PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 and Phase change = no Boot

Bulldog
10-22-2003, 08:49 PM
A M8 posted this on another forum..any ideas??..Thanks
I am currently based in Ireland and have also bought a Prometia Mach 2 kit with Li-Lian PC 75. I also have the GeForce FX 5900 Ultra and the P4 3.0C. I have 1 gig of OCZ 3500 DDR ram….my current problem is that I cannot get my computer to boot up. I have bought 2 different motherboards. The 1st is the Gigabyte’s 8KNXP (Canterwood) and the second is the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (also Canterwood). I was previously using water cooling and both the boards boot up well with the water cooling or the air cooling setup but when I start using phase change I am only able to get the system booting up to the initial hardware check boot screen, but when Windows is about to load, the computer reboots. The temp in the BIOS is -25 celcius. I can stay in the BIOS as long as I want and I know it is not the microfreezer cause it actually boots up and it brings the temp down. I cannot even reinstall my windows setup as the screen just freezes halfway during the initial setup procedure. I am using Win Xp . I have tried booting up with serial ATA as well as parallel as the primary hard-disc. Did you guys (with Pentium chips) have any of these problems with your setup or do you think you could give me some advice…maybe I am doing something wrong?? I have 3 harddiscs Maxtor 120 gig and 80 gig as primary master and slave setting. A DVD-ROM and DVD+/- RW as secondary master and slave and a Maxtor 120gig hardrive in serial ATA setting. I have tried altering the setting to the basic by using one hard-disc and optical drive but also get the same error. I try to boot the system with the default setting (not overclocked) and i still get the same problem but when i change the microfreezer on the CPU to air or water cooling...no problems the system boots up like a charm. Anybody out there with a Canterwood board and Mach 2??
HELP!!!

Thanks in advance.

QuadDamage
10-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Some 3.0C malay chips don't like sub-zero temps, that's all i can say, but are you sure the cooling head makes perfect contact with core?

Major
10-22-2003, 10:54 PM
unfortuantely that would be my guess too, if it was a retail cpu and you haven't lapped it then you can go through Intel to arrange rma replacement if you won't to go that route.

Bulldog
10-23-2003, 12:10 AM
Thanks for info, I'll pass it on.

mkleingeld
10-23-2003, 01:10 AM
I have exactly the same problem if I push too much voltage through the cpu. Above 1.725v without HT is no go, above 1.675 with HT no go either.
But when I select something below those values it boots up (almost) always.

Krowbar
10-23-2003, 02:20 PM
Heya,

I had the same problem. My 3.0 would reboot at sub-zero temps when booting up windows while a 2.8 had no problems.

In my case it was an indication of an issue with the chip itself I guess because after about a month, it started to reboot at random even though I had been running it at stock voltage at 240 fsb. (+20% option on P4C800E) on air. It was a nice overclocker too and could do 250 fsb on stock voltage and air. :/

I was able to rma it and the replacement works just fine in the prometeia. But it can only do 252 fsb at stock voltage with phase change and 264 at 1.7v but I suspect the motherboard/memory combo(IC7) is holding me back.