PDA

View Full Version : shutdown hang.

Nookie420
10-22-2003, 10:04 PM
My pc hanges on shut down, no matter if i have programs running or if i shut ever prog down before shutting down/restarting. it hangs for about 40 seconds, it sucks too when im in a hurry to reboot. i have nothing in my startup menu in msconfig.

my os is XP Pro with SP1 and all the patches from Microshaft.

i have red hat 9, would it be safe to dual boot with those 2 os's on the same phisical drive but their own partitions?????????

Ulfar
10-31-2003, 05:46 AM
I had the same problem, and my system crashed yesterday, so I would backup all the data you need and format, und reinstall.

Oh and rh9, make 2 extra partitions, one 500 megs (for swap) and the other 2 gigs or moar. I dont know if rh9 requires a 3rd partition for a boot partition, but the boot would only be arround 32 megs.

Nookie420
11-01-2003, 01:38 AM
i just installed 2000 pro and it fubared my shiznit all up, cant get into xp pro now...........tried all the tricks i know of, so im gonna have to reinstall a clean xp now i guess.

i have no knowledge of dual botting. i just installed 2000 pro on its own partition and when i boot it asks what os i want to boot to, but only 2000 pro works. xp gives me some fubar message "windows 2000 cannot start, corrupt file in C:\windows\system32\.............. and thats where XP IS!!!!!!!!!!!

Nookie420
11-02-2003, 03:04 PM
yeah, i just did a clean install of XP Pro SP1a and 2000 Pro SP4 everything runs great now. Cept taskbar freezes for a bit after startup, its network related caue if i disable my LAN connection its fine. I'm tryin to find the rooot of the the problem/