PDA

View Full Version : What should be the highest point in the system?

Henry8601
01-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I am trying to work out the layout for my system, and does it matter which part is at the highest point? The rad will be flat in the bottom if that helps, and I will be using a Ek multioption res.

crazy1323
01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
It doesnt really matter, my rule of thumb is to mount the res above the pump.

sniperbob
01-03-2009, 03:11 PM
and also to position components for short runs with tubing. It is easier for liquid to flow through 12 inches of tubing than it is to flow through 12 feet of tubing. (correct me if I'm wrong :shrugs: )

DavidNJ
01-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Kinda agree with KaptCrunch. Specifically I don't like the pump to be at the top, I think it should have a good column of water at its inlet when the system starts...no chance of sucking air.

Also, I don't like the CPU block on the top. I like it filled with water so their is some thermal capacitance before it starts flowing.

Sparky
01-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Kinda agree with KaptCrunch. Specifically I don't like the pump to be at the top, I think it should have a good column of water at its inlet when the system starts...no chance of sucking air.

Also, I don't like the CPU block on the top. I like it filled with water so their is some thermal capacitance before it starts flowing.

Shouldn't matter if the CPU block is at the top or not, once the system is filled up there won't be any air anyway :)

Eddie3dfx
01-03-2009, 03:59 PM
honestly it won't matter..
How often do you fill the resevoir. (unless you have an nvidia motherboard, which mean's it's filled every rma, 2x a month :)

Conumdrum
01-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Me! I want to be highest, pass it dude.

Sparky
01-03-2009, 06:08 PM
The higher the res is, and above the blocks, the easier it is to fill, bleed and drain. So try a keep that in mind, and design your loop around that idea. I always design mine so the full level in the res is above the blocks.

andyc

All it takes is one thing to be above and it becomes tough, that's for sure. My res is above everything except my rad. That makes it interesting.