PDA

View Full Version : Help fixing a quickfix from the past

eltinio
01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
A couple of months ago I had a LianLi pc v2110 and the need for watercooling but didn't want to cut great big holes in the case so I top mounted my radiator like this:
http://eltinio.dnrhardware.nl/rad1.jpg

Now I'am not al that happy about it and wanting to mount it internaly, I have tons of space becasue I have 1 hdd and it's in a silencer so 5,25 bay. So the bottom parts holds only a psu and wiring for my lights.
But is er a nice way to cover op the great big holes on the top of the case ore not? I email lianli for an replacement part and will do that unless it costs a lot.

I'm now cooling a stock amd 4800+ x2 but the plans for the future are:

AMD phenom 2 BE OC
ATI 4850 full cover
Mosfet

or
Intel i7
ATI 4850 full cover
Chipset

Will the one 120.3 be enough ore should I add an 120.2 (it fits in the bottom of the case) and can that be done in 1 loop ore should I build 2?

DarkCow
01-02-2009, 10:00 AM
In the wood working world, what we do is just out circular peice of wood, and just glue them into the holes, I don't know if you can do that with metal

eltinio
01-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I could close the holes and fill them with filler and than respray the top but I can't spray the brushed aluminum look but filling the holes is an nice option.
Another option could be to just cut a great hole and making it an window.

mindspat
01-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I could close the holes and fill them with filler and than respray the top but I can't spray the brushed aluminum look but filling the holes is an nice option.
Another option could be to just cut a great hole and making it an window.

MAybe fancy screws, bolts, nuts, etc, to fill-in the holes while making it look important?

I'm thinking you have potential to do a cosmetic case mod in that spot. ;)

JOCKTHEGLIDE
01-02-2009, 10:16 AM
nice case man.....I think a new top cost a like 50 bucks or so...

INFRNL
01-02-2009, 10:20 AM
You may be able to fill them with the filler ports for your water cooling system. I think they may be big enough for the holes. as for the smaller holes, either get some nice screws to put in them. Mount the rad in the same holes but on top and make a cover for the top. mount some exhaust fans for the top.
there are endless ideas.

Tile
01-02-2009, 10:21 AM
You can get hold of a piece of brushed aluminium cut to size and stick it with double sided tape.

eltinio
01-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I like the idea of the fancy nuts and the fillports for the greater holes.

@Jocktheglide: I could live with 50$ (long live the euro) as long as shipping isn't 50$ as well.

I'll have to full of the radiator to see how much damage there actually is but I don't wanna run without watercooling for some time because it was a pain getting the radiator mounted.

And can somebody shine their light on the radiator issue if it will be enough ore not.

LonghornN
01-02-2009, 02:50 PM
I've got that case too with an TFC 360 in the bottom part, and i'm thinking in mount it externally. There isnt a good ventilation at the lower chamber.

Eddie3dfx
01-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Do what I'm doing, pick up a koolance shroud for the top.
Looks very nice, will cover all those holes, and this way the radiator is mounted to the roof of the case and the fans in the shroud.

http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=692

eltinio
01-02-2009, 11:21 PM
@ LonghornN: When I mount the radiator in the bottom part I will probably mount a second radiator there so I'll be having an in and outtake so flow shoudn't be a problem.

@ Eddie3dfx: Mounting the radiator like that isn't an option for the case because the motherboard is at the top of the case and the radiator would hit the motherboard.

eltinio
01-14-2009, 11:41 AM
I had a discussion about this with a good friend of mine and we came up with some good ideas with this result:
http://eltinio.dnrhardware.nl/topplaat.jpg

Its an 1mm thick plate of aluminum with the letters sawed out and painted black.
The piece is stuck on with some double sided tape.

JMCorp
01-14-2009, 12:17 PM
awesome idea there El :D

wish i had friends with access to precision metal cutting tools :(

eltinio
01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
awesome idea there El :D

wish i had friends with access to precision metal cutting tools :(

I'll take that as a big compliment, it's made by hand with a fretsaw and some filing.

JMCorp
01-14-2009, 01:35 PM
skill and lots of it man, definitely a compliment!