PDA

View Full Version : X58 BloodRage Heatsink/Waterblock/Extreme Cooling Compatibility List

saaya
12-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Hey Guys,

Heres a list of CPU Heatsink/Waterblock/Extreme Cooling solutions that are known to fit on BloodRage.
Since one of its unique features are the 775 mounting holes, there are two lists, one for 775 and one for 1366 Solutions :)

Note: 775 PushPin Heatsinks like the Intel Stock Heatsinks are NOT officially supported... you might be able to fit them but since the 1366 cpu socket is higher/thicker than the 775 cpu socket, the PushPins will either not mount safely and pop out again, or you will bend and possibly damage the pcb. On some Heatsinks the PushPins are longer and more flexible

High end Heatsinks and other Cooling solutions cost quite some money, and they are usually mounted with backplates, so the hight of the cpu socket doesnt matter for them. Thats why we added the 775 mounting holes so you guys wont have to spend extra money on a new and expensive 1366 Heatsink or a 1366 retention kit upgrade, you dont have the hassle to search for one and dont have to wait for it to arrive. Not to mention that there are great 775 Cooling Solutions out there that unfortunately dont have 1366 bracket upgrades available.

Known to work 775 solutions:
Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme
Asus Silent Knight II
Coolermaster Gemini II
Coolermaster Hyper TX2 (pushpins but fits fine)
Coolermaster V8
Coolermaster Z600
Coolink Silentator
Noctua NH-U12P
Noctua NHC 12P
Duniek cu/alu cpu tube
EK Supreme Waterblock
Fuzion V1 Waterblock
KingPin F1 POT
KingPin F1EE POT
Kingblock POT by AlexTa
Koolance CPU-340 Waterblock
Koolance CPU-345AC Waterblock
Koolance CPU-345AT Waterblock
Koolance CPU-350AC Waterblock
Mach2 GT 775 mounting Kit
MPZ Copper/Alu Pot
OCZ Cryo-Z 775 mounting Kit
OCZ HydroFlow Waterblock
Scythe Ninja Copper
Scythe Orochi
Swiftech Apogeee Drive Waterblock
Swiftech Apogeee GT Waterblock
Swiftech Apogeee GTX Waterblock
Swiftech Apogeee GTZ Waterblock
Swiftech MCX 775-V
Thermalright TRU Ultra-120A 1
Thermalright TRUE Ultra-120 eXtreme 1
Thermalright TRUE Ultra-120 eXtreme Full-Copper 1
Thermaltake V1 AX
Tuniq Tower 120
Xigmatek Achilles
Ybris ACS Waterblock
Ybris One-Evo Waterblock
Zalman CNPS-9300
Zalman CNPS-9500
Zalman CNPS-9700
Zalman CNPS-9900
Zalman WB3 Gold Waterblock
Zalman WB4 Gold Waterblock
Zalman WB4 PLUS Waterblock
Zalman WB5 Waterblock

Known to work 1366 solutions:
CoolerMaster V8 *
DangerDen MC-TDX Waterblock
DangerDen MPC-CPU Waterblock
Dynatron G555
Intel 1366 Stock Heatsinks
Koolance CPU-340 Waterblock *
Koolance CPU-345AC Waterblock
Koolance CPU-345AT Waterblock
Koolance CPU-350AC Waterblock
Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
Swiftech Apogeee Drive Waterblock *
Swiftech Apogeee GT Waterblock *
Swiftech Apogeee GTX Waterblock *
Swiftech Apogeee GTZ Waterblock *
Thermalright TRU Ultra-120A * 1
Thermalright TRUE Ultra-120 eXtreme * 1
Thermalright TRUE Ultra-120 eXtreme * 1
Thermaltake V1 AX
Thermaltake CL-P0501
Thermaltake CL-P0532
Thermaltake CL-P0533
Vigor Monsoon III
Zalman CNPS-9300 *
Zalman CNPS-9500 *
Zalman CNPS-9700 *
Zalman CNPS-9900 *

* This is not a native 1366 solution. There are newer versions with 1366 mounting hole support and older versions without. For BloodRage either version will fit and work fine, for other Boards you need the 1366 backplate so if you use several boards or can chose between either 775 or 1366 mounting solutions you should get the version with the 1366 backplate/mounting plate.

1 The Wire fanclip works best as it allows the fan to be elevated slightly and moved around a bit and as result even memory modules with large heatspreaders can be installed. Dont let the fan push the memory in slot1 back! Mount the fan elevated so it sits above the memory heatsink and doesnt push it from the side. The Fanbracket hits high memory heatsinks in the first memory slot and blocks them, if the memory has low or no heatsinks it will fit but once the fan is installed it will prevent the first memory stick from getting removed/exchanged.

not supported/recommended:
Intel 775 Stock Heatsink - 775 PushPin
OCZ Gladiator - 775 PushPin
OCZ Gladiator MAX - 775 PushPin
OCZ Vanquisher - 775 PushPin
OCZ Vendetta - 775 PushPin
OCZ Vendetta 2 - 775 PushPin
Scythe Andy Samurai Master - 775 PushPin
Scythe Katana - 775 PushPin
Scythe Mugen - 775 PushPin
Scythe Ninja Mini - 775 PushPin
Scythe Ninja PLUS - 775 PushPin
Scythe Ninja 2 - 775 PushPin
Scythe Orochi - 775 PushPin
SunbeamTech Core Contact Freeze - 775 PushPin
Thermalright IFX-14 - 775 PushPin
Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120 VX - 775 PushPin
Xigmatek Red Scorpion - 775 PushPin

If you have a heatsink that doesnt seem to fit please let us know and post some pictures if possible.
If you use a heatsink that is not on the list yet and it fits well, please let us know so we can add it to the list here!
Ill add more and more heatsinks here over time, please help me to make this list as complete as possible, thanks! :toast:

BenchZowner
12-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Perhaps add the ThermalRight Ultra-120 ( non-Extreme ) and the True Black, and the True Copper as they're all compatible ;)

DeanB
12-30-2008, 08:09 AM
I get mine Friday, I'll be checking NB compatibility with the stock pipe system and our 1366 block should fit it as well :).

saaya
12-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Perhaps add the ThermalRight Ultra-120 ( non-Extreme ) and the True Black, and the True Copper as they're all compatible ;)alright! thanks! :toast:

Dean;3537340']I get mine Friday, I'll be checking NB compatibility with the stock pipe system and our 1366 block should fit it as well :).great! thanks! :toast:

do you think it will be difficult to create a custom hold down mechanism to mount koolance blocks on the chipset-heatpipe system of BloodRage? do you have any recommendations for the position of the mounting holes or the mounting mechanism for our chipset-heatpipe system?
originally i wanted to create it in a way that koolance and other waterblocks can be mounted as well, and third party chipset heatsinks too, but it turned out to be quite complex and we didnt have the time and resources and wanted to keep the design simple. you guys are very experienced with mounting brackets, so any suggestions? :)

DeanB
12-30-2008, 09:46 PM
alright! thanks! :toast:

great! thanks! :toast:

do you think it will be difficult to create a custom hold down mechanism to mount koolance blocks on the chipset-heatpipe system of BloodRage? do you have any recommendations for the position of the mounting holes or the mounting mechanism for our chipset-heatpipe system?
originally i wanted to create it in a way that koolance and other waterblocks can be mounted as well, and third party chipset heatsinks too, but it turned out to be quite complex and we didnt have the time and resources and wanted to keep the design simple. you guys are very experienced with mounting brackets, so any suggestions? :)

Well... not many other manufacturers use single components blocks anymore, it seems to be shifting towards full coverage blocks. But we offer them and don't ever plan on discontinuing them due to their awesome flexibility. We really just need two holes located anywhere. If you want to take a look at a short installation manual here (http://www.koolance.com/support/manuals.html?product_id=662), you'll see page three has a good description of how we mount ours on a motherboard. The biggest problem I've had with boards is that the contact area above the northbridge is either too small (doesn't look to be the case here at all :up:) or there are raised portions around the contact area that interfere with appropriate contact (again not the case :up::up:).

I see on the board though you have four screws that hold down your northbridge cooler... we will probably end up revising our mounting hardware slightly to account for such situations... but I'll see when I get to mess around a bit on Friday :D. I'll send you a PM with what I find if you'd like.

saaya
12-30-2008, 11:07 PM
yes, please do! :)
well i plan to make the mounting hole dimensions for the entire board public and post them here, so any manufacturer or even end users can build their own cooling solutions or modify existing ones to fit :)

The mounting holes of the BloodRage Heatsink Main Copper Base in the center are as follows:
hole diamter = ~3mm
northwest to southwest center to center = ~33.0mm
northwest to northeast center to center = ~53.0mm
northwest to southeast center to center = ~66.6mm
the maximum square size a waterblock should have is 65x40mm, and it can actually stretch beyond that in most directions :)

Touge180SX
12-31-2008, 01:39 AM
Saaya,

Swiftech Apogee GTX fits with GTZ 1366 mounting plate and backplate!

saaya
12-31-2008, 02:01 AM
alright! :)
it doesnt fit with the 775 backplate tho? :confused: how come?
glad you could get a board before 2009! lol :D
have fun with it :toast:

EDIT: wait, gtx?
i thought theres only GT and GTZ? :D
So theres a new backplate from swiftech with 1366 holes for the GT and GTZ?
Do you know if it works with the Swiftech Drive waterblock too? i guess it does right?
i added those 3 heatsinks to the list of 1366 cooling solutions :)

saaya
12-31-2008, 02:21 AM
btw, i googled a lot and cant find any more 1366 heatsinks...
there seem to be only 6 native 1366 heatsinks and another 6 that work with a new retention bracket... is that all? :confused:
im really glad we made the move to add 775 mounting holes, there are almost no 1366 heatsinks out there it seems and finding and getting the 1366 upgrade retention brackets seems to be a bit of a hassle.

Touge180SX
12-31-2008, 02:58 AM
alright! :)
it doesnt fit with the 775 backplate tho? :confused: how come?
glad you could get a board before 2009! lol :D
have fun with it :toast:

EDIT: wait, gtx?
i thought theres only GT and GTZ? :D
So theres a new backplate from swiftech with 1366 holes for the GT and GTZ?
Do you know if it works with the Swiftech Drive waterblock too? i guess it does right?
i added those 3 heatsinks to the list of 1366 cooling solutions :)

Yep, there was a GTX. The GTX was the model after the GT and before the GTZ. The difference between the 775 backplate and the 1366 backplate is the hole in the middle. As you know, the 1366 socket has a bracket on the back of the mobo which the 775 does not so the X shaped 775 backplate won't fit over this bracket. Pictures below. The first one is the GTX waterblock, the second is the 775 backplate, and the third is the 1366 backplate and 1366 bracket for the waterblocks. All three blocks, the GT, GTX, and GTZ all use the same backplate.

Touge180SX
12-31-2008, 03:02 AM
Saaya, also, the Swiftech GT, GTX, and GTZ will not work without the 1366 backplate and bracket.

saaya
01-02-2009, 02:59 AM
Yep, there was a GTX. The GTX was the model after the GT and before the GTZ. The difference between the 775 backplate and the 1366 backplate is the hole in the middle. As you know, the 1366 socket has a bracket on the back of the mobo which the 775 does not so the X shaped 775 backplate won't fit over this bracket. Pictures below. The first one is the GTX waterblock, the second is the 775 backplate, and the third is the 1366 backplate and 1366 bracket for the waterblocks. All three blocks, the GT, GTX, and GTZ all use the same backplate.
hmmm ok... i cant find anything about an apogee GTX on the swiftech site or on google, so maybe it was the ES version of the GTZ or something?

Saaya, also, the Swiftech GT, GTX, and GTZ will not work without the 1366 backplate and bracket.are you sure?
hmmm the TRUE 775 and 1366 and other heatsinks and waterblock backplates dont have a hole in the center for the backplate of the 1366 socket either, but they still fit.

theres the socket backplate and the heatsink/waterblock backplates just sit on top of that... i guess the tiny elevations on the end of the backplate dont stick through the 775 mounting holes so mounting might be more tricky, but id think the 775 backplate still works... can you have a look again and check? unfortunately i couldnt find any swiftech stuff here in asia and even tho the details on the swiftech site are great, there isnt any info on the diameters of the backplates.

Ill remove the swiftech heatsinks from the 775 solutions list for now and will keep them on the list of 1366 solutions (with the 1366 backplate)

Touge180SX
01-02-2009, 03:32 AM
Saaya,

If you go to the Swiftech website and click the Liquid Cooling item, scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see discontinued products, it is under there. The reason it was discontinued is because the GTZ took it's place.

As for the 775 backplate, like you said, the holes just aren't high enough up to reach through for the screws. You might be able to bend the backplate enough to reach but in my opinion that would just put unneeded stress on the socket especially when you can buy the 1366 backplate and adapter from Swiftech for $10. :up:

BenchZowner
01-02-2009, 03:40 AM
Yeah Touge180SX you're right, bending the backplate would be the worst idea ever, and might even end up f* up your system.

Touge180SX
01-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Yeah, especially when the right backplate can be bought from for $10

saaya
01-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Saaya,

If you go to the Swiftech website and click the Liquid Cooling item, scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see discontinued products, it is under there. The reason it was discontinued is because the GTZ took it's place.

As for the 775 backplate, like you said, the holes just aren't high enough up to reach through for the screws. You might be able to bend the backplate enough to reach but in my opinion that would just put unneeded stress on the socket especially when you can buy the 1366 backplate and adapter from Swiftech for $10. :up:
ahhh ok...
well i already removed the swiftech blocks with 775 mounting kit from the list :)
i guess its possible to fit the 775 backplate with longer screws or maybe thin nuts on the backside of the board instead of the backplate in case your in a region where you cant find the 1366 backplate... but its not recommended :)

Touge180SX
01-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Sounds good! I know the 1366 backplate is really hard to find right now and sold out almost everywhere in the US. I'm lucky no one here in Japan does a lot of extreme computers! :p:

saaya
01-05-2009, 12:49 AM
well your rig is assembled already so i dont wanna bother you about checking if the 775 plate fits :D
Looks very sweet btw, especially the red tubing... whats that blue pcb card tho? :P get some spray paint or nailpolish and get it red! ^^
do you have higher res pics of the rig? your avatar pic looks a bit washed out and pixeled. or maybe its cause you saved it as jpeg? try png :)

Touge180SX
01-05-2009, 02:44 AM
Thanks Saaya! Those pics were actually taken with my cell phone! :p: I'm not sure what's up with that PCB! I ordered the identical GPU that I had already and the newer models come with a green PCB! I was sooooo pissed! Where you able to email me that Beta BIOS yet?

saaya
01-05-2009, 03:55 AM
i mailed it out but it seems it got stuck in our mail servers... again :rolleyes:
let me try again :D

Touge180SX
01-05-2009, 04:00 AM
Ok, thanks Saaya!

Eidos
01-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Will the Vigor Monsoon III LT CPU Cooler on the Blood Rage cause any issues, you think? I guess the second problem would be my G.skill Pi Black Ram that's installed. It seems as though the heatspeader would interfere with this cooler especially since the fans can't be raised like on a Thermalright. Saaya said that even with the Thermalright, the fan had to be raised a bit if using the Corsair memory, but I'm not sure how tall his modules are. Seems that cooling solutions are a pain, at the moment, especially when you are looking at having it all in a case and not water cooling.

Product Page:
http://www.vigorgaming.com/components/cmp_monsooniiilite_intel.html

Additional Photos:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=35-702-007-04.jpg&Image=35-702-007-10.jpg%2c35-702-007-04.jpg%2c35-702-007-05.jpg%2c35-702-007-06.jpg%2c35-702-007-07.jpg%2c35-702-007-08.jpg%2c35-702-007-09.jpg%2c35-702-007-11.jpg%2c35-702-007-12.jpg%2c35-702-007-02.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16835702007&Depa=0&Description=Vigor%20Monsoon%20III%20LT%20Dual%2012 0mm%20Fan%20CPU%20Cooler%20Socket%201366%20Ready

G.Skill Pi Ram:
http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bbs/data/g_ddr3/F3_12800CL8T_PI_B_1.jpg

Touge180SX
01-09-2009, 03:36 PM
From the pictures I saw on Newegg, the Monsoon's backplate won't fit because it is an X shape and will be blocked by the 1366 socket plate on the back of the mobo, same problem I had with my Swiftech GTX 775 backplate. You need a backplate that is setup like the one in the picture which is for 1366. As for the RAM and the cooler, it will be a tight fit and the only way to really tell is to give it a try. Hope that helps.

Eidos
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
From the pictures I saw on Newegg, the Monsoon's backplate won't fit because it is an X shape and will be blocked by the 1366 socket plate on the back of the mobo, same problem I had with my Swiftech GTX 775 backplate. You need a backplate that is setup like the one in the picture which is for 1366. As for the RAM and the cooler, it will be a tight fit and the only way to really tell is to give it a try. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I thought it'd be a tight fit, but didn't think about the backplate. Will the Thermalright one work fine for the TRUE?

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/u120ex-1366rt/product_cpu_cooler_1366rt.html

Touge180SX
01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Should work fine according to Thermalright as it is a 1366 backplate. Saaya, can you confirm this?

Bojamijams
01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
What about the d-tek fuzion v1 or v2?

Bojamijams
01-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh come on, no word on compatibility with one of the best i7 coolers? (better design for i7 then GTZ and EK)

Touge180SX
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Just wondering but why do you say that it is better than the EK and GTZ for cooling i7?

systemviper
01-14-2009, 04:18 PM
That bloodrage is compatable with me, i can tell you that, I just toook the board out of the box for hte first time, it's a thing of beauty, WOW. It is so sweet, nice heatpipes, all screwed down, no pushpins, all have backplates, I think this has to be one of the best boards I have ever held. I have the EK Supreme, black Derlin for it.... :up:

Touge180SX
01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
I concur that the Bloodrage is one of the nicest boards ever! I have been loving mine, especially at the 4.2Ghz I have it with temps of 60C at 100% load on my Swiftech GTX! :up:

Bojamijams
01-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Just wondering but why do you say that it is better than the EK and GTZ for cooling i7?

All waterblock designs that use a center inlet will be better at disspating heat then the corner to corner ones due to the nature of the i7 build

Touge180SX
01-14-2009, 09:33 PM
All waterblock designs that use a center inlet will be better at disspating heat then the corner to corner ones due to the nature of the i7 build

That makes sense! :up: All I know is my Swiftech GTX is keeping my 4.2Ghz i7 920 at 100% load @ 60C so I'm happy with that, especially since I already had the GTX from my 775 build. :)

gr8golf
01-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Here's something - I tried to use the new Thermalright fan retention bracket with my Bloodrage and it's a no-go. The RAM slots are too close to the CPU / HS to fit it on there. The wire clips *might* work, but they basically suck. Anyone else run into this / have some good workarounds?

Touge180SX
01-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Here's something - I tried to use the new Thermalright fan retention bracket with my Bloodrage and it's a no-go. The RAM slots are too close to the CPU / HS to fit it on there. The wire clips *might* work, but they basically suck. Anyone else run into this / have some good workarounds?

Good info, thanks! Saaya should update the list soon as I know he is busy helping get the BIOS perfect! :clap:

Eidos
01-23-2009, 06:20 AM

The fan holder can interfere with the RAM as I have a TRUE along with both clips and holders. Clips work best as they hold the fan closer and can be modified (bent just right so the tension holds still) to not interfere with nearby objects if that is a problem. Also, I got a slimmer fan (120mm x 20mm Yate Loon) and that helps out too, but that doesn't help out with the holder, just the clips. Also, when installing, you can move the heatsink around a tad before tightening it completely as there's more than enough surface area on the base to cover the i7, so you can move it back a tad if you need more room on the front end. If you're using 2 fans, then the one on the backside has more room and no RAM heatsink fins, etc. in the way there so it doesn't cause any problems.

ilsant0
01-24-2009, 05:09 AM
[snip]
If you're using 2 fans, then the one on the backside has more room and no RAM heatsink fins, etc. in the way there so it doesn't cause any problems.

I would like to mount a noctua NH-U12P SE1366 on bloodrage, but i'm perplexed on the area between the noctua's fan and the first ram slot, because some rams have the heatsink fins (such as carsair dominator or csx diablo 2000).
So do you know incompatibility about that?
It would be interesting to know the distance between the socket and the first slot of ram in order to calculate the height useful

Thank you..and sorry for my tremendous english... :ROTF:

Touge180SX
01-24-2009, 05:12 AM
I would like to mount a noctua NH-U12P SE1366 on bloodrage, but i'm perplexed on the area between the noctua's fan and the first ram slot, because some rams have the heatsink fins (such as carsair dominator or csx diablo 2000).
It would be interesting to know the distance between the socket and the first slot of ram in order to calculate the height useful

ilsant0,

When I get home tomorrow I will measure from the edge of the socket to the first RAM slot for you unless someone here does it first. :up:

maxxx
01-24-2009, 07:41 AM
I installed a TRUE with a 25mm thick fan. The fan hits the ram and I hope this won't cause too much of a problem in the long run. Gonna mod the fan a little bit so it wont push the ram.

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp101/maxxx_ph/My%20Computer/P1240274_web.jpg

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp101/maxxx_ph/My%20Computer/P1240275_web.jpg

Touge180SX
01-24-2009, 01:38 PM
How much is it pushing the RAM? Also, do you have a fan on the other side of the TRUE and if not can you move the fan to that side?

gr8golf
01-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Obviously the RAM slots were placed way too close to the socket - guess they figured everyone was going to use the stock Intel HS. :D

maxxx
01-24-2009, 04:37 PM
How much is it pushing the RAM? Also, do you have a fan on the other side of the TRUE and if not can you move the fan to that side?
@Touge180SX: it really doesn't push the ram much. I managed to move the fan a little higher so the fan and the ram barely touches, but I think its still too close for comfort. Oh yeah, I do have another fan in the other end. Its in a push-pull config. ;)

Used to have 38mm thick fans there in the same config, but that was when I was testing a set of Quimoda (Aenon) ram. Wanted the use that config but as you can see, it's not possible. Changing the orientation of the TRUE would really render it useless... :D

You can see that there is a very small clearance now. Just barely...

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp101/maxxx_ph/My%20Computer/P1250277_web.jpg

Obviously the RAM slots were placed way too close to the socket - guess they figured everyone was going to use the stock Intel HS
Maybe they have their reasons for doing so. Looking at the stock hsf of the i7-920, i'd think the clearance would be still be small.

Edit: Above setup killed the ram in the 1st slot. :( Praying the motherboard is still fine.
Installed the ram in another computer and ran memtest, errors galore. :(
Any suggestion for another air cooler for this motherboard ('cept for stock that is) or use a 120x20mm fan like what Eidos is using http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3598317&postcount=35? A friend in Japan uses a Scythe Mugen2 and is having the same problem.

ilsant0
01-25-2009, 06:19 AM
@Touge180SX:

[snip]

Edit: Above setup killed the ram in the 1st slot. :( Praying the motherboard is still fine.
Any suggestion for another air cooler for this motherboard ('cept for stock that is) or use a 120x20mm fan like what Eidos is using http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3598317&postcount=35? A friend in Japan uses a Scythe Mugen2 and is having the same problem.

omg...im afraid for your ram... :(:eek:
howhere thank you for the photos.

i had the suspect of this iusses on this mobo...the ram slots were placed too close to the socket... so the heatsink o simply aircooler fan will generate a big incompatibility list...
I like the noctua NH-U12P SE1366 ill use it on my bloodrage, but i dont' know is will be present the same your problem about first ram bank... :(

More photo for this particulary situation?...
:confused::shocked:

ilsant0
01-25-2009, 06:22 AM
ilsant0,

When I get home tomorrow I will measure from the edge of the socket to the first RAM slot for you unless someone here does it first. :up:

Thank you very much! :up:

I'm waiting that my bloodrage arrive me, but I dont know yet what kind of aircooler take for it

maxxx
01-25-2009, 06:48 AM
More photo for this particulary situation?...
@ilsant0: Below is an interim solution, until I can find a permanent one. Not the best solution I know, but will have to do for now.

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp101/maxxx_ph/My%20Computer/P1250279_web.jpg

Spent the whole day trying to figure out why it wont boot on x64 with 6GB of ram. Darn G15/16 bios'es... :shrug:

Touge180SX
01-25-2009, 03:06 PM
@ilsant0: Below is an interim solution, until I can find a permanent one. Not the best solution I know, but will have to do for now.

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp101/maxxx_ph/My%20Computer/P1250279_web.jpg

Spent the whole day trying to figure out why it wont boot on x64 with 6GB of ram. Darn G15/16 bios'es... :shrug:

Yeah, I'm still using the G13 BIOS as I find it the most stable.

As for the RAM slots problem, and I know this is not an excuse, but I think the guys over at Foxconn where expecting most people who purchase this board would be on water. Still a problem though!

maxxx
01-25-2009, 04:49 PM
As for the RAM slots problem, and I know this is not an excuse, but I think the guys over at Foxconn where expecting most people who purchase this board would be on water. Still a problem though!
I am considering in moving into water now... :D

Touge180SX
01-25-2009, 05:51 PM
I am considering in moving into water now... :D

You won't regret it, trust me! :up:

Richie P
01-26-2009, 04:10 PM

Just to confirm, Fuzion v1 working fine here - it's just got the bolt through threads so it doesn't interfere with the i7 backplate at all :D

Kevin Archibald
01-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Concerning the TRUE w/2 fans and the bad RAM, was the fan closest to the first slot RAM mistakenly in the direction to move the hot air from the heatsink onto the RAM? I was looking at the pictures, and I couldn't tell if the way the fans were set up whether the airflow was from RAM to heatsink to rear exhaust fan, or somehow things got reversed so that the TRUE fan closest to the rear exhaust fan was moving air from the rear exhaust area and moving it onto the RAM.

The reason I ask is that most other pictures I've seen of the TRUE are with one TRUE fan pointing towards the case bottom, and the description is that air is moving from the bottom of the case through the heatsink and out of the top of the case with case fans (like on the Cosmos). I've got the same Thermalright fans, and if I match that fan orientation, and then reverse it for the second fan, that reversed fan looks like your fan closest to the RAM. If their airflow is from bottom of the case to the top of the case, then a reversed fan at the top would be moving air toward the top of the case, which in your case means it would blowing hot air into your RAM.

Anyway, maybe you have the right fan orientation and your first slot RAM error was caused by vibration? Your fan orientation would be helpful to me since I have the same motherboard, heatsink, two of the Thermalright 1600 fans with the plastic holders, and I'm trying to figure out which direction to face the fans to move the air from RAM to heatsink to the rear exhaust fan (since the east-west heatsink orientation covers the first slot).

Moving the fan up and away from the first RAM slot looks feasible. I'm also considering forgoing the second fan. One review I read of the single-fan TRUE is that it was very close to the cooling of the 2-fan Noctua, so that's why I got the second fan, thinking then the TRUE would be as good or better. But maybe a single fan would be worth the slightly decreased cooling (and it would reduce noise, too), since maybe moving the second fan up decreased the effectiveness of the second fan anyway.

Thanks!

Telo
01-31-2009, 03:13 AM
Obviously the RAM slots were placed way too close to the socket - guess they figured everyone was going to use the stock Intel HS. :D

Two reasons:

1. That makes for a shorter path between the CPU and the RAM. Hell, they even removed the second RAM bank for that reason.

2. I think their idea was for people to use mainly watercooling.
Why you ask? Well, take a look at the design of the new NB block compared to the BlackOps block, its a difference of night and day.

Telo
01-31-2009, 03:25 AM

Just wondering, did you test your RAM for errors before this fan setup?

maxxx
01-31-2009, 05:18 AM
Just wondering, did you test your RAM for errors before this fan setup?
Yup, used Memtest. :)

saaya
02-06-2009, 04:43 AM
Will the Vigor Monsoon III LT CPU Cooler on the Blood Rage cause any issues, you think? I guess the second problem would be my G.skill Pi Black Ram that's installed. It seems as though the heatspeader would interfere with this cooler especially since the fans can't be raised like on a Thermalright. Saaya said that even with the Thermalright, the fan had to be raised a bit if using the Corsair memory, but I'm not sure how tall his modules are. Seems that cooling solutions are a pain, at the moment, especially when you are looking at having it all in a case and not water cooling.

Product Page:
http://www.vigorgaming.com/components/cmp_monsooniiilite_intel.html

Additional Photos:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=35-702-007-04.jpg&Image=35-702-007-10.jpg%2c35-702-007-04.jpg%2c35-702-007-05.jpg%2c35-702-007-06.jpg%2c35-702-007-07.jpg%2c35-702-007-08.jpg%2c35-702-007-09.jpg%2c35-702-007-11.jpg%2c35-702-007-12.jpg%2c35-702-007-02.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16835702007&Depa=0&Description=Vigor%20Monsoon%20III%20LT%20Dual%2012 0mm%20Fan%20CPU%20Cooler%20Socket%201366%20Ready

G.Skill Pi Ram:
http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bbs/data/g_ddr3/F3_12800CL8T_PI_B_1.jpg
Hmmm im sorry, i dont think the monsoon will fit with both fans installed.
If you remove the one on the side of the mem then it might fit... or if you mount it elevated slightly higher above the ram... that heatsink is a tight fit on the P6T already, any board with the mem slots closer to the cpu socket for shorter memory traces and hence better ocing like the intel smackover, BR or gigiabyte boards will probabaly not fit...

Im sure you CAN fit it, but itll need some DIY :D

From the pictures I saw on Newegg, the Monsoon's backplate won't fit because it is an X shape and will be blocked by the 1366 socket plate on the back of the mobo, same problem I had with my Swiftech GTX 775 backplate. You need a backplate that is setup like the one in the picture which is for 1366. As for the RAM and the cooler, it will be a tight fit and the only way to really tell is to give it a try. Hope that helps.it depends on the length of the screws actually, if they are long enough than thats not a problem... the 1366 socket backplate will just elevate the backplate a bit... and if the screws are too short, you could def fit it with longer screws, again DIY is king :D

Thanks, I thought it'd be a tight fit, but didn't think about the backplate. Will the Thermalright one work fine for the TRUE?

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu/u120ex-1366rt/product_cpu_cooler_1366rt.htmlyepp, we are using TRUEs here :D

Should work fine according to Thermalright as it is a 1366 backplate. Saaya, can you confirm this?yepp! :yepp:

This is V1 i suppose?
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=182

it looks like its beeing mounted with some sort of custom pushpin and without a backplate... depending on the pushpins itll either work or not... if they are adjustable enough to make up for the extra hight of the 1366 cpu socket then it should fit...

V2 is this one:
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=210

looks like the thermalright spring screws with a tuniq tower style backplate.
should work provided the springs arent too tight, but i think they are too tight... the 1366 cpu socket is only 1mm higher, but the backplate of the 1366 cpu socket is 2mm thick, so together itll be an extra thickness of 3mm... it might work or not... if it doesnt, replacing the springs on the screws or using different screws should work. and again DIY is king :D

Id recommend to ask them about a 1366 kit though, im sure a V2 1366 kit is already in the makes and should work without any mods or fiddling :)

Oh come on, no word on compatibility with one of the best i7 coolers? (better design for i7 then GTZ and EK)

didnt ignore your post :P
ive been pretty sick for a few weeks and didnt post much here, and until today there were 2 week chinese new year holidays here, sorry i didnt reply sooner :)

That bloodrage is compatable with me, i can tell you that, I just toook the board out of the box for hte first time, it's a thing of beauty, WOW. It is so sweet, nice heatpipes, all screwed down, no pushpins, all have backplates, I think this has to be one of the best boards I have ever held. I have the EK Supreme, black Derlin for it.... :up:glad you like it!!! :D :toast:

EK supreme is with 775 or 1366 mounting holes?
can i add it to the list? :D

I concur that the Bloodrage is one of the nicest boards ever! I have been loving mine, especially at the 4.2Ghz I have it with temps of 60C at 100% load on my Swiftech GTX! :up:wow, you got your 920 to 4.2? :o 21x200? :o what vcore?

the wire clips work cause you can hook the lower one in an inch higher than normal and then have the fan slightly elevated :D
if the memory has large heatspreaders thats necessary, but for normal heatspreaders things should work fine?

The fan holder can interfere with the RAM as I have a TRUE along with both clips and holders. Clips work best as they hold the fan closer and can be modified (bent just right so the tension holds still) to not interfere with nearby objects if that is a problem. Also, I got a slimmer fan (120mm x 20mm Yate Loon) and that helps out too, but that doesn't help out with the holder, just the clips. Also, when installing, you can move the heatsink around a tad before tightening it completely as there's more than enough surface area on the base to cover the i7, so you can move it back a tad if you need more room on the front end. If you're using 2 fans, then the one on the backside has more room and no RAM heatsink fins, etc. in the way there so it doesn't cause any problems.
cool, thanks for the details! :toast:

Distance of the edge of the first memory slot to the edge of the 1366 cpu socket is 26mm :toast:

Obviously the RAM slots were placed way too close to the socket - guess they figured everyone was going to use the stock Intel HS. :Dno, we figured with i7 not tolerating high vdimm and all chip makers focussing on 1.35-1.8v vdimm for their new chips memory sticks with huge heatsinks would not be as popular anymore, AND, most importantly, we figured having lots of space for heatsinks on the memory is less important than achieving high memory overclocks thanks to shorters and optimized memory traces :D
actually gigabyte boards and intels own smackover board have less space between the edge of the cpu socket and the first memory slot :)

yeah, thats how i mounted the fan as well, worked fine for me, the sligthly lower airflow didnt seem to change the temperatures at all, it doesnt look that pretty tho, true :D

so is the mem fine or not?
could it be that it was damaged in another way?
i cant imagine how the mem died if the fan barely touched it... hmmm too bad... :(

Regarding G15/G16.. sorry :(

I am considering in moving into water now... :Di7 loves water! :D

You won't regret it, trust me! :up:
oh yes! ive seen a 965 at 4.6 on water, thats where some chips max out on ln2! :D dont know what it is with i7 and low temps, but it barely scales below zero...

Just to confirm, Fuzion v1 working fine here - it's just got the bolt through threads so it doesn't interfere with the i7 backplate at all :D
nice! so they have enough flexibility to make up for the slightly higher cpu socket on 1366, cool! :)

Two reasons:

1. That makes for a shorter path between the CPU and the RAM. Hell, they even removed the second RAM bank for that reason.

2. I think their idea was for people to use mainly watercooling.
Why you ask? Well, take a look at the design of the new NB block compared to the BlackOps block, its a difference of night and day.
yes, the main concern is to make something technically possible and not to build a solution for best compatibility at the cost of oc performance.
it was evident from day1 that i7 runs very hot when oced and while large tower heatsinks CAN cool it, they need a lot of space and airflow and in the high end segment watercooling is already very popular and fits very well. the main idea of the 775 mounting holes was for ln2 pots, dry ice pots, compressor cooling and water cooling. That a lot of heatsinks fit as well is a bonus :D

I know its annoying that some heatsinks dont fit perfectly, but think about it, whats the point of having a lot of space between all components for huge heatsinks, to cool your overclocked cpu and memory etc... when you cant overclock your memory and cpu that well cause the traces are that long? :D

imo cooling has to meet the hardware requirements and the hardware requirements dont have to meet the cooling.
cpus used to not even require a heatsink or only passive heatsinks, now do you think it was the right decision to work on a faster cpu that needed a heatsink even though it meant new cooling requirements, or should intel and amd have designed their cpus for exisiting cooling? :P\

TRUE does fit, although the fan on the memory slot side needs to be mounted slightly elevated or needs to be replaced with an 80mm or 92mm fan. and if your memory is using normal or no heatsinks the heatsink can be mounted north/south wise as well, in which case it blocks the first 2 memory sticks from getting removed, but you can mount 2 fans for perfect push pull, pull hot air from the vgas and push it to the psu exhaust fan :)

maxxx
02-06-2009, 05:00 AM
so is the mem fine or not?
could it be that it was damaged in another way?
i cant imagine how the mem died if the fan barely touched it... hmmm too bad...
Saaya, 1 stick died. Ran Memtest on it and it was producing errors all over the place. Well, took the remaining 2x2GB and plugged it into my rampage extreme.

i7 loves water!
yeah, still wearing the thinking cap for this though. :D

Glad to see you back in action. :clap: CNY vacation is done and over with, eh? :up:

Touge180SX
02-06-2009, 02:44 PM
wow, you got your 920 to 4.2? :o 21x200? :o what vcore?

Yep, 24/7 stable at 4.2Ghz at around 1.4V VCore. I'll have to check it again to confirm this though. :up:

saaya
02-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Glad to see you back in action. :clap: CNY vacation is done and over with, eh? :up:
sorry i havent been on much...
for us yeah, some in china are still on cavation tho, crazy... :D

Yep, 24/7 stable at 4.2Ghz at around 1.4V VCore. I'll have to check it again to confirm this though. :up:
thats lovely! ive seen close to 5G with 1.5v, but thats on compressor cooling :D

so it seems the more recent steppings scale more when going from above zero to sub zero?

maxxx
02-10-2009, 04:59 AM
sorry i havent been on much...
for us yeah, some in china are still on cavation tho, crazy...
Well, CNY was officially over last monday (after 15 days) so they should be full force again. hehehehe :up:

Tried a new approach in mounting the TRUEcu, finally got it to fit without hitting the ram. Wish I had done this before... yeah, I know... :(
Went back to using the fan wire clips though. This is only for 20mm or 25mm thick fans.

http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp101/maxxx_ph/My%20Computer/DSC_1891.jpg
http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp101/maxxx_ph/My%20Computer/DSC_1886.jpg

Thanks Saaya..... :clap:

saaya
02-10-2009, 05:37 AM
officially, yes, but cause of the economic situation a LOT of companies and government agencies sent their employees to CNY earlier, and let them stay there longer. Ive heard some people actually were sent home before christmas and stayed there until now... thats a whopping 2 month holiday... unfortunately for many people in china thats unpaid holidays :( we went to CNY on january 22 to february 4th iirc.

looks beautiful maxxx! :D
m really surprised how many people went for the TRUE in copper :D

Eidos
02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
1 stick died. Ran Memtest on it and it was producing errors all over the place.
Tried a new approach in mounting the TRUEcu, finally got it to fit without hitting the ram. Wish I had done this before... yeah, I know... :(
Went back to using the fan wire clips though. This is only for 20mm or 25mm thick fans.

Funny, I have the TRUE and the G.skill Pi Ram so we have the same physical issues with our setup (I just don't trust water coursing through my system at this time). I use a case, though (Sunbeamtech Transformer), so moving the fan up wasn't an option, but the side case fan spills over the ram and give the front CPU Cooler fan better air flow. The pressure wan't great on the first stick so I did run my rig for a little while with a 25mm fan pushing on it while I was waiting for my 20mm fan to show up. Yes, using wire clip on the front fan is the way to go, but backside can use fan holder, thicker fan, etc. for puch/pull setup. The nice thing with wire clips is that they are easy to manipulate to make it work right. Si, I think the TRUE is really the way to go because you can make it work easily.

I do want to ask you what type of errors you were getting so that I can check mine. They all seem fine at this time, but wanted to check it further.

maxxx
02-12-2009, 12:38 AM
I do want to ask you what type of errors you were getting so that I can check mine. They all seem fine at this time, but wanted to check it further.
@Eidos: i'll check again when I get the chance. I had put that stick in its box already and its siblings are in a Rampage Extreme. :D
Btw, they are not the ones you see in the pics I posted. That's a 2nd set.

Saltine
02-14-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm running an Apogee GT with the 775 backplate just fine.... :shrug:
I did not notice any issue with installing it on the BloodRage. Maybe I am missing something.:confused:

saaya
02-16-2009, 02:51 AM
yeah, thats the great thing about fanclips, you are very flexible when it comes to mounting :)
thanks saltine! somebody said it probably wouldnt work so i took it off the list since i dint want anybody to complain
good to hear it works fine :toast:

saaya
02-16-2009, 02:54 AM
FYI, tried the Coolermaster Hyper TX2 with 775 mounting kit for a while now and it works fine despite the pushpins... :)

sheriff_jr
02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Hello iam from germany, and my english is very bad. sorry.

I have mounted the Scythe Mugen 2 on my Bloodrage with the 1366 Flip Mount Super Back-Plate system. But you can use only Ramīs with a small heatspreader like the G.Skill DIMM Kit 6GB PC3-10667U CL7-7-7-18 (DDR3-1333) (F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK) ( I use these). hope i can help you with this information.

PS: the Smartfan option from the Board dont work. :(

greats sheriff_jr

anubis_is_evil
02-24-2009, 03:36 AM
Hai saaya

wanna ask about the compability of third party waterblock for the NB and SB...

have you tried to release the cooling from the mosfet-NB-SB ? think want to use MCW30 to the NB and SB...dont really that they will be fit or not...because i dont really trust from the cooling solution that works with liquid cooling from the board itself..:)

thx saaya..

Mean Machine
04-20-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm as usual very late to the party, but the Vapochill LS with S775 kit works just fine. You'll need your own insulation though, but I suppose that's not a problem for people here. :)

Mescalamba
04-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Hai saaya

wanna ask about the compability of third party waterblock for the NB and SB...

have you tried to release the cooling from the mosfet-NB-SB ? think want to use MCW30 to the NB and SB...dont really that they will be fit or not...because i dont really trust from the cooling solution that works with liquid cooling from the board itself..:)

thx saaya..

That waterblock which is sold with Bloodrage is perfectly fine.. unlike other manufacturers solutions.. (namely ASUS and their leaking ones..). Don't worry, this one works.

azza21
04-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Might sound daft but what is the inlet and outlet of the waterblock? there is nothing in the manual?

Az

Mescalamba
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Might sound daft but what is the inlet and outlet of the waterblock? there is nothing in the manual?

Az

Doesn't matter.. I guess its ambidexterous. I tried it left in, right out. Worked. (set sides by that small logo if you want).

No1451
04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
I can add a confirmation of the HeatKiller Rev 3.0 775 working on the Bloodrage(No Backplate).

As far as I can tell it works in a vertical or horizontal configuration(doesnt seem to be anything blocking).

phsinc1
05-02-2009, 10:21 AM
can I use the TRUE120 LGA775 backplate with the bloodrage or it won't work?

Sch0cK
05-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Heatkiller 3.0 1366 with Backplate is working also well.

maxxx
05-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Everyone's going water and I am still on air. hehehe. :nuts:
Planning stage on water though.

Back on topic, I tried the Prolimatech Megahalems on the BloodRage, its a no go for me. :brick:
You can't mount a 25mm thick fan.

Mescalamba
05-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Everyone's going water and I am still on air. hehehe. :nuts:
Planning stage on water though.

Back on topic, I tried the Prolimatech Megahalems on the BloodRage, its a no go for me. :brick:
You can't mount a 25mm thick fan.

Try TRUE, it will be effective as Megahalem or better. :) Btw. there are 20mm thick 120mm Yate Loons (simply slim version), which could help too..

maxxx
05-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Try TRUE, it will be effective as Megahalem or better. Btw. there are 20mm thick 120mm Yate Loons (simply slim version), which could help too..
@Mescalamba: Thanks for the reply mate. Yeah, I am using a TRUEcu with it, just wanted to try the Megahalems. You can fit a 25mm thick fan with it. :)

maxxx
10-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Gents,

Will the HEATKILLERŪ CPU Rev3.0 1366 LT CPU Water Block fit this board? And any other water cooling solution for the chipset?

Cheers...

Mescalamba
10-03-2009, 04:41 AM
HK 3.0 will fit, no problem.

Other? I guess not, only home-made ones. I think that maybe eVGA cooling kits can fit, but not sure about that.. never saw anyone trying that..

maxxx
10-03-2009, 06:37 AM
HK 3.0 will fit, no problem.

Other? I guess not, only home-made ones. I think that maybe eVGA cooling kits can fit, but not sure about that.. never saw anyone trying that..
Thanks mate. I guess I have to live with what came with the board for chipset cooling.

scgt1
03-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Anyone know if the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme (Black Version) will fit with Dom GT'S?

scgt1
04-24-2010, 02:04 PM
No one on the above config?