PDA

View Full Version : G11 problems...

Maxw
01-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I just got my Logitech G11 today, plugged it and nothing happens, I've instaled all the drivers etc!! I'm running XP on my desktop, but when I plug it into my laptop which is running Vista & install the drivers it works!

Any ideas to what's wrong & a solution to my problem?

Thanks,
Max

M31
01-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Try a different USB socket maybe? Does everything show up OK in device manager USB wise?

Maxw
01-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I've tried all my USB sockets. I'll have a look for the USB in the Device Manager, thanks.

M31
01-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Also if you are running a lot of USB devices try using a powered USB hub.

Maxw
01-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Well it's coming from the mobo, I'll take all my other devices out.

Maxw
01-03-2009, 02:51 PM
I can't see anything in device manager!
I really need to get this sorted.
Any ideas?

M31
01-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Sorry my friend, I'm out of ideas too, almost, what OS are you using? ... do you have a PCI USB card you could try? I've got an older P4 comp I built from parts won on Ebay and could not get any USB ports on it to work, bought a cheap PCI USB card and I was good to go.

If the keyboard works on your laptop, then it must be good to go? was your last keyboard USB? maybe check in BIOS for legacy USB keyboard support?

Very Strange problem you have there, maybe also try latest bios for your motherboard and try Logitech tech support, its the very best in the business.

Good Luck.

Maxw
01-03-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't have a PCI USB card so can't try that. Other things work in the same port so I don't think it can be that.

I think it must be something to do with my laptop running Vista and the Desktop running XP.

I'll go back into the store and ask for it to be exchanged and if they don't then I'll contact Logitech. I'll be getting the MX518 too :)

M31
01-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Before you do that, have a look in your bios options, have heard DFI bios's can be quite complicated and I'm not familiar with your board, check for USB keyboard stuff, you never know.

Maxw
01-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Well when it's plugged in and I start the computer it starts & boots windows but when it's unplugged then it wont boot and says no keyboard there or something so I guess that it knows it's a keyboard but i'll have a look around the BIOS...what sort of part will it be in?

M31
01-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Well when it's plugged in and I start the computer it starts & boots windows but when it's unplugged then it wont boot and says no keyboard there or something so I guess that it knows it's a keyboard but i'll have a look around the BIOS...what sort of part will it be in?

I've mainly used Asus boards for the past 5 years, but look for something like keyboard USB support, but it looks like you are on the right track, issue is not with your G11, pretty sure about that now.

I'd consider latest motherboard bios update too.

Are their any dedicated DFI support forums, or newsgroup?

Also try it with a PS/2 keyboard plugged in too, you can have as many keyboards as you want plugged in, if you get it working this way, its definitely a bios issue.

Maxw
01-03-2009, 03:55 PM
I'll look into updating the BIOS. It's annoying and I really can't be bothered to put a different motherboard in.

Should I take my G11 back or not?

I turned on LEGACY something but it didn't have keyboard in the name.
In the BIOS the USB Keyboard option is enabled.

This is very strange.

M31
01-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Was your last keyboard USB?

HuffPCair
01-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Does everything else work that is USB ?

Maxw
01-03-2009, 04:20 PM
My last keyboard was PS2 and yes, everything else works that's USB.

M31
01-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Have you tried booting up with your PS/2 keyboard in, and then plugging in your G11, this is essentially what happened when you tried it with your laptop, you don't need to install drivers at this stage, just see if it works. Even the led lights and normal keyboard functions work on my G-15's without drivers.

HuffPCair
01-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Then it must be XP for some reason. Try getting an adapter that takes USB to PS they are cheap also

http://sewelldirect.com/ps2tousb.asp

Maxw
01-03-2009, 04:31 PM
@M31, nothing happens. It's the same with my PS2 keyboard when I unplug it and plug it back in then it wont work and I have to re-boot to get it to work.

Usually when I boot with the G11 in the NumLock light is on so there is life in it.

HuffPCair
01-03-2009, 04:41 PM
@M31, nothing happens. It's the same with my PS2 keyboard when I unplug it and plug it back in then it wont work and I have to re-boot to get it to work.

Usually when I boot with the G11 in the NumLock light is on so there is life in it.

Its sometihng with Xp then. Have you tried uninstalling the drivers because even with out the drivers it should type and do all that good stuff. The drivers are just for the gaming part of it.

M31
01-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Maxw, have one last idea for you, should have thought of this before actually, its a long shot but worth a try.

Recently I could not boot up my computer but noticed because my board has a little LCD poster that shows the boot up process that it froze at the USB init part? I was totally confused, called a friend who suggested pulling everything USB wise from the comp, and that includes mice and keyboards, everything, and lo and behold it booted after the usual warnings about no keyboard of course.

My solution was as simple as just clearing the CMOS/BIOS, this will remove all parameters of course, but it worked for me.

My last suggestion (apart from update to latest BIOS) is to clear CMOS, should be in your motherboard manual how to do this, its usually via a jumper, but some boards have switches now, then try again.

Make sure you have all latest XP updates, if you were against SP3, might be an idea to start using it.

Hope you get it sorted.

Maxw
01-03-2009, 04:47 PM
I've tried it without drivers, just the same.
It doesnt light up blue or anything, should it do this before it boots into windows or not?

HuffPCair
01-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Well I have the g15 and it doesnt light up till vista loads up. if it works before windows loads up it is xp being stupid

yeah you can try clearing CMOS too that may work

Maxw
01-03-2009, 04:53 PM
@M31 - I'll try that now. I know how to do it it's via a jumper on this board but it was easier with my old board (MSI P35 Neo2-FR) which had a button.

M31
01-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Well I have the g15 and it doesnt light up till vista loads up. if it works before windows loads up it is xp being stupid

Yup, have the G15 v1 and v2 and dual boot XP and Vista, they don't light up until OS is active.

I hope he gets it sorted, otherwise the night shift will have to take over :)

Maxw
01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
It hasn't worked. It's seriously annoying. I may try a different motherboard tomorrow.

M31
01-03-2009, 05:07 PM
It hasn't worked. It's seriously annoying. I may try a different motherboard tomorrow.

Look for a bios update for your motherboard first, chances are this is an issue with your motherboard and a bios update will fix it.

If your G11 works on your lappie its good to go.

Maxw
01-03-2009, 05:23 PM
How do I update the BIOS and look for a BIOS update?
Thanks,
Max

M31
01-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Go to the DFI site, locate your motherboard and updates for it, download file ... do not flash from Windows ... copy to a floppy, blank DVDR/CDR or USB stick and follow manufacturers instructions.

You would then go into BIOS and choose to boot from this device.

Normally the site will you how to tell what bios version you are currently using, it normally shows on your first boot screen, if you are using an older one, then update, also the bios update text might tell you if this fixes your problem and if it were a common issue or not.

Flashing BIOS might seem daunting, but its really so easy if you go by the rules.

Am going to have to bow out now, its late and I'm tired and the last of my New year booze is taking effect :)

Maxw
01-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for your help, I'll do that in the morning and see if it works.

Thanks a lot!
Max

tiro_uspsss
01-04-2009, 12:27 AM
+1 for mobo issue

:2cents:

Maxw
01-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Done it, it still doesn't work :(

I'm going to take it back and ask for a new one and see if that works as I seem to be out of options.

Then if it doesn't work I will go to Logitech Tech Support.

I'll let you know how I go on.

Thanks for everyones help,
Max

M31
01-04-2009, 06:38 AM
But you already said the G11 works on your lappie ... Its OK dude, it works.

Its your Motherboard or its BIOS version that is the problem.

Maxw
01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Well I took it back anyway just to be sure. I they replaced it no hassle & I got the Logitech MX518 mouse too (at half price - £15). When I plugged the mouse in it lit up and then went off. So I restarted the computer and the light came on on the bottom...until the windows loading bit cam on and then the light went off. So then I thought it's Windows!!! I reinstalled the OS and it now works! :D:D:D:D Luckyly I hadn't used the computer much after the other XP install so I didn't have much stuff on it so it's okay. I'm just re-installing everything. I also got some new logitech speakers, just £15 2.1 ones but they'll do the job! Now all my periphials are Logitech & I got them all half price :D

Thanks for everyones help :)

Max

cardnut99668
01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
I had an issue trying to get my friend's G11 to work with vista with an ASUS P5Q Deluxe. The macro keys worked, but the other keys didn't. He just installed XP instead.

HuffPCair
01-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes I called it at the beginning LOL This is why Vista is awesome I didnt have to install any of my logitech drivers it did it automatically and all worked fine first try.