PDA

View Full Version : Immediate H20 Advice Needed!

theseeker
01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
The new MB will be here tomorrow and I have been reconsidering my approach to H20 cooling. After many years of low-flow and small tubing, I am considering a bigger plunge. Please refer to my sig below. I am considering the following and items in italics require your input!

This will be accomplished with 1/2" ID Barbs & 3/8" ID-5/8" OD tubing-Thanks BA!
CPU Block-Aqua Di-no discussion here
GPU 2xEK-FC280 GTX SLI
RAD Feser 360 or 480 or 2x240-I have plenty of room in the bottom
Pump-I have only used Aqua in the past and I am considering the Aquastream Ultra, Uber 655 and the Laing Ultra
RES EK-Multioption RES 400 Rev. 2

I would like to utilize my Aquaero if possible with the pump. I feel no need to cool the chipset based upon my previous experience. While I am a big supporter of dual loops, I would prefer to go single this time if possible.
I should have enough room to go dual but it will be a very tight fit. This rig has to last me for a few months until the M|M guys can get me the ULTIMATE RR RIG.:up: You out there Charles?
LMK what you think as I need to order tomorrow!
I am open to all suggestions.TIA:welcome:

SiGfever
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
The new MB will be here tomorrow and I have been reconsidering my approach to H20 cooling. After many years of low-flow and small tubing, I am considering a bigger plunge. Please refer to my sig below. I am considering the following and items in italics require your input!

This will be accomplished with 1/2" ID Barbs & 3/8" ID-5/8" OD tubing-Thanks BA!
CPU Block-Aqua Di-no discussion here
GPU 2xEK-FC280 GTX SLI
RAD Feser 360 or 480 or 2x240-I have plenty of room in the bottom
Pump-I have only used Aqua in the past and I am considering the Aquastream Ultra, Uber 655 and the Laing Ultra
RES EK-Multioption RES 400 Rev. 2

I would like to utilize my Aquaero if possible with the pump. I feel no need to cool the chipset based upon my previous experience. While I am a big supporter of dual loops, I would prefer to go single this time if possible.
I should have enough room to go dual but it will be a very tight fit. This rig has to last me for a few months until the M|M guys can get me the ULTIMATE RR RIG.:up: You out there Charles?
LMK what you think as I need to order tomorrow!
I am open to all suggestions.TIA:welcome:

If 1/2" barbs why not 7/16"id x 5/8"od tubing? Fits very well when heated with boiling water and only requires tie-wraps to seal. A DDC-3.2 with an XSPC top is a good choice also. You will need a good pump with that CPU block.

theseeker
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
If 1/2" barbs why not 7/16"id x 5/8"od tubing? Fits very well when heated with boiling water and only requires tie-wraps to seal. A DDC-3.2 with an XSPC top is a good choice also. You will need a good pump with that CPU block.

I am going with BA's advice on the barb and tubing size. I like the look of no ties or clamps. Thanks for the pump suggestion! I intend to order everything tomorrow for overnight delivery. I miss the big computer!

atomic ferret
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Presuming you are cooling the rig in your sig, a Feser quad might do the trick if you don't want to do two loops.

Edit: Good luck trying to get 3/8" tubing on to 1/2" barbs. Go 7/16" and use clamps.

theseeker
01-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Presuming you are cooling the rig in your sig, a Feser quad might do the trick if you don't want to do two loops.

That's the one and I would prefer a single loop but the I7 generates a huge amount of heat. I know that you know that, but what would you do?

I have been practicing the 3/8" and 1/2" barb thanks to BA. It works, but it is a PITA!

theseeker
01-05-2009, 09:13 PM
What no critiques or suggestions?

shazza
01-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Seems to me you've got everything covered. I'm partial to dual loops, but you said you preferred to go single in this build. Nothing says you can't add a second loop down the road if you decide to.

The debate I'd be having with myself is with the video cards ... nothing wrong with the 280s, just that ol' "to wait, or not to wait" issue since new cards are around the corner.

theseeker
01-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Edit: Good luck trying to get 3/8" tubing on to 1/2" barbs. Go 7/16" and use clamps.

Seems to me you've got everything covered. I'm partial to dual loops, but you said you preferred to go single in this build. Nothing says you can't add a second loop down the road if you decide to.

The debate I'd be having with myself is with the video cards ... nothing wrong with the 280s, just that ol' "to wait, or not to wait" issue since new cards are around the corner.

Thanks but I already have the VC's, just looking for advice regarding the H20 parts.

BlueAqua
01-05-2009, 09:44 PM
My recommendation.

Feser 120.3 and 120.2. 5 Scythe S-flex fans, 3 G's, 2 F's. You can run the 3 G speed fans on each channel of the Aquaero and piggy back both of the F fans on the other channel.
D5 based pump, probably with a decent top so that you can use regular barbs on it. Install this just where it is in my build, worked out great.

I think you have the rest figured out really well. I am cooling my entire setup all on a 120.3. (Core i7 920 @ 4.1Ghz, 4870x2, R2E chipset) I really love my setup now and if I had to do it all over again I'd install a second radiator in the loop, but it's not really too bad now.

For the tubing definitely get the DD-TFC tubing Danger Den sells. It's the best tubing I've ever seen. I'm sure ShoNuff can attest to that too. Use Bitspower 1/2"ID barbs too, they grip really well.

Oh, also use the Bitspower temperature sensor in the res and you can control fan speed based on water temp. That's what I'm doing now and it's working as intended.

shazza
01-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks but I already have the VC's, just looking for advice regarding the H20 parts. Oops ... missed the fact that it was only the GPU blocks in italics in the first post, wasn't trying to question the parts you already have.

Hope you do a work log on this project.

fox3
01-06-2009, 06:35 AM
My recommendation.

Feser 120.3 and 120.2. 5 Scythe S-flex fans, 3 G's, 2 F's. You can run the 3 G speed fans on each channel of the Aquaero and piggy back both of the F fans on the other channel.

Can't you put 3 G's (0.24A) or 4 F's (0.2A) on one channel of the Aquearo. The later AE's can handle 10W per channel and 30W MAX on all 4 channels.

Sorry if I am High Jacking, I was planning to put 4 F's on a single channel, @ 0.2A each that would be 9.6W, is this too close to the 10W constraint per channel considering startup surge?

theseeker
01-06-2009, 07:14 AM
My recommendation.

D5 based pump, probably with a decent top so that you can use regular barbs on it. Install this just where it is in my build, worked out great.

I think you have the rest figured out really well. I am cooling my entire setup all on a 120.3. (Core i7 920 @ 4.1Ghz, 4870x2, R2E chipset) I really love my setup now and if I had to do it all over again I'd install a second radiator in the loop, but it's not really too bad now.

For the tubing definitely get the DD-TFC tubing Danger Den sells. It's the best tubing I've ever seen. I'm sure ShoNuff can attest to that too. Use Bitspower 1/2"ID barbs too, they grip really well.

Oh, also use the Bitspower temperature sensor in the res and you can control fan speed based on water temp. That's what I'm doing now and it's working as intended.

Thanks BA what pump top do you recommend?

BlueAqua
01-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks BA what pump top do you recommend?

I think the variable D5 pump is good and as reliable as they get.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu.html

If you really want a little extra performance get a pump top for it. I liked the Detroit AC top here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DetroitAC-Pump-Top-for-the-Laing-D5-vario-pump_W0QQitemZ330281539404QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I have an Ek top and like it, but the Detroit AC top got a good review by skinnee.

theseeker
01-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for all of the help! I got everything ordered today.

MCP655 with EK top
AC Cuplex HD
EK Multioption Res with Temp Sesor and Anti Cyclon
FESER 480
2 EK 280 Nickel blocks
Scythe 120 G fans
Numerous Bitspower fittings
DD 3/8-5/8 Blue tubing

I am taking the old one apart and my new MB arrived today. I have decided to paint the midplate and everything else I can. The only thing I will not be doing is sleeving. I would like to but I am a little on the impatient side currently!