PDA

View Full Version : best mp3 tagging software?

strange|ife
12-29-2008, 01:18 PM
I got a zune 120 for xmas..but does not play well with my collection. 90% of my music comes from "various sources" and not directly from say itunes or ripped from my personal cd library, where I would have complete control over the ID3 info. Hence the zune see's a mess out of my music.

I have tried picard music brainz and it works for a portion of my folders, but still the process is tedious. Not to mention alot of the stuff I have is obscure, so the best thing might be just to use generic id3 info and throw them into groups that way.

alot of electronica etc. But for my actual albums is there any good good software out there that fetchs and automatically sorts stuff out??? I erar media monkey is good.

it would be nice to have these PMP's just read directories in tree structure. I used to have a cheapo player that did that, so no matter how crappy your id3 info was..it just read the folders.

11,000+ files is getting hard to manage, and my collection is small.

strange|ife
12-29-2008, 02:51 PM
might exchange for a cowon

man those looks really nice, and uses either id3 or just folder style (portable HDD)

life much easier then having to re do an entire collection. plus cowan plays all sorts of video

ahhh

strange|ife
12-30-2008, 12:54 AM
help me out I am freakin dumb with this stuff

the zune 120 has no hack to turn it into just a HDD you can drag files to in explorer yet. The software is confused with the meta tags like a mofo, even if some are correct across various albums, it will still throw artist in different spots, or just have one track here or there..even with proper tagging in the songs.

need some automated solution. no gurus here?

[XC] 2long4u
12-30-2008, 01:56 AM
I've heard Media Monkey is the best, but I've never used it personally.

Gamer67
12-30-2008, 02:01 AM
The Godfather

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Tag-Editors/The-GodFather.shtml

For the novice

http://www.fixtunes.com/fix_music_b.php?gclid=CPDdiuGK6JcCFRVbQgodxk-RDg

-X-hellfire
12-30-2008, 02:13 AM
maybe mp3tag is worth a look

strange|ife
12-30-2008, 07:16 PM
hey thanks for the suggestions

I downloaded media monkey. Must say it's impressive software, tons of stuff.

hopefully it will do the trick once I can find a few hours to sit down and get this mess fixed.

[XC] 2long4u
12-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Media Monkey will also adjust all the levels so one said MP3 isn't louder then another.

-X-hellfire
12-30-2008, 09:33 PM
2long4u;3539227']Media Monkey will also adjust all the levels so one said MP3 isn't louder then another.
yeah, that sounds like a nice feature
...i hate when you listen to something at night while reading the forums at very low volume on the stereo and all of a sudden some pron starts :eek: and probably wakes up the neighbor :shock:

:sofa:

Magnj
12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
yeah, that sounds like a nice feature
...i hate when you listen to something at night while reading the forums at very low volume on the stereo and all of a sudden some pron starts :eek: and probably wakes up the neighbor :shock:
:sofa:

I believe that's called normalizing and is kind of looked down upon in the audiophile crowd. Play it like it was recorded is pretty much the mantra.

As far as tagging Mp3tag is great. :up:

[XC] 2long4u
12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
I believe that's called normalizing and is kind of looked down upon in the audiophile crowd. Play it like it was recorded is pretty much the mantra.

Well for an audiophile aspect I wouldn't be listening to MP3's so what's the point? Besides do you think the shotty receivers they are pumping out now will be able to tell the difference?

-X-hellfire
12-30-2008, 11:49 PM

does media monkey store some normalized music info or how does it work?

...i remember i helped my sister with a cd-changer 6 discs, which had a built in database of the user preferred volume for every track stored somehow which i setup for 6 cds, which took a while, then a few weeks after that shed had done something got this, some sony i think, reset and lost all the manually normalized music... :clap:

anyway i found a normalize checkbox in MPC - Media Player Classic now and it works great so far :D

i had installed mp3tag some time ago and now when i started it there was a new version, mp3tag 2.42, which i installed and will try out as i have a zillion mp3s i never play as the playlist sorting is a tedious process... :comp10::brick::bsod::zombie:

...my main drive for then is on a RAID 5 with 3x500GB but they are quite noisy so i have another single drive which is very silent were i have music in folder like "music cache", so i know it can be deleted if i run out of space etc

these playlist change to different drives, partitions, folders etc
...the music wont play, "dead links", a smart "tag" system would be very helpful