a 320rad, 3 Yate Loons pulling and 3 slipstreams up top pushing air down.
Danger Den 1366 water block,
Swiftech pump, reservoir.

Last question for 1/2" ID should I use 1/2" id tubing or 7/16" id, 5/8"OD?

How many feet of tubing needed to do both loops? (top rad>cpu>nb>resvoir>pump>top rad)
+
(bottom rad>pump>x2>bottom)

^ T line.

I wouldn't use yates in a spot where they would be mounted horizontally(top fans). You'll be replacing them every couple of months. Scythe S-Flex fans are a good fit for a spot like that (unless you have room for ultra kazes). Don't bother with the slipstreams on the rad either. If you want push/pull, the fans should match. It looks fine otherwise. I'd go with a GTZ before a Danger Den CPU block, but you won't notice an earth shattering difference either way. With 1/2" barbs, 7/16" ID 5/8" OD tubing will be good and tight. I'd WAY over estimate tubing for your first loop. It seems like it's common to have to cut runs of tubing multiple times to get them right on the first WC rig. Maybe 10-12 feet would leave you enough length for a few mess-ups.

I'd arrange the second loop as:
bottom rad>x2>t-line>pump>bottom rad

--Matt