PDA

View Full Version : A quick question

Sdammads
01-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Hello,

I'm still considering buying a XSPC Passiv Alu reservoir, yes a ALU reservoir.

I know that aluminium and copper isn't a good mixture, but...

It says: Anodized Aluminium, does that mean that it should be okay to use it with a copper watercooling block, or?

http://www.venomelectronic.co.uk/watercooling/reservoirs/xspc-500mm-black-passive-aluminium-reservoir-p-788.html?osCsid=t4hug0qkeoakioe4m3utn7b23je82fp7

Just thinks that it looks much better then other reservoirs, and its cooling very well.

Regard
Mads From Andersen "Sdammads"

Waterlogged
01-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Anodizing does nothing in preventing galvanic corrosion...and the cooling effect this res has on the loop is negligible at best. Only special "anti-corrosion" fluids have any effect and they are expensive and need to be replaced regularly to be effective.

theseeker
01-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Anodized AL is non conductive and depending upon the anodizing process used, it can be has hard as a diamond. I have mixed metals since I started H20 cooling five years ago. Many people do not like it but I have never had an issue. I use distilled H20 and an additive to keep things in check. Just my 2.

Sdammads
01-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Think I gonna stick with the EK reservoir...
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=613{4}17

It's awesome, but not very awesome when you got normale coolant with no UV cooler. =S

Still weird to make a reservoir of anodized alu, when it doesn't prevent corrosion.

Waterlogged
01-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Anodized AL is non conductive and depending upon the anodizing process used, it can be has hard as a diamond. I have mixed metals since I started H20 cooling five years ago. Many people do not like it but I have never had an issue. I use distilled H20 and an additive to keep things in check. Just my 2.

Hard coat ano is used where major mechanical wear resistance is required, it's also more expensive. For both of those reasons, I seriously doubt you'll ever see it on any WC part.

Think I gonna stick with the EK reservoir...
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=613{4}17

It's awesome, but not very awesome when you got normale coolant with no UV cooler. =S

Still weird to make a reservoir of anodized alu, when it doesn't prevent corrosion.

Well, plating is better than anodizing and we still saw corrosion on the Swiftech GTX which had 2 different plating operations done to them.

Sdammads
01-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Why can't they just make some coolant with UV that doesn't harm the system... -.-

Sdammads
01-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Hello,

I've not bought my watercooling system yet, because they haven't got the radiator on stock. But now they've got a new radiator, the Black Ice GT Xtreme 480.

What is best when using 4 x 110 cfm fans + 4 x 75 cfm fans, Black Ice GT Xtreme or TFC Xchanger 480?

I'm planning on getting 8 fans for a 480 radiator, 4 x 110 cfm fans are blowing air into the radiator and the 4 x 75 cfm fans er sucking the air out, does that increase the performence of the radiator?

atomic ferret
01-08-2009, 10:41 AM
The GTX might be better since your using high CFM fans, but wait for someone else to confirm/disagree.

Also, about the alu reservoir, I read an article (forgot where) that did a test that showed that using that reservoir lowers temps by less than 1 degree Celsius.

Chruschef
01-08-2009, 10:46 AM
the cooling effects of that reservoir are completely negligible, its really just to make you think its cool.

EK Res is much better, you'll be satisfied.

with 110CFM fans, your going to want a HWlab GTX line radiator. those fans are designed for high fin count, and the HWlab GTX radiator has exactly that, the TFC has less fins optimized for lower CFM fans.

Sadasius
01-08-2009, 10:47 AM
High CFM fans makes the GTX smile with great performance.

Sdammads
01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Think I'll go with a GTX 480 and 8 110 cfm fans. =D
These fans: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=5425
Maybe some Ultra Kaze 3000 rpm, but maybe that's too much of the good stuff and too much noise.

And this radiator: http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26_27&products_id=2469

EDIT:
But does the GTX 480 perform much better than the TFC Xchanger 480 when only using 110 cfm?

Chruschef
01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
the GTX480 is by far the better choice.

Sdammads
01-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Then I'll go with the GT Xtreme 480. =D
It's the one I linked for, right?

Chruschef
01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
yes it is.

read my previous post... the thing about fin count/spacing.

NaeKuh
01-08-2009, 03:21 PM
the GTX480 is by far the better choice.

if you dont value your hearing.

:rofl:

8 fans @ 110RPM = nascar speedway.

Hey OP i bet you wont notice a difference compared to the fesser, and the fesser would allow you to use low speed fans.

hellcamino
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Lmao, 8x110cfm fans on a GTX480 is better cooling than most cars have! It's also going to be significantly louder. IIRC that setup would be appropriate for about an 1800w load, I am planning on getting either a GTX480 or feser 480 for cpu-nb only but I will be running a pair of San Ace and a pair of Panaflo fans on it at 5v to keep it quiet ( I can't come up with another pair of San Ace fans atm or it would have 4). You might want to consider the load you will be putting on this radiator and tone down the fan speeds to try and save your hearing, if you aren't putting 600w or greater load into it you won't notice any difference in temps from the extra 150dba you are putting into it.

Chruschef
01-08-2009, 10:37 PM
if you dont value your hearing.

:rofl:

8 fans @ 110RPM = nascar speedway.

Hey OP i bet you wont notice a difference compared to the fesser, and the fesser would allow you to use low speed fans.

hey, i asked if he wanted silence or not :p:

.. he didn't specify if there was ever a limit on noise. so 8 110CFM fans with no limit on noise? who cares. :D:rofl:

Sdammads
01-09-2009, 02:02 PM
It's gonna sound like 56 dBA, if all fans are on full speed. But I'll maybe turn down the speed and that's why I've also chosen a Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus - Black
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1815
The Feser Xchanger 480 is 20 £ more expensive then a GTX 480.
I'm only gonna use the cooling for my CPU, but I'll soon expend it to CPU + MB, maybe GPU.
So wouldn't a GTX 480 be the right choice?

hellcamino
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I would say 4 ultra kaze, panaflo or san ace fans at 5v on either radiator would serve you very well, if you want the most versatility I would get the GTX480 as you can always crank the fans up for better heat dissipation if you put a large enough load on it to need it. Seriously though, 8 of those fans would sound like a lawn mower if run at 12v.

Sdammads
01-10-2009, 04:16 AM
I'll turn the fan speed down to about 80-90 cfm. I've used a so called dBA calculator and it says that the dBA level would be about 50 dBA if running all fans at 12v.
And if then dBA level is too high I could also remove 4 of the fans. That could work right?
Btw, thanks a lot for helping me. =D

hellcamino
01-10-2009, 05:03 AM
I'll turn the fan speed down to about 80-90 cfm. I've used a so called dBA calculator and it says that the dBA level would be about 50 dBA if running all fans at 12v.
And if then dBA level is too high I could also remove 4 of the fans. That could work right?
Btw, thanks a lot for helping me. =D

Trust me, 4 of those fans at 5v on a 4x120 rad will be overkill for an oc'd quad, nb and up to 4870X2 graphics card. If you were to decide to run a pair of 4870X2's along with oc'd quad and nb the 480 rad with those 4 fans at 5v would still be adequate.

How do I know do you ask? I am cooling a 4ghz quad, nb and a pair of 4870X2's with a pair of feser 240's and 4 panaflo fans at roughly 7v with good temps. My cpu doesn't exceed 40c while playing COD WaW or fallout 3 and neither do any of my 4 gpu's being cooled.

I am going to add a 480 rad for my cpu + nb and use the 2 240's to cool the cards so I can run all of my fans at 5v and have superb temps and relative silence.

Sdammads
01-10-2009, 05:35 AM
I'm also planning getting MB + GPU. But my budget allows me to use a GTX480, so why not. =P
But my look okay, right?

Laing D5 Vario with aftermarked EK rev.2 top
3/8 ID 1/2 OD hose + fittings
EK Multioptional 400 rev. 2 reservoir
8 Kaze J 1900 RPM 110 cfm 36 dBA
2 liters of des water + 4 drops of PT Nuke
XSPC Delta H20 v2.
Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus - Black fancontrol

RCG_Bex
01-10-2009, 05:51 AM
I've got the res, given to me by Paul from XSPC personally, and he gives his assurance that with a good coolant corrosion shouldn't occur. As much as he'd like to do a different material, it'd be far too expensive. I asked how much a copper one would e and he said probably ~£100! Now yeah, for the extremist that's gotta be cool but for now, I'm happy with mine. He always has his 500mm black 1 at his "test bench" and apparantly has been using it for years without any issues. He does of course recomend checking up on it regularly to make sure but as of yet with his, he's never had a problem. So hey ho, it matched my rig better than anything else so I was willing to be a guinea pig :P

~Bex