STaRGaZeR
12-30-2008, 08:54 AM
For Immediate Release

Antigua, West Indies - December, 29th 2008

SlySoft defeats Blu-ray's BD+ DRM scheme again

Despite some sites reporting that "SlySoft has been beaten", the
Antiguan company renowned for promoting Fair Use Rights has effectively
defeated BD+ once again and much earlier than expected; the cat and
mouse game of DRM has entered the next round.

Although newer BD+ decryption wasn't expected until February 2009,
today's AnyDVD HD 6.5.0.2 release decrypts copy protection on all
current Blu-ray movies and, in turn, ensures that consumers may continue
to backup and enjoy their Blu-ray movie purchases even when using
computer monitors that are not HDCP compliant. In fact, AnyDVD HD
remains the only program that can decrypt all commercial Blu-ray
releases, and this incredible magic is, as per usual with AnyDVD HD,
performed on the fly without requiring users to rip first to their hard
drives.

The following is a selection of current Blu-ray releases supported by
AnyDVD HD:

Futurama: Bender's Game (U.S.)
Firefly, The Complete Series (U.S.)
Planet of the Apes (1968 ) (U.S.)
Predator 2 (1990)
Shine a Light (U.K)
Planet of the Apes (the series), U.S.
Space Chimps, USA
Meet Dave, USA
X-Files 2
X-Files 1
Home Alone
The Day The Earth Stood Still: Special Edition
Jingle All The Way
Super Troopers
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
Horton hears a Who
French Connection I & II (UK)
In the Name of the King (US)
Vanishing Point (Germany)
Babylon A.D.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=24602

:ROTF: :welcome:

Chad Boga
12-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Good. :clap:

This will help me heaps in 12 months time when I break out the eye patch, wooden leg and parrot. :up:

Eastcoasthandle
12-30-2008, 09:18 AM
I wonder if some still believe that BD+ can never be broken?

TheGoat Eater
12-30-2008, 09:29 AM
You know why they released it that press release today right - they are going away from the free updates for life structure and going to a subscription based pricing structure now and they want to get those people (like me) who are on the verge of buying to buy before the new year (as they have a discount and you get the free updates for life)... Oh what to do what to do...

kryptobs2000
12-30-2008, 10:38 AM
I think they still have free updates for life on the pirate bay.

Speederlander
12-30-2008, 10:43 AM

There's a poetic justice to that.

Jochenp
12-30-2008, 11:12 AM

x30
And they should know it

Vinas
12-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Yay! Free updates for life? I'm still using a super old version of Clone CD!!!

clonez
12-30-2008, 12:43 PM
arrgh, thy maties did it again :)

only days now for the total exploit

Syn.
12-30-2008, 12:47 PM
x30
And they should know it

They do know it lol. They still make enough money with the current sales they aren't like other companies who say every pirated copy is a lost sale.

Ket
12-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Mwahahahahahaaaaa!!! Arrrr M8ties! Tis Be Clear Sailin On Te Open Seas! :D

acidpython
12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
AnyDVD is good i use it. means i can rip my blu-ray (convert it if needed) store it on my server and play it sitting on my laptop or stream it to a HTPC. I find it a very useful program.

Speederlander
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM
They do know it lol. They still make enough money with the current sales they aren't like other companies who say every pirated copy is a lost sale.

So why do they use copy protection with their software?

T_Flight
12-30-2008, 01:02 PM
:clap: I love it. This is outstanding. I especially like it that they have busted one of Sony's schemes. That company tries to swindle people out of every dime they can. It's oustanding that dev's like this stop them.

When I buy something I expect to use it, on any machine, and be able to back it up. When you buy these movies they can get expensive, and if anything happens to the disk Sony expects people to buy a new one. That ain't gonna happen with me. I'm gonna buy once, back it up and keep it, and there won't be any of that limited use BS either.

I'm on the ragged edge of boycotting Sony and Blacklisting them anyway after that rootkit stunt they pulled. They do have some nice technology, but it's not gonna survive if they keep it up. People are really sick of this crap.

GripS
12-30-2008, 02:21 PM
More good news from Slysoft. I love these guys.

I bought AnyDvd. It's reasonably priced and is a good value. Wish I could say the same about the operating system i'm running. It's not reasonably priced and is not a good value. Therefore..... ya know.

saint-francis
12-30-2008, 03:07 PM
It costs as much as Windows. Maybe more.

YukonTrooper
12-30-2008, 03:15 PM
I love it. The best part is how they cracked it before its expected arrival in February. Can someone explain that to me? Awesome either way. :D

Syn.
12-30-2008, 03:15 PM
So why do they use copy protection with their software?

lol.... yea. Seriously? Ok, let me try and answer that politely.

The copy protection that they offer is a standard application only registration. You get a registration file that you just open and it registers the application. It also does randomly connect to Slysoft to confirm registrations. The copy protection is tied to the AnyDVD only.

They might not be into the whole "Piracy is the end of the world" thing but they are not stupid.

Speederlander
12-30-2008, 03:22 PM
lol.... yea. Seriously? Ok, let me try and answer that politely.

The copy protection that they offer is a standard application only registration. You get a registration file that you just open and it registers the application. It also does randomly connect to Slysoft to confirm registrations. The copy protection is tied to the AnyDVD only.

They might not be into the whole "Piracy is the end of the world" thing but they are not stupid.

Yes, seriously. A common argument against copy protection of any sort and DRM is it's cracked 30 seconds after its released. Making it nonsense to implement in the first place, yes? At least according to what is so often given as a reason against using it. Further, if piracy has no impact on sales, why bother with copy protection of any sort? What would make not having copy protection "stupid"? This last question is critical. Are you saying they would lose money without copy protection?

dinos22
12-30-2008, 03:27 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Syn.
12-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, seriously. A common argument against copy protection of any sort and DRM is it's cracked 30 seconds after its released. Making it nonsense to implement in the first place, yes? At least according to what is so often given as a reason against using it. Further, if piracy has no impact on sales, why bother with copy protection of any sort? What would make not having copy protection "stupid"? This last question is critical. Are you saying they would lose money without copy protection?

.... Is that all you got from all those piracy vs DRM topics? I mean really???

DRM is fine as long as it only protects the application that it comes with and that it does NOT limit the customer, key word there, customer in any way.

If DRM was seamless and unnoticeable to most people then none would have a problem with it. DRM like SecurROM and BD+ do get in the way. None likes to be treated as a kid or a criminal. DRM schemes like those do both of those things with a smile on their face telling you its better for everyone that way, and then they also charge you for it.

That is the reason people get mad at DRM not because its pointless since it will get cracked soon as it comes out.

Speederlander
12-30-2008, 03:58 PM
.... Is that all you got from all those piracy vs DRM topics? I mean really???
No, not at all. I'm using some common claims in response to your comments.

DRM is fine as long as it only protects the application that it comes with and that it does NOT limit the customer, key word there, customer in any way.

If DRM was seamless and unnoticeable to most people then none would have a problem with it. DRM like SecurROM and BD+ do get in the way. None likes to be treated as a kid or a criminal. DRM schemes like those do both of those things with a smile on their face telling you its better for everyone that way, and then they also charge you for it.

That is the reason people get mad at DRM not because its pointless since it will get cracked soon as it comes out.

So you think non-invasive copy protection is a good thing, yes? And that it helps sales by preventing piracy? And by extension that preventing piracy is a good and necessary thing to do for a software company, yes?

GripS
12-30-2008, 03:59 PM
It costs as much as Windows. Maybe more.

Nope. AnyDVD + HD option is approx 90 USD. OEM copy of Windows XP pro is 100+.

edit: OK I found a copy of xp pro for 90 bucks.

Bo_Fox
12-30-2008, 04:28 PM
So that means I can view Blu-ray movies on my Dell 2405FPW via DVI (monitor that does not have HDMI or HDCP) using AnyDVD HD on the fly?!? Just launch the program, insert the movie disc, and watch it, that easy?!?

YukonTrooper
12-30-2008, 04:44 PM
So that means I can view Blu-ray movies on my Dell 2405FPW via DVI (monitor that does not have HDMI or HDCP) using AnyDVD HD on the fly?!? Just launch the program, insert the movie disc, and watch it, that easy?!?
You'll need a program that plays the movies as well. AnyDVD HD only cracks protection and detours HDCP.

tiro_uspsss
12-30-2008, 04:50 PM
:woot: :woot: :party:

wheres the darn BD+ supporters now eh?

tiro_uspsss
12-30-2008, 04:53 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm seriously considering sigging that :D

Serra
12-30-2008, 05:34 PM
You know why they released it that press release today right - they are going away from the free updates for life structure and going to a subscription based pricing structure now and they want to get those people (like me) who are on the verge of buying to buy before the new year (as they have a discount and you get the free updates for life)... Oh what to do what to do...

You're a terrible human being. Because of you I found out about Slysoft's new payment scheme and have to buy the software tonight :p

Seriously though, thanks for the heads up.

It seems ironic to buy cracking software for legit personal use (I just want to copy my stuff to a home media server), but I guess that's the world we live in.

Edit: Yep, just ordered their entire suite. $215 CAD but well worth it. There is other freely available software that can do a lot of what I just paid for, but their user-friendly interface will ensure that my wife can use it too without me having to guide her through every step of everything she does.

96redformula
12-30-2008, 05:48 PM
I just became a paid for their software 5 days ago, well worth it from my point of view! These guys deserve the cash, especially from those of us with HTPC's who have it setup with a blu-ray drive.

renzokuken
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM

Oh that is just...just...too good. I was thoroughly amused by the Chad Boga's 1st response, but this just takes the cake.

Tulatin
12-30-2008, 10:41 PM
I wonder how long it is before Sony blames Slysoft for constantly "Updating" their media format to :banana::banana::banana::banana: over their early adopters.

Syn.
12-31-2008, 03:49 AM
No, not at all. I'm using some common claims in response to your comments.

So you think non-invasive copy protection is a good thing, yes? And that it helps sales by preventing piracy? And by extension that preventing piracy is a good and necessary thing to do for a software company, yes?

When you leave your house do you leave your door unlocked? I know i dont.

Jochenp
12-31-2008, 04:02 AM
How difficult is it to understand? They don't WANT people to pirate their software, they want to SELL it, yet they don't really CARE that much if it IS pirated. Without any protection it is FREEWARE.
I think that's Syn's point. I don't fully agree but don't act like you don't know what he wants to say.

mikeyakame
12-31-2008, 04:11 AM
they dont want you to play it without a hdcp enabled dvi link or via a dvi dual link (for your 30" 2560x1600). hdcp is only on single link dvi if necessary hardware is built into the monitor.

slysoft aren't interested in piracy, just being able to watch or backup movies you paid way too much for.

96redformula
12-31-2008, 07:07 AM
they dont want you to play it without a hdcp enabled dvi link or via a dvi dual link (for your 30" 2560x1600). hdcp is only on single link dvi if necessary hardware is built into the monitor.

slysoft aren't interested in piracy, just being able to watch or backup movies you paid way too much for.

Or backup Blockbuster's Movies :shocked: :rofl:

mikeyakame
12-31-2008, 07:16 AM
the world is full of good and evil, you do things hoping that good will come out of them, but you know that there will be those who use it to exploit the system. that's how it always is with everything.

the right intention is always the primary ingredient for the wrong people to benefit the most.

govt's spend billions on military budgets per annum to have the most deadly and efficient weapons at their disposal, this on the good side feeds technological advances and affordability for us as it makes it way down, the bad is that it will probably be stolen and used to develop an even more deadly and precise weapon by some other country.

the question is do you not advance for the sake of others using the gains you made for their own evil benefits...
if we sat around and hoped everything we did would be used the right way and didnt pursue projects otherwise we'd be living in caves with leave clothes and washing in rivers still.

Slysoft's intentions are good, but there will be people who exploit the software to personally profit.

Speederlander
12-31-2008, 08:06 AM
When you leave your house do you leave your door unlocked? I know i dont.

But you are talking physical objects there. Whenever anyone tries to draw parallels between software and physical objects in the piracy debates they are told its not the same and an invalid comparison. Basically, they would be told that someone walking into your house actually takes something from you, here nothing would be taken from Slysoft. At least that's what always gets thrown back when digital materials are compared to physical materials. Are you saying there is a direct comparison between taking someone's physical stuff and downloading pirated software?

RaZz!
12-31-2008, 08:07 AM
slysoft are some smart dudes, i guess ;)

Jamesrt2004
12-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Or backup Blockbuster's Movies :shocked: :rofl:

omg i've never ever thought of that!

LOL so going to blockbusters a lot more!

Tulatin
12-31-2008, 08:57 AM
But you are talking physical objects there. Whenever anyone tries to draw parallels between software and physical objects in the piracy debates they are told its not the same and an invalid comparison. Basically, they would be told that someone walking into your house actually takes something from you, here nothing would be taken from Slysoft. At least that's what always gets thrown back when digital materials are compared to physical materials. Are you saying there is a direct comparison between taking someone's physical stuff and downloading pirated software?

It's basically people trying to equate loss and potential loss. After all, it's so very easy to blame a person's decision to not purchase the software on piracy, even if they don't want the software.

The best analogy here is sneaking into a movie; Nobody really loses anything, unless you're sneaking into, and swiping seats on a packed show - that's what filling up the hosted servers with pirated copies is like.

Syn.
12-31-2008, 09:36 AM

You dont have to take everything i say so litterlery. I was only using that as an example of principle. Yes we are talking about physical and virtual, since software comes in both forms. Yes there two forms of piracy one where a person copies a physical medium i.e CD or DVD and one where a person copies data through a virtual medium. That is why when someone downloads a copy from Torrent they say it can not be directly compared to stealing a DVD from the shop is correct in saying so. You downloaded a copy of a copy from an illegal distributor which means that you never had to agree to any terms with any party. If a person was to pirate a physical medium they have to enter a licensed distributors property and then agree to a contract that for x amount of currency the distributor will provide the customer with a legal copy of a product that they are allowed to use. The customer then agrees to the terms and conditions of said product by either opening the box or by actively agreeing to terms and conditions by other means. This kind of terms and conditions are separate from the terms and conditions the customer agreed to upon purchasing the product from the distributor. The customer by both purchasing and using the product agrees to the limits of use set forth by the both contracts.

I hope that helps you realise that things are not as clear cut as one rule applies to all. Digital Products in terms of use are very much different to the Physical Products. Seeing as we only had Digital Products around for about 20 years it is no surprise that not all rules are set and that not everything about them is fully understood. For example RIAA is trying to push the rule that if you copy a file on your computer that alone is piracy. However this rule fails to realise the basics behind Computers. One of simplest is the fact that the computer has to copy the data from the storage medium to memory for that data to be used. So by just running the file on your computer, even if you purchased it legally, under RIAA's rules you are in fact committing an offence. Even products such as Sky+ which have a memory buffer so that you can pause live TV. By pausing live TV you are in fact copying that data on to the memory inside of your Sky+ box therefore you are yet again committing an offence. The two examples i just mentioned are completely ok according to the media companies behind RIAA only because the people in charge simply do not understand that a Digital Product is very much different to a Physical Product.

DRM on Digital Products should be like security doors and secure packaging found on today's Physical Products. That way the person who goes and purchases the product legally is not in anyway disrupted by the security measures put in place to stop theft. That being said just like all forms of DRM are cracked by the pirates AKA thieves, the security measures in shops can also be bypassed by thieves rendering them also useless. DRM is the Digital Products equivalent of security measures used by stores to protect the Physical Product. When it comes to DRM such as SecuROM it is the Physical Products equivalent of a security guard following you home then watching over you while you use the product in your home.

Now do you understand why people get angry when companies use DRM like that in their products?

STaRGaZeR
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM
yawn

http://jerryong.com/blog/boring.jpg

Speederlander
12-31-2008, 09:59 AM
You dont have to take everything i say so litterlery.

I am only after one thing. You said they would be foolish not to use copy protection. That implies that their business will suffer if people can freely trade copies of their software with no difficulty, i.e. piracy will harm their bottom line. If a traded copy of their software would not hurt their business and is not a lost sale, as you say, why use copy protection? By extension, since the copy protection is broken almost instantly as everyone knows, isn't this what is happening now to most companies who have their software pirated?

stardust8750
12-31-2008, 10:15 AM
I just got this email from slysoft :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dear valued customer,

we would like to inform you, that a new version of AnyDVD
has been released. Here the list of fixes and improvements:

6.5.0.7 2008 12 31
- New (Blu-ray): More support for new version of the BD+ copy protection
All remaining discs with the new BD+ protection should work now, e.g.
"X-Files 2 - I Want to Believe", US
"In the Name of the King", US
"Meet Dave", US
- Some minor fixes and improvements

Please check out http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=24602
for a selection of affected Blu-ray titles.

The update is free for all registered customers, of course.
Just install the new version on top of your current version,
regardless which version you have installed:
http://www.slysoft.com/download.html

Have fun with AnyDVD!

Gordon Reeves
Customer Care Center

HiJon89
12-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Finally, Home Alone in 1080p :clap: I had to watch the :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty FX HD cap on Christmas and I was quite disappointed :mad:

Syn.
01-01-2009, 06:10 AM
I am only after one thing. You said they would be foolish not to use copy protection. That implies that their business will suffer if people can freely trade copies of their software with no difficulty, i.e. piracy will harm their bottom line. If a traded copy of their software would not hurt their business and is not a lost sale, as you say, why use copy protection? By extension, since the copy protection is broken almost instantly as everyone knows, isn't this what is happening now to most companies who have their software pirated?

You know it would be nice of you to actually spend a bit of your time reading what i have written. How many times do i have to say this DRM is not the problem, DRM that stops legitimate customers from using the product is.

For anything else you can just refer to my last post, if you don't get it from that then i guess this is all just pointless.

iboomalot
01-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Extended Offer
Based on tremendous customer response SlySoft management has decided to extend both the current 20% promotion and lifetime free updates until Sunday, January 11 2009 to give everybody a chance to sneak a peak at 2009 prices and subscription fees for better comparison.

must be getting a ton of money

Speederlander
01-01-2009, 08:52 AM
You know it would be nice of you to actually spend a bit of your time reading what i have written. How many times do i have to say this DRM is not the problem, DRM that stops legitimate customers from using the product is.

For anything else you can just refer to my last post, if you don't get it from that then i guess this is all just pointless.

I'm not asking about the impact of DRM on customers. If they didn't have copy protection would they lose money to piracy? Yes or no.

Syn.
01-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm not asking about the impact of DRM on customers. If they didn't have copy protection would they lose money to piracy? Yes or no.

The answer is... are you ready?.... Yes and No.

Speederlander
01-01-2009, 04:49 PM
The answer is... are you ready?.... Yes and No.

Non-response. About what I expected. "Yes and no" works as a response when it is explained. Standing alone it means nothing.

Chewbenator
01-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Can someone please explain how they haven't been sued into oblivion? I mean they are directly thwarting the security measures put in place on a paid for product, and making money doing it! You'd think Sony and it's posse would have buried them in lawyers by now.

Heretic
01-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Can someone please explain how they haven't been sued into oblivion? I mean they are directly thwarting the security measures put in place on a paid for product, and making money doing it! You'd think Sony and it's posse would have buried them in lawyers by now.

They're based in Antigua, so the DMCA does not apply.

billdavis
01-02-2009, 01:55 AM
yeah i bought it last month totaly worth it to have dvd/bd on hdd, but now i have had to buy 4 1tb hdds

Syn.
01-02-2009, 02:22 AM
Non-response. About what I expected. "Yes and no" works as a response when it is explained. Standing alone it means nothing.

All your posts are non-response. You keep asking me the same question over and over again even after i explained to you that your question does not have a simple answer. The explanation to the Yes and No you can find in my previous reply, just because you dont like it does not make it invalid.

Yep! They got sued for CloneCD when they where called Elby then they moved their company into a country that has no copyright laws. Oh the irony that they now located in a remote island. Pirates still rule the seas lol.

WangChung
01-02-2009, 05:56 AM
I bought my copy NYE after seeing this post. :)

Aberration
01-02-2009, 08:46 AM

IIRC the laws in the US allow you to make a backup.

Tulatin
01-02-2009, 08:48 AM

Bingo. TPB did the same thing when a lawsuit was pushed against them: It's not the states so your laws don't work.

Effectively speaking, a lack of DRM MAY encourage piracy, but the prescence of it will not deter piracy. Not everyone will jump aboard the piracy boat at the first moment, due to ethical concerns. When it comes right down to it, there are two types of people. Pirates, and moral people. The latter won't pirate, even if the CDs are being handed out free on the street. The former won't turn down a free, clean copy.

HiJon89
01-02-2009, 09:07 AM
IIRC the laws in the US allow you to make a backup.
It is always illegal to bypass copy protection measures on a disc, whether it's for a personal backup or not. (At least in the US)

Speederlander
01-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Effectively speaking, a lack of DRM MAY encourage piracy, but the prescence of it will not deter piracy. Not everyone will jump aboard the piracy boat at the first moment, due to ethical concerns. When it comes right down to it, there are two types of people. Pirates, and moral people. The latter won't pirate, even if the CDs are being handed out free on the street. The former won't turn down a free, clean copy.

:rolleyes: You completely missed the point. Because if what you say is true, then why did he say they would be foolish not to use copy protection on their software? You say: "the prescence of it will not deter piracy". He says they would be foolish not to use it. THAT is my point. If copy protection won't deter piracy and only the immoral pirates (your words) will download illegitimate copies (even if handed out free on the street, as you say), why bother with copy protection on software at all? And that is why I have kept on the issue. He said that not having copy protection was foolish, and yet argument after argument by those in the pro-piracy category include such points as copy protection is pointless because it gets cracked instantly, piracy has no impact on sales, copy protection only makes legitimate use more difficult, etc. So I want to have that divide bridged. Why would it be foolish not to have copy protection when the only thing presented so far by the person making the claim that they should have it are arguments for NOT having it? :shrug:

NapalmV5
01-02-2009, 03:57 PM
all great and all.. more power to them

but i just want to view/watch the damn bluray title

and lately its been hell to get to play certain bluray titles on powerdvd7/8/totalmedia theater.. some included in the list above

cyberlink/arcsoft very slow @ updates :down:

T_M
01-03-2009, 09:08 AM
Speed, lets cut the lawyer talk and start talking real life. You can analyse every fricken word typed in this thread to death if you want, but for me it makes for boring reading.
The vast majority of people using discs are not even aware of how to copy them. And even those that are, their only hope is the first piece of software that google pops up when they search "copy Crocodile Dundee".
Basic copy protection thus thwarts these efforts for the minority of the mainstream, leaving the even smaller minority who are knowledgeable enough who will just go out and crack everything regardless when the software becomes available (e.g. AnyDVD).

The real problem where im from is pirated discs available on the street. In Australia almost everyone owns some discs they (or their friend) bought in Bali on holiday, or anywhere else in SEA for that matter. Im currently living in Indonesia and can buy anything popular you can name for about $3.

pythagoras
01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I am not pro-piracy but I will buy this product.

I will buy this product so that I can watch the material I have legitimately paid for in the most convenient form for me. That is on a server that can stream the film to the room I am in when I want to watch the film, I have paid for.

Can anyone give me a moral argument why I shouldnt do this?

Regards

John.

HiJon89
01-03-2009, 05:43 PM
I am not pro-piracy but I will buy this product.

I will buy this product so that I can watch the material I have legitimately paid for in the most convenient form for me. That is on a server that can stream the film to the room I am in when I want to watch the film, I have paid for.

Can anyone give me a moral argument why I shouldnt do this?

Regards

John.
Only thing I can think of is that if you pay money to SlySoft you are indirectly supporting piracy.

Syn.
01-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Only thing I can think of is that if you pay money to SlySoft you are indirectly supporting piracy.

By buying cheap products you are supporting child sweat shops all over the world! How do you feel now?

STEvil
01-03-2009, 06:02 PM
By buying cheap products you are supporting child sweat shops all over the world! How do you feel now?

By buying goods manufactured in china, taiwan, etc (ie: imported cheap labor) there's a good chance you're doing the same.

Aberration
01-03-2009, 09:32 PM

How?

Just because some people will use the product for piracy does not mean you support it.

I buy guns. Some people use those guns to kill people. Does that mean I indirectly support murder?

I buy computers. Some people use computers to con old and stupid people into sending them a check so they can help some Saudi prince transfer his inheritance. Does that mean I support such activities?

I can go on and on, but that logic is absurd.

B.E.E.F.
01-03-2009, 10:09 PM

My god. What have I been doing?

From now on, I will only buy products made by unionized employees. Bigger union is better.

STEvil
01-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Unions may be funneling funds to support alterior motives, BEEF!! oh no!

YukonTrooper
01-04-2009, 03:41 AM
I think you're both supporting terrorists by being pot smoking Canadians.

Junos
01-04-2009, 03:59 AM
By buying cheap products you are supporting child sweat shops all over the world! How do you feel now? I think he was being ironic <- Mr. Obvious

STEvil
01-04-2009, 04:49 AM

I dont, but my brothers probably make up for my lack of not.

Serra
01-04-2009, 07:59 AM

I think my counter-argument (as I did just buy the suite) would be that since I bought it for legitimate reasons (wanting to copy things to a home media server), the software does have legitimate uses. Thus if someone else decides to take software with a legitimate use and use it for their own illegal ends, that is their moral failing and not mine.

I think the argument is slight different than that of guns which another poster suggested. Guns are, effectively, necessary for some things (ie. defense of ones country) so they must therefore exist - but what types of guns must exist and regulation behind who they can be sold to are up for debate. With that item it's not a one-type-fits-all argument. I miss SF right now :(

Oh, and in case anyone didn't notice - SlySoft extended their deal until Jan 11. That's free lifetime updates instead of subscription-based, 20% off as a christmas sale, and if you do get bundle discounts on top of that (31% if you buy everything).

B.E.E.F.
01-04-2009, 08:12 AM

Grown in BC by rednecks. :D

HiJon89
01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
How?

Just because some people will use the product for piracy does not mean you support it.

I buy guns. Some people use those guns to kill people. Does that mean I indirectly support murder?

I buy computers. Some people use computers to con old and stupid people into sending them a check so they can help some Saudi prince transfer his inheritance. Does that mean I support such activities?

I can go on and on, but that logic is absurd.
First of all, AnyDVD violates the DMCA so anyone who uses it technically a pirate, not just some. Second of all, he specifically requested for someone to try to think of a moral argument so I tried to, get a life :shakes:

Aberration
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
DMCA violates my right to make a backup. Just because it hasnt been challenged in court yet, means nothing.

And just because it violates the DMCA does not technically make anyone a pirate.

Get a life? Mad because I showed how your so called moral argument is........ BS! Go cry to someone who cares.

I will be buying their product and using it to backup all my DVD's and future BR. Hell, now I have a reason to get a PS3.

Boo. Hisss. Their product just helped to increase the sales of another company. How evil of them :down:

Bo_Fox
01-05-2009, 01:37 AM
First of all, AnyDVD violates the DMCA so anyone who uses it technically a pirate, not just some. Second of all, he specifically requested for someone to try to think of a moral argument so I tried to, get a life :shakes:

You go and get a life trying to defend DMCA!

Pillo-kun
01-05-2009, 02:47 AM
I do what ever i like with my things i bought for my own money. do you know what buy means? i dont want to pay full price for a product and only have the same rights as if i rented them. DMCA or what ever go and kiss my behind hehe.

STaRGaZeR
01-05-2009, 07:27 AM
I will be buying their product and using it to backup all my DVD's and future BR. Hell, now I have a reason to get a PS3.

Last time I checked PS3 won't play unprotected discs with the BDMV structure.

WangChung
01-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Slysoft is to piracy as gun shows are to murder. Just because you're provided with the tools doesn't mean that's the only course of action you're going to take with them. Saying that AnyDVD contributes to piracy is like fat people blaming McDonalds. Individuals are responsible for their actions, nothing more and nothing less. Exactly what pythagoras said is exactly what I do; I want to be able to watch my movies without always worrying about scratching discs or sifting through the hundreds that I have or tracking down which DVD player it's in. The thing is the DCMA and its supporters/movie houses can't nail down its argument, which is whether or not the consumer is paying for the CONTENT or the MEDIUM.

Aberration
01-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Last time I checked PS3 won't play unprotected discs with the BDMV structure.

From what I have read so far there doesnt seem to be an issue as long as you use the right methods. Most common problem I have seen so far is audio playback.

Also it appears you can just swap out the HDD. So I would get the biggest 2.5" HDD and put them all on the HDD.

HiJon89
01-05-2009, 10:00 AM
DMCA violates my right to make a backup. Just because it hasnt been challenged in court yet, means nothing.

And just because it violates the DMCA does not technically make anyone a pirate.

Get a life? Mad because I showed how your so called moral argument is........ BS! Go cry to someone who cares.

Boo. Hisss. Their product just helped to increase the sales of another company. How evil of them :down:
I didn't say I agreed with that argument, I was just trying to help pythagoras.

I have a 4TB RAID5 and 100Mb/100Mbit internet, you figure out how I feel about piracy :cool:

STaRGaZeR
01-05-2009, 10:22 AM
From what I have read so far there doesnt seem to be an issue as long as you use the right methods. Most common problem I have seen so far is audio playback.

Also it appears you can just swap out the HDD. So I would get the biggest 2.5" HDD and put them all on the HDD.

If you know what BDMV is, you would understand that not allowing it without protection in the PS3 basically results in a not possible 1:1 backup of the disc (menus, movie, extras, etc.). You can do the copy, but the PS3 won't play it. There is not a better or worse method, it's impossible. Think about the software lock NVIDIA had with SLI and Intel chipsets. It's perfectly possible, it's just Sony not allowing it. Other standalone players has no such limitation.

If you're going to extract the video and audio streams, muxing them into another container and playing them from your HDD, that's another story. You wouldn't need a PS3 then.