PDA

View Full Version : What CPU block for me?

NaeKuh
01-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Okey seeing how there is an increase in H2o People.

I thought i should write a little note on how to pick a block.

So where to start?

First off we are given two classes of blocks.

1. Accelerator
2. Low restriction blocks.

These blocks APPLY to every block made. There either low restriction or accelerators.

How do i tell the difference?

1. Acceletator block will use something called an injector in the middle. This is usally a bored out hole, or some plate that accelerates water onto a cold plate.
Example: (EK Supreme, GTZ, KL-350, D-tek with nozzles) (the main driving force on this class is PRESSURE)

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0843.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0848.jpg

The effect this tries to mimic is almost like sand blasting. Since heat is in physics term energy and molecules, the sand blasting promotes turbulance inside the block, and increases its cooling effiency.

2. Low restriction blocks is other catigory. Most non cpu blocks are low restriction. Exception is the EK GPU block which has a middle plate.
Example: (XSPC Rev. 1 2 3, D-tek No Nozzles, OCZ Lab, ApogeeGT, MCP TDX...) (main driving force on this class is FLOW however you'll hit a performance wall faster then blocks 1)
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0559.jpg
These blocks are good for multi role scenarios. They offer low restriction, so flow rate is preserved. These blocks will be like you pouring water on hot plate to cool off. There is no aggitation of water.

Which blocks apply to me?

Well this is where a lot of people mess up. Rule of thumb, keep blocks in class 1 by itself. NO EXCEPTION (except nb block) to this rule.
You guys buy the more expensive blocks in class 1 because they are the best.
The best likes to be alone. :rofl:

If you want to add a gpu to your loop, get your entire setup low restriction. You will get better gains from it.

Where a lot of people mess up is putting an acceleator block with a gpu block. The accelerator block will eat your flow, then your gpu blocks will dump a ton of heat into your loop.

since you got low flow, you'll maintain a large delta. Flow after 1gpm is almost meanless to a new person, but below 1gpm, you'll see performance hits.

I'll add pictures later on if requested, and please let me know if i made any mistakes...

writting this out very fast as we speak.

PsYcHoNo0b727
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Very nice post :up:

gillbot
01-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I usually recommend the Apogee, Apogee GT or the OCZ Hydroflow for most newer OC'ers as they are easiest to get decent results on no matter what the loop configuration is.

anubis_is_evil
01-03-2009, 12:08 PM
nicely done naekuh :D

should really help..

time to add this up to sticky....:up:

NaeKuh
01-03-2009, 12:14 PM
I hope people can understand now why planning is so important.

it really urgs me when people recomend class 1 blocks on multi block roles.. :\

You need an uber pump to pull it off correctly... usually first time builders arent looking to drop 500 on a new system.

MpG
01-03-2009, 01:25 PM
First off we are given two classes of blocks.

1. Accelerator
2. Low restriction blocks.

These blocks APPLY to every block made. There either low restriction or accelerators.
:confused: I'm not quite sure how you arrive at those two categories.

After all, not all non-impingement blocks are low restriction. Or conversely, because it doesn't use an accelerator plate, the Fuzion could be considered to belong to the latter category. Of course, you can buy the nozzles to turn it into the first category. But in stock form, is it really that much different from the GTZ? Aside from shaping the flow a little, it doesn't look like the GTZ's intake design does much to accelerate the flow of water.

warriorpoet
01-03-2009, 03:05 PM

After all, not all non-impingement blocks are low restriction. Or conversely, because it doesn't use an accelerator plate, the Fuzion could be considered to belong to the latter category. Of course, you can buy the nozzles to turn it into the first category. But in stock form, is it really that much different from the GTZ? Aside from shaping the flow a little, it doesn't look like the GTZ's intake design does much to accelerate the flow of water.
GTZ uses a large-sh restrictor. It's no Supreme, but it's there.

NaeKuh
01-03-2009, 03:19 PM

as warrior states,

the gtz has a accelerator inside the middle plate, so yes it falls in my catigory.

Your other example the d-tek i made sure i made a note, without nozzle and with nozzle..

viccan
01-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Some In Depth info bro Thank you!

bot@xs
01-27-2009, 08:04 PM
good info but i am also a bit confused GTZ, i understand that the accelerator plate would put it in the first category but wouldn't the fin design also make it a low restriction block, alas category 2?

Hijack
01-28-2009, 05:46 AM
The inclusion of fins or pins on the base plate of a block doesn't make it a low-flow block. AFAIK, every block has some sort of surface-increasing design whether it is impingment (restrictive) or not. The defining characteristic is whether or not there is an impinging nozzle or mid-plate to increase pressure and "squirt" or "jet" the water at the baseplate. This restricts flow and as Naekuh says, makes it difficult to use with multi-block loops.

bot@xs
01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
ok, gotcha. so it's all about the plate and because of that they should be in an isolated loop

NaeKuh
01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
okey myth, unlike air cooling, the pins on a waterblock when subjected to pressure do not need to be high.

Why? because when fed with water, you notice the pins form a temp gradiant.We dont need that in water because of its efficency.

This is why we brought back plates which are thin, and not high profile. These pin matrixs work better when injectors.

Once again, its how the block was designed and what purpose it was meant for. Not what your best friend thinks is the best block. :P

Sadasius
01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Good write up.:up: Been trying to tell that to people for awhile and alas it falls on deaf ears much of the time because others will refer them to the Supreme or something restrictive on a multi-block single loop or use a non restrictive block on it's own loop. Hopefully this get's read over and over again because this little piece of info is very important when planning and designing a LC system to get the best stable OC's.

Jokester_wild
01-28-2009, 01:03 PM
What about a setup with two pumps in serial when using a group 1 cpu block with a gpu block. Would this not combat the loss ?
example:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/docs/documents/636/pump_serie.png

Sadasius
01-28-2009, 01:10 PM
What about a setup with two pumps in serial when using a group 1 cpu block with a gpu block. Would this not combat the loss ?
example:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/docs/documents/636/pump_serie.png

Sure would help but why not make it 4 pumps just to be sure! :up:

MpG
01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Wow, that's a really nice picture when it comes to showing why double the pump /= double the flow.

fox3
01-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Well this is where a lot of people mess up. Rule of thumb, keep blocks in class 1 by itself. NO EXCEPTION (except nb block) to this rule.

My original plan was two loops, cuplex XT di and aquagratiX for HD 4870 X2, then air cool the MB. I have since added the Bitspower chipset bloocks to this equation and now am trying to see if two loops are still acceptable. :shrug: I will be adding another pump to the CPU loop for redundancy.

The way I read this, adding the NB block to the cpu loop is acceptable if flow is 1 g/min or greater. Then the mos blocks can be added to the GPU loop or do I keep them on the CPU loop?

Jokester_wild
01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Wow, that's a really nice picture when it comes to showing why double the pump /= double the flow.

no its more head! Don't confuse your terms. If you ran them in parallel you would get an increase in flow.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/docs/documents/636/pump_parallel.png

MpG
01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm aware of how pumps curves stack - but as can be seen (in both pictures), the effective flowrate doesn't get doubled from adding the second pump. I was noting that the graph does a good job of illustrating this fact.

Vapor
01-28-2009, 02:44 PM
A 2x2 config gets double the flowrate though ;) :up:

4x1 and 1x4 do not though (except in very select situations)...so it's not an automatic "4 pumps = 2x flow"

Jokester_wild
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm aware of how pumps curves stack - but as can be seen (in both pictures), the effective flowrate doesn't get doubled from adding the second pump. I was noting that the graph does a good job of illustrating this fact.

ah gotcha.

T_Flight
01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
One thing I had to choose was a single loop setup to start with. I didn't have much choice other than the GTZ becasue DTek never came out with the 1366 pro mounts. That left me my next choice which was the GTZ which turned out to be a pretty good block.

Now, saying that, it may turn out that I need to split the loop, and add a pump, rad, and res to my setup. My particular system is a fair ammount of heat dump...a Core i7 OC'd, and a GTX 280 OC'd. We'll see if it gets the job done. If it doesn't, I can always add, but if it does, I have saved a pile of money.

Anemone
01-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I think one of the things that made the Fuzion nice (later in life) was that it could be changed from Type 1 to Type 2 by removing the nozzle. Now being a jack of both trades perhaps makes it a master of none, but it's worth considering in your formula. It allows for change.

Not sure if mounting is going to influence your decision or if you are just going to adapt.

brinox
01-28-2009, 11:27 PM
another thing about multi-pump situations: i recall a few posts where people used two pumps in series, and got lesser performance when the pumps were one right after the other, rather than between other components.

might make a note on that...

pwolfe
01-28-2009, 11:48 PM
what class would you put this in?

http://shop.anfi-tec.de/product_info.php/info/p65_Anfi-tec-Soleil01-AM2---CPU-Kuehler.html

Im going to be running that with a fc video card block as well as 3 mb chipset blocks and am really torn between 2 loops or 1 loop 2 pumps.

redgabber
01-29-2009, 12:15 AM
I m in same situation...I don't know what to do, 1 loop/2 pump or dual loop/pump.
i post some picture http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3611757#post3611757.

GTZ is not a Koolance 350 but it starts to be restrictive too.

beast200
01-29-2009, 01:37 AM
hi
i think i possibly got the wrong block
i have 920 @ 4200
water cooloing rads pa.2 and pa.1
ek res 150 v2 with anti cyclone
ddc 3.2 18w with xspc top
hd4870 ek full cover
was using D-tek fuzon v1 with home made mounting
waited for d tek to make mounting block until dec then gave up
sold fuzion and purchased ek supreme
temps 39 to 40 idle and 69 71 load
i know the supreme is restictive (flow as reduced & pump become noiser)
should i change to the swiftech block or wait for other blocks made for the i7

LazyBum
01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
I hope people can understand now why planning is so important.

it really urgs me when people recomend class 1 blocks on multi block roles.. :\

You need an uber pump to pull it off correctly... usually first time builders arent looking to drop 500 on a new system.

OK here's what I have planned, I think the pump is enough to handle the restrictions.

Current Loop: Iwaki RD-30 -> DD 975X NB block -> Swiftech Storm Rev2 --> Swiftech MCW60 GPU block --> PA120.3 Rad --> T-Line --> Pump

Future loop : Replace the NB block with ? Enzo maybe? and either GTZ or EK Supreme for the CPU block

New board is a GA-EX58-EXTREME with a 920

filmbot
01-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Not too be rude, but I don't think NaeKuh created this thread to become a one stop for all newcomers. Just read over his post and do some research through out the forums and you'll come up with some answers.

Btw, great thread NaeKuh, I think this should be stickied :up:

redgabber
01-29-2009, 04:31 PM
no its more head! Don't confuse your terms. If you ran them in parallel you would get an increase in flow.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/docs/documents/636/pump_parallel.png

I was thinking about 2 pumps // as shown because this is the way for having an increase flow when the 2 branches join themselves in one.
Lot of people says to never do that with a T IN...what to think ???

According to the quoted picture, what do you think of that ? :

......Pump => cpu => nb
Y ............................. Y rad1 => rad2
......Pump => gpu => gpu

At the second Y, before the radiators section, the flows will increase isn't it ?

Jokester_wild
01-30-2009, 02:03 AM
I was thinking about 2 pumps // as shown because this is the way for having an increase flow when the 2 branches join themselves in one.
Lot of people says to never do that with a T IN...what to think ???

According to the quoted picture, what do you think of that ? :

......Pump => cpu => nb
Y ............................. Y rad1 => rad2
......Pump => gpu => gpu

At the second Y, before the radiators section, the flows will increase isn't it ?

My thought process was along the lines of why not do it before the rads then go cpu>gpu>res>pumps etc..

Then your not dumping the pumps heat into the loop right before your crucial parts.

I may be quite wrong in thinking that would be effective.

redgabber
01-30-2009, 03:15 AM
well something like that so :

.... cpu => nb => pump
Y ............................... Y rad1 => rad2
.... gpu => gpu => pump

Of course may be we r wrong ^^ but we try different stuff ;) but sounds good
=> good flow rate, good pressure if the rad are Thermochill or TFC Xchanger (both very low restrictive), good cooling
But i m not sure that pumps heat are signifiant due to the flow rate.