PDA

View Full Version : EK barbs O-rings not compressing

hewi
12-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Im asking alot of questions since im on the verge of starting my Lian Li V1000build. I noticed that my EK 1/2" fittings have the O-rings sinked into the base of them a bit. Seem to me that the O-rings aren't compressing fully differing on the block you are trying to mount em, but on the GTZ for example. Could I just slip another O-ring to the barbs like I've seen ppl do with the Bitspower & Feser 1/2" compression fittings. Or will 2 O-rings make the seal bad, and possibly leaky ?

xTKxhom3r
12-29-2008, 10:36 PM
those o rings are supposed to sink in like that it creates a better seal

SNiiPE_DoGG
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
I know what your talking about, you need an extra O-ring on there or you could also use a Bitspower ST transfer adapter :up:

Waterlogged
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Try replacing the EK o-rings with the one that came with the GTZ. I've doubled up on o-rings before and it can be tricky on some blocks.

I don't like the idea of the BP transfer fitting on the GTZ only because the GTZ is the first Swiftech CPU block to use a properly cut G1/4" thread unlike the others that used 1/4 NPSM.

hewi
12-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Hehe...mixed answers. Tricky question I see. Im not liking the transfer adapters either, and replacing the EK barbs with the O-rings supplied with the swiftech barbs is a bit scary aswell, they are atleast twice as thick in comparison. Don't think these fittings will give me any trouble on my pump or res. but the GTZ and my XSPC Razor are the concern. So which of these would be the best for the GTZ since I have a mixed bag of fittings: 1/2" EK, 1/2" DD/Bitspower, 1/2" Feser compression or the supplied 1/2" Swiftech which dont seal my 3603 tygon as nicely as the rest of the gang.

I appreciate all answers, thanks.

chris.y2k.r1
12-30-2008, 05:18 AM
Teflon tape to the rescue!

MrToad
12-30-2008, 05:22 AM
Teflon tape to the rescue!

Please use teflon tape only in metal-to-metal joints.

For plastic or plastic-to-metal use liquid sealant (for instance Loctite 5331).

Also bear in mind that low thread counts (5 or less) might not achieve a proper seal with non-setting sealants.

chris.y2k.r1
12-30-2008, 05:33 AM
Please use teflon tape only in metal-to-metal joints.

Why? Teflon doesn't react with anything and most people don't want to use sealants if they can avoid it.

Conumdrum
12-30-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks .... er no Chris. On the GTZ you can remove the Swiftech lable and it helps. Some have added an extra o-ring. This is where the noob vs pro becomes obvious. A pro would see it right away and intuitively try adding another o-ring since they have a bag of connectors with lots of extra o-orings.. Just a thought, from another thread. Not a dig, just a reality input.

Chris.Y2k.r1 Just for you, this has been intriguing me.

32 GPM through your blocks? You actually put a measuring device on the end of the loop to verify that? It would take a 8 gallon tank to measure the flow rate even close for a 15 sec test of flow, and it takes a few seconds for a pump to get to speed.

Yep, verify please, we don't need any more mistakes after what was posted on the Onion.com today about internet truths. Ahh heck, here is the link.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27836

MrToad
12-30-2008, 05:41 AM
Why? Teflon doesn't react with anything and most people don't want to use sealants if they can avoid it.

Because there is a distinct chance of not achieving a proper seal, I mean a seal that is sound both from a mechanical and from a hydraulic point of view.

Where liquid sealants like the one in my example are cheap (alas not as cheap as teflon tape), easy to use, easy to remove, and if used properly they can achieve this.

Of course, if anyone wants to ignore this, as well as other things like mixing metals, or mounting pumps upside down, or anything else, is up to them. It's their hardware and their safety, not mine.