PDA

View Full Version : Which pump for my setup?

revlimit
12-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi guys,

Just wanted your opinion on which pump is sufficient for my setup. Or cheapest route.

A feser x changer 240mm + 2 (Danger Den GTX 280) block.

hollaback04
12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
cheapest route? i would say mcp655 @ 74.95 or
mcp355 with after market top, but it definitely will cost more lol

CCC
12-30-2008, 07:40 PM
mcp655 with a T fill line would probably be the cheapest yet most powerful way

warriorpoet
12-30-2008, 07:48 PM
mcp655 with a T fill line would probably be the cheapest yet most powerful way

Yeah, that's not a real restrictive loop.

MpG
12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Unless you're going hardcore and seriously looking for every last degree, you don't need much for that. DD's 280 block has a pretty low pressure drop, as do the TFC radiators. Furthermore, not only will you see very small temperature gains past a certain point, those temperature gains will make very little difference towards the card's overclocking. Pretty much any common pump will be more than enough. If you're on a budget, I'd suggest the CPX-Pro pump, since it doesn't need any aftermarket tops, and you can use whatever fittings you want. If you've got a little money, a DDC 3.1 (aka Swiftech MCP350) pump with an aftermarket top would probably have a slight edge on noise (while still being more than strong enough), or a DDC 3.2 (aka MCP355) with the same top would give you a little more pumping power, and the option of adding more blocks in the loop in the future.

warriorpoet
12-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Unless you're going hardcore and seriously looking for every last degree, you don't need much for that. DD's 280 block has a pretty low pressure drop, as do the TFC radiators. Furthermore, not only will you see very small temperature gains past a certain point, those temperature gains will make very little difference towards the card's overclocking. Pretty much any common pump will be more than enough. If you're on a budget, I'd suggest the CPX-Pro pump, since it doesn't need any aftermarket tops, and you can use whatever fittings you want. If you've got a little money, a DDC 3.1 (aka Swiftech MCP350) pump with an aftermarket top would probably have a slight edge on noise (while still being more than strong enough), or a DDC 3.2 (aka MCP355) with the same top would give you a little more pumping power, and the option of adding more blocks in the loop in the future.Have you tried that CPX pump, MpG? I'm curious about it for a cheapie client build :)

revlimit
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Unless you're going hardcore and seriously looking for every last degree, you don't need much for that. DD's 280 block has a pretty low pressure drop, as do the TFC radiators. Furthermore, not only will you see very small temperature gains past a certain point, those temperature gains will make very little difference towards the card's overclocking. Pretty much any common pump will be more than enough. If you're on a budget, I'd suggest the CPX-Pro pump, since it doesn't need any aftermarket tops, and you can use whatever fittings you want. If you've got a little money, a DDC 3.1 (aka Swiftech MCP350) pump with an aftermarket top would probably have a slight edge on noise (while still being more than strong enough), or a DDC 3.2 (aka MCP355) with the same top would give you a little more pumping power, and the option of adding more blocks in the loop in the future.

I won't be adding another block to this loop because I have the CPU and chipset on another loop. Thanks for the input guys. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the 240 radiator ( 2x 140mm)? If so, this would fix nicely in the coolermaster 840.

MpG
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Have you tried that CPX pump, MpG? I'm curious about it for a cheapie client build :)
Yeah, it's a nice unit, right in-between the topped DDC 3.1 and 3.2's in noise, performance, and heat dump. Looks exactly like a DB-1 unit, except larger, right down to the fan header power (which may be a turn-off for some). I've only used it for test and trial stuff so far, but I'm quite liking it. And ever since the prices on the DDC units went through the :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing roof here in Canada, it's looking like a fantastic deal. Came with Fatboy barbs too! :up:

zanzabar
12-30-2008, 08:21 PM
the ddc3.2 and a top is $10 more than a d5 vario and its well worh the extra there is nothing near it and the only thing better is an iwaki but thats bank

revlimit
12-30-2008, 08:24 PM
the ddc3.2 and a top is $10 more than a d5 vario and its well worh the extra there is nothing near it and the only thing better is an iwaki but thats bank

I don't need something over the top, just enough. So the CPX Pro seems like a good deal and with number head room.

Waterlogged
12-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Personally, I'd get a DDC 3.1 (MCP350) from Newegg and use it without any top. If the time ever came where I needed something a bit better, I could add the top and if I needed more than just the top, I could do the solder mod and make it a 3.2. Many options from 1 50 something dollar pump...no?

NaeKuh
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Have you tried that CPX pump, MpG? I'm curious about it for a cheapie client build :)

Friend of mine got one for his bro, there pretty good he says.

cheapest route is DB-1 for your config.

There not bad for your config either.

revlimit
12-31-2008, 08:09 AM
So back to my question. Is the feser x changer 240mm meant for 2 X 140mm fans?

PsYcHoNo0b727
12-31-2008, 08:25 AM
No, 2x120mm fans. 120+120=240 :up: